What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

3 hours ago, The Bald Brandon said:

Rookie numbers.

What's fun is when your library only gives e-loans for 14 days, which is not nearly enough time to read any fantasy novel. So you then have a rotation of three to four books you're halfway through listening 14 days worth at a time. Not to mention your ebook, physical book, and before sleeping book. 

I went on a road trip and have since reread Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card and the Fires of Vengeance by Evan Winters, which are respectively a good book and a great sequel (that can never live up to the divinity of the first).

I then started A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie. I'm not far in yet, but I very recently read Half a King, which was simply amazing. That, combined with the excellence of The First Law trilogy, leaves me very hopeful.

On that road trip, I listened to part of WoR, but have since switched to Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks. WoR is WoR, and Shadow's Edge is okay, but unimpressive. 

I'm hoping to get the next WoT book in when I make another trip next week, but we'll see. Depends what shows up from the library.

which WoT books have you read?

2 hours ago, The Bald Brandon said:

I've finished the seventh I believe. Don't exactly remember but I think that's right. 

I'm a hundred pages away from being done with the eleventh! and I finished the Red Rising and started the Golden Son too. I feel the writing is much better in the second book and I enjoy it much more now.

Currently going through The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. It's OK so far and appeals to my interest in mixing mundane and fantastic, but it's also glaringly obvious a hundred or so pages in who the villain is (or at least one of them). Which makes me think it's not them (or it will be a twist that the way too simple and obvious traitor is in fact the traitor).

After that, probably will go onto Will of the Many by James Islington. I really liked the Licanius trilogy and I've heard good things about this new book.

Edited by jamesbondsmith

32 minutes ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Currently going through The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. It's OK so far and appeals to my interest in mixing mundane and fantastic, but it's also glaringly obvious a hundred or so pages in who the villain is (or at least one of them). Which makes me think it's not them (or it will be a twist that the way too simple and obvious traitor is in fact the traitor).

After that, probably will go onto Will of the Many by James Islington. I really liked the Licanius trilogy and I've heard good things about this new book.

Will of the Many is fantastic! I think you'll not regret reading it.

6 minutes ago, Little_Dagger said:

Will of the Many is fantastic! I think you'll not regret reading it.

That's one of the books I haven't gotten around to reading yet. It's been sitting on my bookshelf since it came out lol

I have a habit of reading/rereading/listening to 3 to 5 books at once, so here are all of them:

Currently listening to - Mistborn:The Final Empire and The Sunlit Man; as well as Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner

Currently Reading - The Rook by Daniel O'Malley and Edgedancer :)

16 hours ago, The Bald Brandon said:

What's fun is when your library only gives e-loans for 14 days, which is not nearly enough time to read any fantasy novel. So you then have a rotation of three to four books you're halfway through listening 14 days worth at a time. Not to mention your ebook, physical book, and before sleeping book. 

I'm only on this many because of my wrist and Hael. Otherwise I'd probably game more, sadly.

1 hour ago, Glorfs Tresses said:

Currently listening to - Mistborn:The Final Empire and The Sunlit Man; as well as Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner

Joining you on The Sunlit Man! I just cleared Red Sky and wasn't really in the mood to move on to steampunk so Sunlit it is 😂 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:17 PM, Kasimir said:

Is this the Shadow Campaigns 👀 

Yup yup! I read each book as it came out years ago, starting with Book 2 or 3 I believe, but I never read the final book. I bought it, but I've put it on the backburner because I didn't want the series to end. I also have the first book of the Ashes of the Sun trilogy, and I've read the prologue and maybe the first chapter a year or two ago, and I've been itching to get back to it. I won't allow myself to read anymore of that until I finish Shadow Campaigns first, and I won't let myself do that until I finish a few more books on my list. I'm trying not to buy anymore books, but I'm halfway through a decent-at-most LitRPG series that's been calling me. So it's looking to be:

Sixth of the Dusk reread (tonight)

New Progression Fantasy series Book 2 

LitRPG Series Books 3 & 4

Decent-at-best LitRPG series books 4 & 5 

Shadow Campaigns Book 5 

Ashes of the Sun Book 1 

All-in-all, I could probably get to Shadow Campaigns by April 1, especially since my school district has Good Friday and "Easter Monday" off, but we'll see. I have a few Kindle samples to try out as well, and the reading of Secret Project 5 may put a wrench in things. 

On 3/19/2024 at 10:45 PM, The Bald Brandon said:

I've finished the seventh I believe. Don't exactly remember but I think that's right. 

oh so the slowness has started for you(by that i mean the books grind to a stand still in there speed)

On 3/20/2024 at 1:09 AM, Little_Dagger said:

I'm a hundred pages away from being done with the eleventh! and I finished the Red Rising and started the Golden Son too. I feel the writing is much better in the second book and I enjoy it much more now.

ooh i think thats the last one written by Robert jorden!

2 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

oh so the slowness has started for you(by that i mean the books grind to a stand still in there speed)

We'll certainly see, but they've all been the same level of plodding so far. I think the real slog is supposed to be 9-10 so I think I might be safe for a little while longer.

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Yup yup! I read each book as it came out years ago, starting with Book 2 or 3 I believe, but I never read the final book. I bought it, but I've put it on the backburner because I didn't want the series to end. I also have the first book of the Ashes of the Sun trilogy, and I've read the prologue and maybe the first chapter a year or two ago, and I've been itching to get back to it. I won't allow myself to read anymore of that until I finish Shadow Campaigns first, and I won't let myself do that until I finish a few more books on my list. I'm trying not to buy anymore books, but I'm halfway through a decent-at-most LitRPG series that's been calling me. So it's looking to be:

Enjoy! I loved the Shadow Campaigns and was just thinking to myself I wanted to do a re-read. Did not realise he'd done Ashes of the Sun so I guess that's added to my list.

