What's the Easter egg on the Roshar map??

The Honor Spren

INTERVIEW: Mar 8th, 2014

WOR-University Bookstore (Paraphrased)

AHOYMATEY

Is there anything that I should have asked that I didn't?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Probably not... Do you know if anyone has figured out the hidden things in the map of Roshar?

INTERVIEW: Mar 19th, 2014

WoR Signing Report - darkanimereal1 and luke (Verbatim)

QUESTION

Which map holds the Easter Egg?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The main map of Roshar.

QUESTION

From which book?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Either book, it's the main one that will go in each copy. It's VERY hard and it won't change a whole lot.

QUESTION

Does it have anything to do with the compass?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not the compass.

INTERVIEW: Mar 20th, 2014

WOR Signing Report - IronCaf (Paraphrased)

SHICACA ()

I was looking at the map of Roshar and it kinda looked like a spiral galaxy to me, like it was flipping a certain way.

BRANDON SANDERSON

That was intentional. You are on to something that no one's figured out yet.

SHICACA

I was thinking it could be connected to people being able to manipulate gravity.

BRANDON SANDERSON

It's not exactly what you think you're on to, but you're getting close to something that they've all wanted to know for a while.

WHAT IS IT?? HAS ANYONE FOUND IT YET? Here is a picture. One, two, three, theorize!!

p8vc2.jpg

Edited by The Honor Spren

One other thing. . . I'm looking around the edges of the map. There are the ten heralds, and all ten are there.

But there is one more face that appears above the chapters, that wears a mask. Who is that? It's obviously not one of the heralds, now that I see them all together. Is it Hoid maybe??

It may or may not be Hoid specifically. That face appears before chapters when Hoid is present or discussed, but also when other worldhoppers appear and Hoid is nowhere to be seen. In the Tor reread posts that face is called the "jester", which could mean Hoid specifically in his role as King's Wit, but could also be a more general "wildcard" indicating that something out-of-the-norm is occurring.

Kay I still have a dumb question.

...What does this hidden thing MEAN?

Is there any significance? Does this have any bearing on anything in the story?

Mistborn Spoilers

Is it like the 16's in the mist, just a clue that something has been artificially done?

Does it mean something intelligent deliberately shaped the continent? Is the fact that it was a Julia Set relevant, or is simply the fact that it's something mathematical relevant? I mean, the Golden Ratio is found in nature and shells grow in the Fibonacci Sequence (disclaimer: I may have those facts slightly muddled, but something similar is true). There's no real significance in those facts. Does this mean something? What actually is a Julia Set? To what things is it relevant, mathematically? Like? Avagadro's Number is all about counting molecules. Pi is the ratio found in circles. What is a Julia Set?

I think it just means Tanavast was a math geek :ph34r:. I mean, simetry, cymathics, 2D shadows of 3D cuts of 4D mathematical constructs...

Been wondering for a while . . . I don't think you're spelling "symmetry" correctly.

Sorry. English is not my native language, and I am writing on my smartphone, so it is harder to double check before posting.

English isn't your native language?! :o Wow. You are really good at it. I would have never guessed.

Before I had any replies, I thought it might be that it had something to do with the unmade that "holds my sorrow in his hand and consumes it." That island on the lest looks like a hand. That little trail to the right of it could be an arm.

I think it just means Tanavast was a math geek :ph34r:. I mean, simmetry, cymathics, 2D shadows of 3D cuts of 4D mathematical constructs...

Science is awesome, and math is the science of numbers.

It's given us computers, cars, televisions, flight, space travel, better food (and more importantly, better beer), better houses, better brains (yes, really.  The mean IQ has steadily increased over the last 100 years), helped us overcome diseases, and is working on neural implants, replacing lost limbs, even cleaner energy, space elevators, diamond nanothreads (mathematically the strongest material in the universe), and artificial muscles (including bones, tendons, and ligaments) that are hundreds of times stronger than what we have now.

Tanavest has an infinite amount of excellent reasons to love math.

• Chaos locked this topic