Elantrian Constellations

I´v always thought that "base aeon strength" was wht Raoden had before Elatris was fixed(but after he added the chasm line to his aeon spells). elantrians post-fixing (or pre-chasm) I thought to be an irregular boost, kinda;)(if you can call the thing thats been standard for most of the time irregular;)).

Thus, I figure some sort of an amulet or tablet with the same principle as Elantris might mean they can still keep part of the boost when traveling. And the weaker powerlevel likely dont get below what Raoden had in taht period. So they would have some power even on other planets, wich could be increased by carrying a miniature elantris around(or maybe even tattoed to themselves?)

Edited by dyring

Here's what I think Elantris/Rao does, and why it wouldn't work like that.

I think that once, long ago, anyone standing on the soil that we call Arelon could draw a symbol, on a piece of paper or in the dirt or whatever. I think that it would have an effect, likely one far less powerful even than what Raoden could do once he had the Chasm Line but before he fixed the Shaod. I think that someone crafted an enormous system of cities for the express purpose of concentrating the magic, making a very few very powerful at the expense of magic-for-all. Rao turns a few people into Elantrians, who can draw the symbols in the air, channel far greater power than the old practitioners could, and have an instinctive knowledge of the Aons (hence Raoden trying to draw the chasm line and, despite a lack of decent cartographical data, somehow "feeling" that he was near the right place).

If so, Elantris acts as... this is woefully inaccurate, but try to understand the point I'm making. Elantris acts as a signal booster (except it doesn't expressly boost it, it refines it, but we on Earth don't (i think) have anything like that). On Arelish soil, it can change how the Dor is accessed, and "attune" people on Arelish soil to its power. If you simply draw Rao on a sheet of paper and carry it around, there's no signal to boost. Yes, technically it would do the same thing Elantris does, but Elantris isn't generating any signal, it's just modifying it. If you were able to find an area with a reserve of power similar enough to Arelish Dor (and it would have to be EXCEEDINGLY simila, since the way magic works over a mountain range or across a sea is apparently too different to work, so I don't think anything like the Well of Ascension or an abundance of Breath would count) then yes, you could draw Rao and possibly have greater power as an Elantrian.

Magic on Sel is regional. This is one of the few basic, hard-and-fast rules of Sel. I see a lot of people on the fora trying to explain how you can get over/around this limitation with a simple fix that people on Sel would have thought of long ago. I can't speak for anyone else, but you'll have to come up with an incredibly convincing argument based firmly in strict WoB to get past the idea that magic IS regional.

If so, Elantris acts as... this is woefully inaccurate, but try to understand the point I'm making. Elantris acts as a signal booster (except it doesn't expressly boost it, it refines it, but we on Earth don't (i think) have anything like that).

Sure we do, it's called the US capitol building.  It concentrates, refines and channels stupidity into the people who work there. :P

We have WoB stating you can get magics to work off their planet. I believe he expressly states "Sel would take some work." My break just ended so someone else will have to find the quote. I think there's a lot of weirdness with AonDor. And the other systems of Sel just make AonDor more odd, since the others don't have a singular event occur that enables you. There's something of a chicken/egg conundrum with Elantris, being a giant Aon, controlling who can and can't make Aons.

Here's what I think Elantris/Rao does, and why it wouldn't work like that.

I think that once, long ago, anyone standing on the soil that we call Arelon could draw a symbol, on a piece of paper or in the dirt or whatever. I think that it would have an effect, likely one far less powerful even than what Raoden could do once he had the Chasm Line but before he fixed the Shaod. I think that someone crafted an enormous system of cities for the express purpose of concentrating the magic, making a very few very powerful at the expense of magic-for-all. Rao turns a few people into Elantrians, who can draw the symbols in the air, channel far greater power than the old practitioners could, and have an instinctive knowledge of the Aons (hence Raoden trying to draw the chasm line and, despite a lack of decent cartographical data, somehow "feeling" that he was near the right place).

If so, Elantris acts as... this is woefully inaccurate, but try to understand the point I'm making. Elantris acts as a signal booster (except it doesn't expressly boost it, it refines it, but we on Earth don't (i think) have anything like that). On Arelish soil, it can change how the Dor is accessed, and "attune" people on Arelish soil to its power. If you simply draw Rao on a sheet of paper and carry it around, there's no signal to boost. Yes, technically it would do the same thing Elantris does, but Elantris isn't generating any signal, it's just modifying it. If you were able to find an area with a reserve of power similar enough to Arelish Dor (and it would have to be EXCEEDINGLY simila, since the way magic works over a mountain range or across a sea is apparently too different to work, so I don't think anything like the Well of Ascension or an abundance of Breath would count) then yes, you could draw Rao and possibly have greater power as an Elantrian.

Magic on Sel is regional. This is one of the few basic, hard-and-fast rules of Sel. I see a lot of people on the fora trying to explain how you can get over/around this limitation with a simple fix that people on Sel would have thought of long ago. I can't speak for anyone else, but you'll have to come up with an incredibly convincing argument based firmly in strict WoB to get past the idea that magic IS regional.

Magic on Sel is regional, but it seems that AonDor seems to be the only Selian magic that grows noticably weaker as you move away from the land, probably due to the the amplifying effect of Elantris. Forgers seem to be able to use soul stamps wherever they want. There is no hint that bloodsealers, ChayShan, or the Darkhor magic have this restriction, either.

Magic on Sel is regional, but it seems that AonDor seems to be the only Selian magic that grows noticably weaker as you move away from the land, probably due to the the amplifying effect of Elantris. Forgers seem to be able to use soul stamps wherever they want. There is no hint that bloodsealers, ChayShan, or the Darkhor magic have this restriction, either.

Brandon has said that soulstamps lose power the farther they get from MaiPon.

• Chaos locked this topic