Leading Spook?

aeromancer

Spook receives instructions somewhere in hero of ages telling him to send Vin the hemalurgy warning that Marsh intercepts, giving Marsh a)the knowledge of the Vin's earring, and b0the way to fight Ruin. Sazed stresses that the message "saved them all". WHO GAVE SPOOK THOSE INSTRUCTIONS?

Edited by aeromancer

There is actually word of Brandon on this. There are, I believe, two instances of Kelsier genuinely speaking to Spook. This is possible because Spook genuinely believes in Kelsier as a deity. I would dig up the quote but I'm on mobile. I'm actually surprised Phantom hasn't already :P

Hi aeromancer! Brandon wrote annotations for all the chapters of the Mistborn trilogy. Here are a couple that talk about what the real Kelsier (not Ruin in disguise) was doing in Hero of Ages:

There's also this interview with Brandon where he says that Kelsier stayed in the Cognitive realm (a.k.a. Shadesmar) after he died.

Also this one

Reddit

This is an awesome answer!

If you wouldn't mind answering, does Roshar have a similar problem, with Honor being Splintered?

Thanks!

No, Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The Seons and the Skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial.

And Kelsier also leads Elend to the Terris camp?

That was Vin.

Basically, between his death and the end of the series (and possibly further; there have been hints), Kelsier is hanging around dead in the cognitive realm.  Between the time when Leras died and Vin took the power of preservation, Kelsier was able to take control of it a little bit (not fully like Vin or Sazed did).

Thus you can tell if it is the real Kelsier by:

(a) is Leras dead?

(B) is the recipient free of metal?

© does the recipient have faith in Kelsier?

(d) has Vin/Sazed not ascended?

That pretty much leaves Spook for a very brief time in Hero of Ages.  It doesn't happen much.

• Chaos locked this topic