What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 9/15/2023 at 5:03 PM, Treamayne said:

Have you gotten to the end? If not, you'll have to let us know when you do and what you thought of the ending. . .

I haven't finished it yet, and I legitimately have no idea how it will end. Which is kinda weird cuz usually I can at least get the gist of what the ending will be

Quit on Clash of Kings, and I've started Red Rising 3, Morningstar. It is validating my decision with its sheer fun amazingness. 

I also finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and it was an absolute delight. It deserves all the praise I hear it get, and it's consideration as a near modern classic is deserved. I highly recommend it.

Now just to start on A Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. I tried to read it in e-book form, but the pictures were glitchy so I stopped. I hope I can finish it this time.

5 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

I also finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and it was an absolute delight. It deserves all the praise I hear it get, and it's consideration as a near modern classic is deserved. I highly recommend it.

Absolutely concur. I have no experience with the show (or was it a movie - I don't have streaming or any "pay" channels like HBO so I don't follow these things well) but the book was absolutely amazing. In the words of the Iron Druid (IronDruid spoilers / Language warning):

Spoiler

Book 3 - Hammered

“I beg your pardon? What was that? Will they screech and ask me …?”

“No, I said squee.”

“I am not familiar with this verb.”

“It’s a relatively new exclamation. It’s a high-pitched noise of excitement one makes when confronted with a celebrity one worships.”

Leif took a moment to digest this and then he arched a blond eyebrow at me. “Tell me, Atticus, have you ever, ah, squeed? Did I conjugate that correctly?”

“Yes, you did. And, yes, as a matter of fact I have squeed.”

“Do tell.”

“I went to the San Diego Comic-Con a few years back and met one of my favorite authors, and he made me squee involuntarily. I also did a tiny dance and I might have peed a little bit when he shook my hand.”

“You did not,” Leif stated flatly.

<Liar!> Oberon added.

“Okay, maybe I didn’t pee, but I spake truth about the tiny dance or I’m the son of a goat. Authors aren’t huge celebrities to most people, but I’m a guy who appreciates a good story well told. Beyond that, though, I think this man might actually possess supernatural powers. He makes people lose their minds, and I’m sure some of them do lose bladder control as well.”

“I see. And who is this author?”

“Neil storming Gaiman.”

“His second name is storming?”

“No, Leif, that’s the honorary second name all celebrities are given by their fans. It’s not an insult, it’s a huge compliment, and he’s earned it. You’d like him. He dresses all in black like you. Read a couple of his books, and then when you meet him, you’ll squee too.”

Leif found the suggestion distasteful. “I would never behave with so little dignity. Nor would I wish to be confronted in such a manner by anyone else. Vampires inspire screams, not squees. Involuntary urination is common, I grant, but it properly flows from a sense of terror, not an ecstatic sense of hero worship.”

“It properly flows? Are we having a pee pun party?”

5 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Now just to start on A Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. I tried to read it in e-book form, but the pictures were glitchy so I stopped. I hope I can finish it this time.

Oh, you're in for a treat. Often, short stories and novellas playing to format can go awry - but Slow Regard is absolutely magical. Really makes me look forward to the new Novella "The Narrow Road Betwen Desires" (Pre-orders on the Signed Page - and probably other venues).

33 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Oh, you're in for a treat. Often, short stories and novellas playing to format can go awry - but Slow Regard is absolutely magical. Really makes me look forward to the new Novella "The Narrow Road Betwen Desires" (Pre-orders on the Signed Page - and probably other venues).

he's got another Novella coming out? huh, I wasn't aware. I'll have to pick it up at some point. Slow Regard is fantastic as is The Lightning Tree.

48 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

he's got another Novella coming out? huh, I wasn't aware. I'll have to pick it up at some point. Slow Regard is fantastic as is The Lightning Tree.

Here's the details from the newsletter:

Spoiler

The Narrow Road Between Desires by Patrick Rothfuss publishes November 14, 2023. Like many of you, I cannot wait to read it.

Spoiler

narrow_Road.jpg.ba38590986118bb66f044eaf04f13b64.jpg

When he wrote "The Lightning Tree" short story for George R. R. Martin & Gardner Dozois's anthology Rogues, Pat had hoped to have more words to play with to tell the story. But anthology's only have so much space and editors have to be fair to all contributing writers. Now, years later, The Narrow Road Between Desires addresses that, being almost twice as long as "The Lightning Tree."

Bast knows how to bargain. The give-and-take of a negotiation is as familiar to him as the in-and-out of breathing; to watch him trade is to watch an artist at work. But even a master's brush can slip. When he accepts a gift, taking something for nothing, Bast's whole world is knocked askew, for he knows how to bargain—but not how to owe. 

From dawn to midnight over the course of a single day, follow the Kingkiller Chronicle's most charming fae as he schemes and sneaks, dancing into trouble and back out again with uncanny grace.

