What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Dresden files are an awesome read.

Starting in on the third Dragon Age novel.  Hot dam, what a ride so far.  Love the universe, or hate it.  If your into the games, then I would absolutely recommend the novels to you.  They really help to expand on some of the topics barely touched upon in the games.  And help to give the characters a third dimension.

Finished Ghostly Echoes. Just as excellent as the previous Jackaby books! I've now started Lincoln's Wizard by Tracy Hickman and Dan Willis, which I have been putting off for far too long. I'm only on page 27 but I'm already finding it highly entertaining.

Let's see, it's been a while since I've updated this.... 

Lords and Ladies- Pratchett

Maskerade- Pratchett

Johnny and the Dead- Pratchett

Wanderings, a history of the Jews- Chaim Potok

Re listening to some Harry Potter books. 

The Dark Knight Returns

New 52 Flash comics 

The 7 habits of highly effective people- Covey 

Can't go wrong with any of those, @Morzathoth.

I myself finished The Book of Cain. Which is alright, if you are a fan of the Diablo franchise.

Am now (finally) reading Randall Munroe's (the XKCD guy) What If? book. I am mildly disappointed that a large fraction of the content in it comes directly from the respective section on the website (i.e. there isn't as much new content as I had hoped there would be). But it's still something I would recommend unconditionally. 

1 hour ago, Argent said:

Am now (finally) reading Randall Munroe's (the XKCD guy) What If? book. I am mildly disappointed that a large fraction of the content in it comes directly from the respective section on the website (i.e. there isn't as much new content as I had hoped there would be). But it's still something I would recommend unconditionally. 

I love this book.  It's so very good.

12 hours ago, Argent said:

Oh man, that book is soooo hilarious! I added so many quotes to GoodReads after I finished it. My biggest disappointment, however, was that the T-rex and the Sarlacc pit featured on the cover were nowhere to be found in the book.

6 minutes ago, goody153 said:

People i know who have read Malazan and Brandon Sanderson books keep saying Malazan is the best fantasy stuff they've ever read. So far so good but i can't help but feel this book is dark like even at the start lol

It is. I made it through the first book okay, but I had to stop midway through the second, it was getting far too violent and dark for my tastes. I still get the appeal, but as I understand it, they really are all very dark. 

Almost finished with The Long Earth, by Sir Terry Pratchett and Baxter. It's good, but the cursing is annoying. 

Well i like this level of being dark

It's also not like emphasized on making grotesque details(or maybe not yet). Some proclaimed "dark" books i've read tend to be really grimmy with the physical details when those things don't really move me it's the disturbing with disturbing implication that get you to feel pity or anger not because of the gore yeah that's the stuff

Edited by goody153

I liked Malazan when I read it, it is definitely kind of dark, but I was OK with that. the one thing that bothered me about it was that I'm not sure how well it cohered into a single story.  basically I felt that there were a bunch of character threads that kind of just dropped or were only barely addressed by the end of the series.

7 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I liked Malazan when I read it, it is definitely kind of dark, but I was OK with that. the one thing that bothered me about it was that I'm not sure how well it cohered into a single story.  basically I felt that there were a bunch of character threads that kind of just dropped or were only barely addressed by the end of the series.

Actually that is because Erikson has a certain philosophy towards his storytelling. Everything is set in a huge world where lots of things are happening. Some of those things maybe entirely relevant to the story and we get to see their resolution, some are partially relevant, they enter the story and then leave on their own journey and some are irrelevant so maybe we will only hear allusions about them. 

To put it in the context of our world, say we are reading a story about the second world war, and one of the many PoVs is a Brazilian kid. In 1939 the german pocket battleship the Admiral Graf Spee fought the battle of the River Plate against the British and then was scuttled. Lets say the Brazilian kid befriends and takes care of an injured german sailor. And we never see them again. Would you say this is a wrong thing to happen in the story?

I am reading the Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan. Its really quite good.