Just finished:

-Red Sky in the Morning

Children's book, does one thing, does it well. Liked how my response to the book shifts with age to a certain distance from the protagonist, which is a sign Laird catches the teen mindset well. Liked the sign of the strains on the family in the background, because of course the protagonist is too young and shielded from much of this.

-The Sunlit Man

Both disappointed by Nomad at the start but greatly enjoyed the book. Continue to remember banter is not Sanderson's strong suit and I actively wince when reading him doing it (cf. de Castell's Greatcoats.) This was the SP I looked forward to the most and not disappointed. Generally a banger.

-God-Emperor of Dune

I like GEoD more now that I better understand what the book is about. Probably a lot I could say about different moving parts, but I'll save that for my review journal/tracker.

Currently reading:

-Yumi
-The Winged Histories (re-read)
-Heretics of Dune (guess I couldn't stop 😔)

1 hour ago, The Bald Brandon said:

We'll certainly see, but they've all been the same level of plodding so far. I think the real slog is supposed to be 9-10 so I think I might be safe for a little while longer.

im trying to remember where the slog was. its been a while since i last read the books. have you read them all for the first time or is this a re read?

4 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

ooh i think thats the last one written by Robert jorden!

It is! I am excited to see where Brandon took the books.

I would say the slog was books 8 to 10, but that's arbitrary. Robert Jordan didn't exactly wrote Dan Brown-style thrillers, haha.

6 minutes ago, Little_Dagger said:

It is! I am excited to see where Brandon took the books.

I would say the slog was books 8 to 10, but that's arbitrary. Robert Jordan didn't exactly wrote Dan Brown-style thrillers, haha.

i realy enjoyed the brandon books. the pace really picks up there. what are your predictions? put in spoiler boxes so as not to spoil it for @The Bald Brandon

20 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

im trying to remember where the slog was. its been a while since i last read the books. have you read them all for the first time or is this a re read?

First time through. Promised myself I'd make it all the way before reading EotW again, but it's hard. 

12 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

i realy enjoyed the brandon books. the pace really picks up there. what are your predictions? put in spoiler boxes so as not to spoil it for @The Bald Brandon

Hmm, predictions... let's see.

Spoiler

We are told that Rand must die in order to live again. So assume he will survive the Last battle, but will be dead at some point there. Not sure whether old good CPR will bring him to life or he will be reborn the same way the Forsaken keep coming back, but I think he will pull through.

I think Moraine will come back (there seems to be a good chance of that, considering Lanfear survived the fall into the red frame, and Min saw her alive). I hope she does, anyway. I really liked her character and the other Aes Sedai don't live up to her level of coolness.

I think Moraine and Thom will end up together? Weird, but... I need to see more of them together.

Malkier will probably be alive again and Lan will rule.

Elayne will be the queen of Andor, Egwene will reunite the Tower.

There are the major ones I can think of. Will be curious to see if I got any of them right once I'm through.

16 minutes ago, The Bald Brandon said:

First time through. Promised myself I'd make it all the way before reading EotW again, but it's hard. 

ooh i am to scared to re start. i don't have the years upon years to re read wot. if i start i know i will get stuck back in.

1 minute ago, Little_Dagger said:

Hmm, predictions... let's see.

Hide contents

We are told that Rand must die in order to live again. So assume he will survive the Last battle, but will be dead at some point there. Not sure whether old good CPR will bring him to life or he will be reborn the same way the Forsaken keep coming back, but I think he will pull through.

I think Moraine will come back (there seems to be a good chance of that, considering Lanfear survived the fall into the red frame, and Min saw her alive). I hope she does, anyway. I really liked her character and the other Aes Sedai don't live up to her level of coolness.

I think Moraine and Thom will end up together? Weird, but... I need to see more of them together.

Malkier will probably be alive again and Lan will rule.

Elayne will be the queen of Andor, Egwene will reunite the Tower.

There are the major ones I can think of. Will be curious to see if I got any of them right once I'm through.

Spoiler

those are good predictions. 

Starting the ReZero light novel, at volume 15, which is the last volume adapted into S2. I wanted to read it rather than jumping into the next arc to get a refresher for the end of S2, as well as to see if there's anything at the end of the book that wasn't adapted because it was being saved for S3. I'm going to be reading this while at home (because I'll be damned if I walk out in public with some of those book covers, volume 17's cover would bring me neverending shame), and continuing to read Darker Shade of Magic whenever I go out.

Four books left to the goal Hael and I set.

Just finished:

-Yumi

I think I'll like it better the second time around. Hoid narrating is tiresome (back to my problems with Sanderson and banter) and Yumi had to grow on me but really enjoyed Kilahito as a setting. That Sanderlanche was insanely good though.

-The Winter Road

I have not in a while read a book I should love but really hated and only read because I wanted to see the protagonist suffer. Strong character voice, fascinating setting, protagonist who has Issues but I'm told to root for without the author ever doing the damn work to make me want to.

Currently reading:

-The Winged Histories (re-read)
-Heretics of Dune
-Snakewood (promised myself to DNF if I hate it as it's by the same author as TWR and commonly held to be the weaker book.)