5 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Absolutely concur. I have no experience with the show (or was it a movie - I don't have streaming or any "pay" channels like HBO so I don't follow these things well) but the book was absolutely amazing. In the words of the Iron Druid (IronDruid spoilers / Language warning):

Reveal hidden contents

Book 3 - Hammered

I've only read three of his so far, the Graveyard Book (I think, it was a while ago, the one with the kid who lived in a graveyard), Good Omens (though that was co-authored, but it still counts), and now this.

I remember not being too impressed by the Graveyard Book, but I liked Good Omens even if it was hindered by me reading it in audio book form. The show redeemed every aspect I didn't like for that one. I will definitely be reading more from him, but he's written so many genres that I'm not necessarily a fan of that I'm being kinda pick and choosy on which ones.

The thing that got me to pick it up was Intentionally Blank actually. They were discussing "the Great American Novel," and had a laugh when a book by a Brit entered their list. I had also heard it called a modern classic, so I figured I might as well read it. Definitely glad I did.

5 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Yeah, they don't tend to be my thing though. I only appreciate prose in audio form due to how I read, so while I love KKC, I can never really appreciate Pat's admittedly magnificent prose. I'm also looking forward to the novella, mostly because it's a sign to me that Pat is doing something. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Originally I was very disappointed in the last Night Angel book since the pacing was absolutely awful and a lot of cool stuff was never really explored, but Lightbringer has been much better so far.

I'm on The Blinding Knife right now. The Black Prism also suffered from some pacing issues but it was definitely better. I especially liked Gavins big secret he's been keeping. That was a neat twist I never saw coming. Blinding Knife has been nothing but good so far. I think Kip makes for an interesting and different protagonist than what I'm used to, and his interactions with the students and teachers at the Blackguard school have been pretty great. Also Andross is terrifying. 

24 minutes ago, Zurvanite said:

Reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Originally I was very disappointed in the last Night Angel book since the pacing was absolutely awful and a lot of cool stuff was never really explored, but Lightbringer has been much better so far.

I'm on The Blinding Knife right now. The Black Prism also suffered from some pacing issues but it was definitely better. I especially liked Gavins big secret he's been keeping. That was a neat twist I never saw coming. Blinding Knife has been nothing but good so far. I think Kip makes for an interesting and different protagonist than what I'm used to, and his interactions with the students and teachers at the Blackguard school have been pretty great. Also Andross is terrifying. 

Oh lucky. 

I'm on the Broken Eye currently on my reread, and so reminded of how much I love this series. You're in for a treat, especially if you're enjoying the Andross interactions.

Some advice I wish I had gotten on my first read-through, pay attention to the interlude style chapters (the tap superviolet tap blue things), beyond even what you normally would. They'll clue you into some important things later.

I'm still on Wrath of Empire by Brian McClellan. I'm liking it the most of GoBaP, but none of them have stood up to Powder Mage or Glass Immortals. Think his strength lies in uncovering the secrets of the worlds, and it's hurting GoBaP.

Re-reading Plague of Giants (Kevin Hearne - Seven Kennings book 1) in prepration for the final book of the trilogy which releases 7 Nov. 

2 hours ago, Zurvanite said:

Originally I was very disappointed in the last Night Angel book since the pacing was absolutely awful and a lot of cool stuff was never really explored

Do you mean book three of the trilogy (Beyond the Shadows) or the new Book 1 of the next trilogy (Nemesis)?

2 hours ago, Zurvanite said:

I'm on The Blinding Knife right now. The Black Prism also suffered from some pacing issues but it was definitely better.

I feel like Mr. Weeks was inspired by Kelsier on this series - There's always another Secret.

55 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Do you mean book three of the trilogy (Beyond the Shadows) or the new Book 1 of the next trilogy (Nemesis)?

Beyond the Shadows. I wasn't aware he was working on another trilogy. I just didn't like the end. It felt extremely rushed with things getting resolved in months in the span of a few pages, and there was a blatant deus ex machina. Don't get me wrong I loved the first and second book, and a lot of the third, but I was so upset at the ending of Beyond the Shadows I swore off reading Weeks books for awhile. He had a lot of neat ideas like the ka'kari, the krul, Khali, and the angels. Garoth Ursuul was also a fantastically evil villain. 

1 minute ago, Zurvanite said:

Beyond the Shadows. I wasn't aware he was working on another trilogy. I just didn't like the end. It felt extremely rushed with things getting resolved in months in the span of a few pages, and there was a blatant deus ex machina. Don't get me wrong I loved the first and second book, and a lot of the third, but I was so upset at the ending of Beyond the Shadows I swore off reading Weeks books for awhile. He had a lot of neat ideas like the ka'kari, the krul, Khali, and the angels. Garoth Ursuul was also a fantastically evil villain. 

I also have not yet read Nemesis (and am hoping for some answers there). Night Angel definitely has some "first series" issues going on, but I have noticed that the rereads helped since some of the foreshadowing of the ending was subtle and easily missed. The Prequel Novella (Perfect Shadow) also helped with some answers, since it was Durzo POV.

