The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

With Cultivation on Roshar, shouldn't the rest of the planet look more earthlike (or Shinovar-like)?

Have we ever heard of who Cultivation is in the books yet?

Is the Purelake Cultivation's Shardpool?

Is the Purelake Cultivation's Shardpool?

Seems more likely that the emerald pools on the Horneater Peaks are, but I could see the Purelake having a Splinter in it, like Sixth of the Dusk.

Is the Stormfather composed partly of Cultivation's Investiture?

Edited by Moogle

In Well of Ascension, it mentions that the language of Terris had a gender neutral pronoun. If you actually constructed the language, what was that pronoun? Or did you just leave it as its English translation of "it"?

Can magic systems on other planets be classified as "end-positive" or "end-negative" like those on Scadrial can? Including magic systems we may not have seen yet?

Edited by theravenchilde

If the God King Awakened something in the presence of a slice of pizza, turning the pizza white, and the pizza was then microwaved, would it heat up? (This is an actual important question with Realmatic implications. Trust me.)

If the God King Awakened something in the presence of a slice of pizza, turning the pizza white, and the pizza was then microwaved, would it heat up? (This is an actual important question with Realmatic implications. Trust me.)

Well… A microwave actually functions by exciting water molecules in the target food, not bombarding the food with heat rays (infrared radiation). So it really wouldn't matter what the color the pizza is, just if there's water in it. 

(Just curious, what are the Realmatic implications?)

Well… A microwave actually functions by exciting water molecules in the target food, not bombarding the food with heat rays (infrared radiation). So it really wouldn't matter what the color the pizza is, just if there's water in it. 

(Just curious, what are the Realmatic implications?)

The microwaves are absorbed by the water, which excites the water. Color is the absorption of certain wavelengths of light. So the question is, does that extend to microwaves? If it does, the pizza doesn't heat up. If it doesn't, the pizza heats up. If microwaves don't count as color, then why not? Because people can't see them. Therefore, if the pizza heats up, Spiritual ideals (like color) are influenced by Cognitive properties. If it doesn't, then ideals might be eternal and unchanging. Either possibility is interesting.

The microwaves are absorbed by the water, which excites the water. Color is the absorption of certain wavelengths of light. So the question is, does that extend to microwaves? If it does, the pizza doesn't heat up. If it doesn't, the pizza heats up. If microwaves don't count as color, then why not? Because people can't see them. Therefore, if the pizza heats up, Spiritual ideals (like color) are influenced by Cognitive properties. If it doesn't, then ideals might be eternal and unchanging. Either possibility is interesting.

Hmmm… I thought color was the reflected wavelengths of light. Absorption is the absence of those certain "microwave colors". Don't have time to figure out the implications right now, but it is a fascinating train of thought that you've got there. Though black is the most powerful awakening color, so maybe absorption is key… 

Interesting conjecture, but you're making a number of assumptive leaps that we don't really know. It's at least as likely that Awakening simply drains away something's pigment. What you're suggesting is that once an object has been "drained" of color, a supernatural force continues to act on that object forever adjusting the local laws of physics for a certain effect; i.e., to cause light to reflect off the object in such a way as to appear grey. While that's possible, I would be surprised if it were true.

It also wouldn't much affect microwaves. As Curiousity said, the color we see of objects is light reflected, not light absorbed. In a sense, you have a point in a reverse kind of way, in that if white light hits a leaf and we see the leaf as green, it's because the leaf absorbs every wavelength of light except for green... but that's not what happens to drained objects. They still absorb some light, they simply reflect the grey wavelengths, instead of the green ones.

Still, it's entirely possible that something metaphysical is happening to drained objects that would, in fact, cause them to reflect electromagnetic energy in the infrared spectrum, rather than to absorb the energy as heat.

Hmmm… I thought color was the reflected wavelengths of light. Absorption is the absence of those certain "microwave colors". Don't have time to figure out the implications right now, but it is a fascinating train of thought that you've got there. Though black is the most powerful awakening color, so maybe absorption is key… 

Color is the absorption of all wavelengths of visible light other than the one which is the actual color. Something which is entirely white reflects all wavelengths of visible light.

