What are you playing right now?

Been playing Trails in the Sky and Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

I'm super hyped about the Triangle Strategy Game (working title) Square Enix announced on the Nintendo Direct yesterday. Looks like a spiritual successor to FFT or Vagrant Story, with HD2D Octopath Traveler aesthetic.

Edited by NattyBo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week I beat Mass Effect Andromeda. Much to my surprise, it was really enjoyable and it certainly whet my appetite for the Mass Effect Legendary Edition on May 14. Next on my list was Persona 5 Strikers, but I think I'll try to hold off on playing it until after Mass Effect. I have this weirdly impossible hope that a Fire Emblem 4 remake will be announced soon and will be released on the 25th anniversary of the original game's release...which also happens to be May 14. On that day I'd buy the aforementioned Fire Emblem remake, Mass Effect, Persona 5 Strikers, and XCOM 2 for good measure.* Since a remake hasn't been teased, leaked, or announced, I'm not going to count on it coming out.** But on May 14 I'll still buy Mass Effect, Persona 5 Strikers, and XCOM 2. (Maybe I'll add in New Pokémon Snap or Disgaea 4.) These three games should easily hold me until Rune Factory 5 comes out later this year, and the combination of all of those should hold me until Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl...assuming I pick it up. Horizon: Forbidden West is also on the docket, but I don't mind holding off on that until there are a few more PS5 exclusive/optimized games I want to pick up.

*The playing order would be: Fire Emblem remake, Mass Effect Legendary Edition (M!Shep, Paragon, Tali Romance, Engineer/Sniper), XCOM, Mass Effect Legendary Edition (Fem!Shep, Paragon, Garrus Romance, Vanguard), Fire Emblem remake, finish my latest Persona 5 Vanilla NG+ run, and Persona 5 Strikers. From there I'd probably alternate any future ME playthroughs (at least one Miranda romance and one Thane romance) with Rune Factory 5 and any other game that comes out that I'll buy. 

**There have been dubious rumors at best, mostly by one person who isn't fully accurate with their predictions/leaks and as such should have their word taken with a giant grain of salt. And while yes, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems don't mind short windows between announcements and release dates as seen with Paper Mario: The Origami King, there still needs to be time to promote the game. Origami King had two months between its announcement (May 14) and its release (July 17). For that theoretical FE 4 remake to do the same, it'd need to be announced this upcoming week at the latest. What is more likely is that a remake will be announced either on the anniversary of the original game (March 29 for FE 6, May 14 for FE 4) or on the anniversary of the first game (April 20). From there it would most likely have a July release window like Three Houses did. Again, assuming there's a game to release this year, which isn't a guarantee at all. 

Playing the 5th and 6th Ace Attorney games and periodically going back to Assassin’s Creed Valhalla when new stuff drops. A new festival season starts this week so I’m going to see what it entails once it starts. I’m hoping it’s better than the stuff from Yule since I’m getting restless for Ireland, Paris and Discovery Mode since the river raids didn’t cut it.

On 3/15/2021 at 3:32 PM, Briar King said:

I had no clue FF7 Remake was free game this month. Wasn’t anyway I was going to pay for this project till it was completed but sure I will download for free no problem.

You might want to wait for the PS5 edition to drop since it’s going to have improved graphics and performance along with a new episode focusing on Yuffie showing what she’s up to during the Midgar story.

1 hour ago, Draginon said:

You might want to wait for the PS5 edition to drop since it’s going to have improved graphics and performance along with a new episode focusing on Yuffie showing what she’s up to during the Midgar story.

For real? And here I bought that game on release day like a sucker! 

16 hours ago, Orlionra said:

For real? And here I bought that game on release day like a sucker! 

There’s good news for us PS4 players, you can crossplay where you can transfer your save file, get the graphical updates for free and only have to pay for Yuffie as DLC.

Been playing Reside Evil 0 for my Nintendo Switch Lite.  Been a long long time since I used to have the game for my Gamecube 17 years ago. 

Im at the tail end of the game at the end water plant . just killed the proto tyrant. Now getting the last things like the battery for the forklift etc. Then whenever I get done with the game im going to play Resident Evil Remake HD for my Nintendo Switch Lite

Finished Nier Automata, and I have no words right now. Just wow. It wasn’t my favourite game, but I appreciate what it set out to do. The soundtrack is amazing as well; it’s quickly becoming one of my favourites. 

