What Happens if Shallan draws Kaladin

Binnut

Agreed.  Shallan saw/drew several cryptics.  There were more than one hanging about her.  This is a key reason why I am skeptical that her bond with the cryptic that took her to Shadesmar is a Nahel bond.  I suspect that the bond with the cryptic is transient, like paying the ferryman.

I think Jasnah will have a spren, but not a Cryptic.

The situation w/freeing the child was fishy as heck.  The word is that T doesn't have soulcasters, but one of his agents uses one in Szeth's presence.  I believe that whole situation was manipulated to study Jasnah.  Since they know how Soulcasters work, they can see if she is really using hers. 

@Shardlet

I doubt the bond is transient. The Cryptic says "The stronger the truth, the more hidden it is, the more powerful the bond.", and then Shallan drops a pretty fundamental truth.

I see from this that the bond isn't transient. First of all, it's not described as a toll, but as a "bond." Second, that's a pretty big truth, and it seems to be important that Shallan would share it. So what, is she just going to keep saying that every time she wants to soulcast? That takes some of the import out of it, I would say. Or does she need to keep coming up with new truths every time? In that case, then Jasnah "wasted" a finite number of truths by, among other things, turning some wine into crystal for a paperweight.

I agree with Kurk on this one. I think a Bond is forming over time. In a similar way in which Kaladin's Bond took time to build up.

Hoser brings up a very good point which I had never thought of before. We explicitly see one of Teravangians own men doing exactly the same thing Jasnah does, except with a wall instead of a boulder. It is very possible Teravangian, the most dubious man of them all, suspected that Jasnah was Soulcasting using a Surge instead of a Soulcaster and wanted to see for himself.

I agree that it appears that Taravangian set up the cave-in to observe Jasnah soulcasting up close.  There are apparent differences between Jasnah's soulcasting of the boulder and the soulcasting from te interlude. 

However, although I agree that Taravangian's means are atrocious, he appears to earnestly believe that what he is doing will save the world.  Whether his methods could ultimately achieve that goal (absent interference), I don't know.  Also, where did he get his information from that set him on this course?  I doubt he will be a 'hero' (though he could play a Hrathenesque role) and I suspect he is being deceived.

Edited by Shardlet

I'm torn when it comes to Jasnah's Soulcasting abilities. It appears, due to the fact that her hand sinks into the boulder that she is somehow linked to the electromagnetism Surge, but the fact that she could use Light to reach out and touch the thugs to Soulcast them would indicate she is possibly using Light as a Surge.

Maybe Jasnah is using a different form of Soulcasting altogether that isn't related to a Surge or a Fabrial.

Agreed.  Shallan saw/drew several cryptics.  There were more than one hanging about her.  This is a key reason why I am skeptical that her bond with the cryptic that took her to Shadesmar is a Nahel bond.  I suspect that the bond with the cryptic is transient, like paying the ferryman.

The following quote appears to support that cryptics are bonding spren. At least from the way I read it.

Telcontar
Is one of the symbolhead-spren (or maybe all of them) responsible for Shallan's ability to Soulcast (in the way that Syl is responsible for Kaladin's Lashings)?
Brandon Sanderson
There is indeed a similar relationship there.

• Chaos locked this topic