1. Interesting conjecture, but you're making a number of assumptive leaps that we don't really know. It's at least as likely that Awakening simply drains away something's pigment. What you're suggesting is that once an object has been "drained" of color, a supernatural force continues to act on that object forever adjusting the local laws of physics for a certain effect; i.e., to cause light to reflect off the object in such a way as to appear grey. While that's possible, I would be surprised if it were true.

2. It also wouldn't much affect microwaves. As Curiousity said, the color we see of objects is light reflected, not light absorbed. In a sense, you have a point in a reverse kind of way, in that if white light hits a leaf and we see the leaf as green, it's because the leaf absorbs every wavelength of light except for green... but that's not what happens to drained objects. They still absorb some light, they simply reflect the grey wavelengths, instead of the green ones.

3. Still, it's entirely possible that something metaphysical is happening to drained objects that would, in fact, cause them to reflect electromagnetic energy in the infrared spectrum, rather than to absorb the energy as heat.

Awakening drains the Spiritual property of color as fuel for the Awakening. As such, it changes the local laws of physics. They are, in the Cosmere at least, inherently Spiritual interactions.

2. First of all, there are no "grey wavelengths." You get grey when something absorbs some of the light in all visible wavelengths, but not all. And when the God King Awakens things, it drains all of the color. Objects in the area become pure white, which means that they reflect most or all of the light that hits them.

3. It's the microwave spectrum that I'm concerned with, not the infrared. This is a bit nitpicky, but it's relevant because some creatures can see infrared and their Cognitive influence might muddle things.

Do you have a quote to support this supposition?

I think I must have misremembered about that. There's no quote, but there's quite a bit of evidence here. Besides, things have color even without having pigment. If Awakening simply drained pigment, I find it unlikely that everything would be perfectly white. Grey, maybe, but as I mentioned above, the 10th Heightening allows the use of all of the color.

Edit: In the prologue, there's a mention of stone having its color drained. I think that's pretty much proof that Awakening does more than just remove pigment.

Edited by Shaggai

Here's a question that came up in the Mistborn forums: Is the mist spirit mentioned in Alendi's logbook the same as the one that Vin encounters? I ask because the one Vin meets is confirmed to be Preservation's shadow of self and is described as being the same color as the normal mists, whereas Alendi's repeatedly describes the mist figure he saw as black or dark (Ruin's colors).

As the meta progresses and once we eventually learn all of the Shard names, will the meta incorporate emotion/traits significantly into the story?

Will future Mistborn be hard sci-fi or normal sci-fi? I made a thread about this in another board a month or three ago and just now realized how it should have been articulated. I suspect it will be hard sci-fi since the Cosmere has its own modifications towards physics that need to be explained (like FTL travel) but I also have a preference for hard sci-fi so it would be very nice.

@Kythis: What is the meta, and what's the difference between hard sci-fi and normal sci-fi?

@Sanderson: At what point does food you've ingested become "a part of you" enough that you can reduce or increase its weight with iron feruchemy? This might give us some interesting insight as to whether you can affect the weight of metal in your stomach, or hemalurgic spikes. Since a hemalurgic spike is a staple to put another spiritweb into your spiritweb, is it enough "you" that you can reduce or increase its weight feruchemically?

@Kythis: What is the meta, and what's the difference between hard sci-fi and normal sci-fi?

@Sanderson: At what point does food you've ingested become "a part of you" enough that you can reduce or increase its weight with iron feruchemy? This might give us some interesting insight as to whether you can affect the weight of metal in your stomach, or hemalurgic spikes. Since a hemalurgic spike is a staple to put another spiritweb into your spiritweb, is it enough "you" that you can reduce or increase its weight feruchemically?

"Hard" sci-fi is serious about the science - any technological advances will be plausible with current physics and will probably be explained. "Soft" sci-fi is basically fantasy with spaceships. Normal sci-fi is in the middle. It'll be interesting to see how Brandon handles the sci-fi element, since there's already an element of magic but that magic is very well-defined. I'm inclined to think that he'll go with a hard approach to it, since he's stated that physics is the same in the Cosmere when not modified by Investiture, and the Metallic Arts are basically the epitome of "hard" magic.

The meta is the Cosmere.

Hard/normal sci-fi was already explained so I won't elaborate on that one.