Random Stuff II

I didn't realize how terrible it was that the world was missing a My Little Pony / Brother Bear crossover until I saw this. :lol::D

tell_everypony_i_m_on_my_way_by_8bitamy-

Brother Bear is on the list of Movies Twi's Parents Didn't Let Her See Because Something Something Animism. Should it go on the list of Movies Twi Is Going to Watch Now Because It's On Netflix? :ph34r:

Brother Bear is on the list of Movies Twi's Parents Didn't Let Her See Because Something Something Animism. Should it go on the list of Movies Twi Is Going to Watch Now Because It's On Netflix? :ph34r:

Oh you poor dear. :(

YES. A thousand times yes. This rivals only Wall-E as my favorite Disney movie of all time. And despite having some heavy animist and shamanistic concepts, I would argue that it's actually one of Disney's most inherently Christian productions in terms of the morals it presents.

I feel so old reading about your high school problems :( So I'll complain about going back to work this monday :<

You and me both.  Except that I'm at work right now.  :ph34r:

...what?  I'm on break.

Oh you poor dear. :(

YES. A thousand times yes. This rivals only Wall-E as my favorite Disney movie of all time. And despite having some heavy animist and shamanistic concepts, I would argue that it's actually one of Disney's most inherently Christian productions in terms of the morals it presents.

There were a lot of movies that wound up on that and similar lists, actually. Mulan was banned at one point because of ancestor worship, Teen Titans because....cartoon violence, I think? They let me watch Static Shock, even if they periodically teased me for liking superhero shows, and TT really isn't any worse....

So yeah. Not sure what their standards were, but I'll give Brother Bear a shot. :ph34r:

There were a lot of movies that wound up on that and similar lists, actually. Mulan was banned at one point because of ancestor worship, Teen Titans because....cartoon violence, I think? They let me watch Static Shock, even if they periodically teased me for liking superhero shows, and TT really isn't any worse....

So yeah. Not sure what their standards were, but I'll give Brother Bear a shot. :ph34r:

Then go watch Road to El Dorado because WHY not

but your parents though

what

wait, please don't tell me Lion king was banned too oh no

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

Then go watch Road to El Dorado because WHY not

but your parents though

what

wait, please don't tell me Lion king was banned too oh no

No, I think most of their banning was a reaction TO Lion King. They hadn't watched it before they gave it to my brother and me one Christmas, and when they finally saw it they were stunned by the "New Agey-ness." (Which I know, because my mom has told me that story whenever I bring up a Disney movie she banned in my childhood.) So LK stayed, but from then on any movies with magic were given the hairy eyeball. Aladdin, for example, wasn't allowed for years because Robin Williams had reality-warping powers in it.

No, I think most of their banning was a reaction TO Lion King. They hadn't watched it before they gave it to my brother and me one Christmas, and when they finally saw it they were stunned by the "New Agey-ness." (Which I know, because my mom has told me that story whenever I bring up a Disney movie she banned in my childhood.) So LK stayed, but from then on any movies with magic were given the hairy eyeball. Aladdin, for example, wasn't allowed for years because Robin Williams had reality-warping powers in it.

What

Don't even get me started on what they said when I told them I might want to give the Harry Potter books a try. <_<

My cousins couldn't read or watch Harry Potter because my Uncle was one of those "only God can perform miracles and magic" people. It took a stern lecture from my mother to get him to allow his son to read the Potter book she got my cousin for Christmas.

Moral of the story, sometimes people can be misguided.

Edited by Blaze1616

My cousins couldn't read or watch Harry Potter because my Uncle was one of those "only God can perform miracles and magic" people. It took a stern lecture from my mother to get him to allow his son to read the Potter book she got my cousin for Christmas.

Moral of the story, sometimes people can be misguided.

My brother and I have both read the books multiple times. We've told our mom that it isn't about worshipping Satan between classes. My brother actually explained the magic system as best he could once. She still proclaims they're evil books about worshipping Satan between classes.

Moral of this story: Sometimes people want so badly to be right that they'll ignore blatant evidence to the contrary.

Twi's mother logic.

10538c0d6d2842fc92c76421f26bc54e.jpg

My brother and I have both read the books multiple times. We've told our mom that it isn't about worshipping Satan between classes. My brother actually explained the magic system as best he could once. She still proclaims they're evil books about worshipping Satan between classes.

Moral of this story: Sometimes people want so badly to be right that they'll ignore blatant evidence to the contrary.

My dad was the same with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. To him, "all magic is diabolic."

That was until he saw the movies and enjoyed them. Then they were all right because "Oh, it's just good vs evil! That's cool!"

<_<

Moral of this story: Things are evil unless YOU like them, then they are morally permissible.

My dad was the same with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. To him, "all magic is diabolic."

That was until he saw the movies and enjoyed them. Then they were all right because "Oh, it's just good vs evil! That's cool!"

<_<

Moral of this story: Things are evil unless YOU like them, then they are morally permissible.

Probably why, despite their "no animist/New Age/magic themes at all ever" rule, the Star Wars movies were allowed alongside The Never-ending Story, The Wizard of Oz and other nostalgia-heavy movies. <_<

Probably why, despite their "no animist/New Age/magic themes at all ever" rule, the Star Wars movies were allowed alongside The Never-ending Story, The Wizard of Oz and other nostalgia-heavy movies. <_<

Do they know that you've read the Harry Potter books now as an adult?