Now I need a calming game where I can turn off my brain and just relax. The rest of my backlog will have to wait :P

Finally, 4 years after the hype, I finished The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild after something over 140 hours. It's probably the most perfect open world game I've played gameplay-wise. I'm admittedly behind the times with those type of games but, I don't know, I have a hard time imagining exploration handled better than here. It can be improved, obviously, but the bases are there now. There's this feeling that disappears after enough stamina and shrines, but at the beginning, when you have to plan every trip, even if you're only going around that mountain you just found, and look for a route because the terrain is difficult or maybe it's raining, it's amazing, really. The combat is varied and fun, I had heard otherwise but really, you can try to play this like every other Zelda and you'll suck at it. You need to dodge, parry, block, and every enemy has different timings. If you don't learn you'll be wasting a lot of food and it's pretty rewarding once you start getting better at it.

There's two ways to play this. You can either play it big and move long distances from high point to high point or you can focus on the details, hunting, sneaking around enemies, finding little secrets, and at the end open the map and find that you moved a space the size of a coin. Both ways are incredibly fun, somehow.

The soundtrack. The freaking soundtrack. That also has two faces, the one it shows during "moments" and the one it shows out in the field. I seem to remember Andrei Tarkovsky saying the perfect soundtrack for a movie would be the one that mixes with its natural sounds, and becomes indistinguishable from them. The things you hear while exploring remind me a lot of that idea. It all mixes with the world around you. I for example love how the riding music is all in groups of four notes, like it's trying to mimic your horses' hooves touching the ground.

And the music you hear during story moments. The fact that exploration music is so minimalistic and calming makes the story tracks all the more memorable. They're amazing, Attack on Vah Ruta is one of the best pieces of music to appear in a Zelda game and you can't convince me otherwise.

All of this and I still managed to have mixed feelings about the game. I don't know, I thought I knew what to expect, but that wasn't the case. People said the story was short, I was fine with that. I prefer story-focused Zelda games (there's a reason my favorites are Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword), but this was clearly focused on the gameplay, with all the freedom and exploration and I didn't mind. But it turned out that there was a great story behind this, but it wasn't short, it just wasn't in the game. This turned out to be one of my favorite Zelda stories and it's not in the game.

The few characters still alive tell you about awesome stuff that happened 100 years ago. Their diaries feel more like an epilogue because everything happened 100 years ago. The places you visit have stories turned legend about what happened 100 years ago. The memories give you 2-minute chunks of what happened 100 years ago. Everything happened 100 years ago, I was just there to see the ending.

Some stuff does happen in the present, the young characters in each main town are great but I feel like it doesn't compare to all the other things the game keeps teasing but never shows. I'm really glad Age of Calamity exists because honestly I would feel somewhat cheated otherwise.

Overall, amazing game. Will definitely become one of my de facto games to mess around. I will step back from it for a bit before a second run and hopefully forget some of the map to re-discover it. Heck, maybe BotW 2 will come out by then. It left me hungry for a story but I can't complain too much given all the things it turned out to be great at. Definitely lived up to the astronomical hype I had for it.

Edited by Eluvianii

• 2 weeks later...

Final Fantasy 7 is getting an actual remake next year called Ever Crisis. Just from the screenshots it’s a graphical update of the entire series on IOS. For those worried it’ll be terrible looking it’s FF7Remake in appearance.

Now for why I said an actual remake, technically Remake isn’t a remake, it’s a stealth sequel storywise. Sephiroth from after the game, yes he’s dead but he has that funny habit of coming back, is trying to change the past this this is both a sequel and an AU. Something else that confirms this is a sequel is three endgame bosses that are apparently the spirits of the villains from Advent Children as revealed in the Ultimania. Going to be interesting how much differently things will go if future stuff is messing with the timeline.

Final Fantasy 7 is getting an actual remake next year called Ever Crisis. Just from the screenshots it’s a graphical update of the entire series on IOS. For those worried it’ll be terrible looking it’s FF7Remake in appearance.

Now for why I said an actual remake, technically Remake isn’t a remake, it’s a stealth sequel storywise. Sephiroth from after the game, yes he’s dead but he has that funny habit of coming back, is trying to change the past this this is both a sequel and an AU. Something else that confirms this is a sequel is three endgame bosses that are apparently the spirits of the villains from Advent Children as revealed in the Ultimania. Going to be interesting how much differently things will go if future stuff is messing with the timeline.