Garoth was a great Villain (much better than Neph Dada).

A little sign of what's to come Zurvanite, no real spoilers, just opinions with no details cause I want to gush.

Just finished the first of three Graphic Audio sections for The Broken Eye, Gunner is so so so fun. He's mad in the best kind of way. We get a lot of him through the series, but I still wish I got more.

Andross is still amazing, probably the single best villain I've read, and @Treamayne

Spoiler

Regarding a comment I recall you making about Andross, if there is anyone in any book series ever who makes sense to karma houdini, it's Andross Guile, Red, Promarchos, and most important of all [Redacted] (you know what I'm talking about). He's earned it, I think, if not through action, through sheer force of will and character. 

Gavin is on the best kind of journey, though he himself isn't doing much to entertain, those around him are and will until he gets where he needs to go to shine. Between him and Liv, who is one of the weaker characters for me despite the insights her chapter give, are a great source of the deeper worldbuilding, which I am understanding much better this time.

It's so fun to see amongst the world of dark people and grim circumstances, there's some people that shine innocent light, unprejudiced and untouched. For now.

The only thing that weighs me down is Teia, I never really liked this storyline (well, I didn't hate it on the first readthrough cause the worldbuilding was interesting), in fact, it's what killed my interest on the last reread I tried. 

All in all, so much better than my memory gave it credit for, good enough to get me to take another stab at Night Angel, maybe I'll actually remember to read the second book this time. 

Edited by The Known Novel

9 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Andross is still amazing, probably the single best villain I've read, and @Treamayne

Spoiler

Regarding a comment I recall you making about Andross, if there is anyone in any book series ever who makes sense to karma houdini, it's Andross Guile, Red, Promarchos, and most important of all [Redacted] (you know what I'm talking about). He's earned it, I think, if not through action, through sheer force of will and character. 

Very glad you are enjoying the read-through and that my "it made more sense the third time than the first time" may have contributed to that.

Re: Andross (The Burning White Spoilers)

Spoiler

I'm sorry, but once you cross the moral event horizon and force one of your children to murder/sacrifice another of your children, I will no longer give you a Karma Houdini card. You deserve a storming huge helping of Karma, and you deserve not to survive that karma (unless it's an eternity of actually feeling what you have sacrificed for power).

I don't mind that you like him as a villain, but I cannot. I did until that reveal, and any Antagonist Respect he earned was gone.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

Well, that's it for the Broken Eye. Goodness, I love this series. I forgot so much, and it's helping reveal the foreshadowing at the same time as letting the big reveals hit as hard as they need to.

Spoilers through Broken Eye.

Spoiler

Storming Ironfist, I forgot about Ironfist. And I have such a newfound respect for Tremblefist that I don't think I had before. I'm glad that we can get Tisis now, I remember enjoying her character, and I'm glad to be gone from the cringe that is every moment with Teia. I'm definitely ready to embark into the deeper elements of the world with a better understanding this time. 

Also finished Wrath of Empire. Definitely good, but nowhere near as good as the first Powder Mage series, or Glass Immortals. Looking forward to GI2 or Montego, whichever I get my hands on first.

Started A Blight of Blackwings since @Treamayne reminded me of the series. Decided to skip A Plague of Giants because I've already read it thrice and I have a feeling I would have burned out on it, and I remember enough to go off of.

Now to decide what will be my next audiobook. Probably Night Angel, Dresden 3, or Daniel Green's book. Not sure yet.

8 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Started A Blight of Blackwings since @Treamayne reminded me of the series. Decided to skip A Plague of Giants because I've already read it thrice and I have a feeling I would have burned out on it, and I remember enough to go off of.

Just finished Blight on my pre-Curse of Krakens re-read (mistimed that since I still have a week to wait). BTW, the pre-order flash fiction (A Whisper of Snakes), mentioned here, is apparently a scene from between Days 13 and 16 in A Plague of Giants. Blog Announcement.

Now to decide what will be my next audiobook. Probably Night Angel, Dresden 3, or Daniel Green's book. Not sure yet.

Would the Dresden choice also be a re-read, or is this your first time through?

steadily working my way through my Discworld reread. finished Going Postal last night, and realized I had skipped a couple books because they are listed separately as being "young adult". specifically The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents plus the first 2 Tiffany Aching books. pretty sure I missed The Amazing Maurice before, but Tiffany Aching I've read before and I figure they hold up.

Once I'm through that, I have the "Gods of Blood and Powder" trilogy waiting on standby

3 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Just finished Blight on my pre-Curse of Krakens re-read (mistimed that since I still have a week to wait). BTW, the pre-order flash fiction (A Whisper of Snakes), mentioned here, is apparently a scene from between Days 13 and 16 in A Plague of Giants. Blog Announcement.

Would the Dresden choice also be a re-read, or is this your first time through?

Re-read. I try to make most of my audiobooks rereads. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's what I prefer. I got stuck on Ghost Story my first time through, so I'm hoping I can climb the audiobook chain right up to the latest one.