The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

18 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

In the real  world, several metal alloys are just the same metals with different percentages. Could some Atium alloys work this way?

in the original mistborn trilogy, they note that for allomantic purposes, the various alloys need to be pretty close to exact percentages of their component metals, so steel that is too much iron and not enough carbon would not be as good as whatever the right mix is (and it could even be harmful to burn it).  I'd guess that atium alloys work along similar principles

a couple mistborn related questions:

1. is it possible for a mistborn to naturally be inherently stronger with one metal vs all the others, that is actually allomantically stronger, not just more skilled, and not because they are a savant with one metal?  example: in mistborn, we know Vin was stronger with bronze than her other metals due to hemalurgy, but is it possible for someone to be born that way (or be that way as soon as they snap) without involving hemalurgy or any other such thing. 

1a. related: if a misting were to burn a bead of lerasium, would they end up stronger in their original metal than all the others? ex if they started with allomantic strength x with their one metal, and 0 for all others, then burned lerasium so that they were at strength 1 for all the other metals, would they be at 1+x (give or take) with their initial metal?

2. does the same amount of different metals produce the same amount of investiture when burned?  example: we know pewter burns pretty fast, and tin burns pretty slow, bit if a mistborn who is equally strong in both were to burn 1 gram each of tin and pewter, would they each produce the same amount of investiture?

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

a couple mistborn related questions:

1. is it possible for a mistborn to naturally be inherently stronger with one metal vs all the others, that is actually allomantically stronger, not just more skilled, and not because they are a savant with one metal?  example: in mistborn, we know Vin was stronger with bronze than her other metals due to hemalurgy, but is it possible for someone to be born that way (or be that way as soon as they snap) without involving hemalurgy or any other such thing. 

1a. related: if a misting were to burn a bead of lerasium, would they end up stronger in their original metal than all the others? ex if they started with allomantic strength x with their one metal, and 0 for all others, then burned lerasium so that they were at strength 1 for all the other metals, would they be at 1+x (give or take) with their initial metal?

2. does the same amount of different metals produce the same amount of investiture when burned?  example: we know pewter burns pretty fast, and tin burns pretty slow, bit if a mistborn who is equally strong in both were to burn 1 gram each of tin and pewter, would they each produce the same amount of investiture?

In order:

1) I don't think you may have different level of Allomantic Strenght naturally

2) The Lerasium will boost your ability. You have to add the Lerasium's Mistborn Allomantic Strenght to your own (like in your example of 1+x)

3) The Same amount of metals indeed produce the same amount of investiture. A "stronger" allomancer (for example Elend) is more powerful because he can burn more metal for second.

I hope it may be useful, the first question hasn't a sure answer but it is very likely

Ad 1. We know that Allomancers of old were more powerful than those of Final Empire. It implies each generation getting weaker. Therefore, new born Allomancers were weaker than those already living. Perhaps the level of strength between people varies, but to lightly to be noticeable.

Ad 3. We do not know how each metal burn rates relate to each other.

Maybe I misread but I think He meant: if a Mistborn have different Allomantic Strenght in different metals (without Skill, Savantism and Hemalurgy) for example have an Steel Strenght of 4 and an Iron Strenght of 3.... If I misunderstood the question I am sorry for the wrong answer

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Ad 3. We do not know how each metal burn rates relate to each other.

well, that isn't quite true.  Kelsier and vin discuss how the metals burn some in the original mistborn books.  for example, we know that atium burns faster than other metals (though I didn't include it in my example because as a god metal it is playing by different rules), and that tin is one of the slowest burning metals and pewter burns pretty quickly, if pressed, I could go find quotes for those.  but what we don't know is why, necessarily.  is it because tin pulls in more investiture, or because pewter's effects require more investiture to work so the same amount last less time.

2 hours ago, Yata said:

Maybe I misread but I think He meant: if a Mistborn have different Allomantic Strenght in different metals (without Skill, Savantism and Hemalurgy) for example have an Steel Strenght of 4 and an Iron Strenght of 3.... If I misunderstood the question I am sorry for the wrong answer

that is definitely what I was going for.  it doesn't seem like a particularly likely situation, but I was imagining something like a mistborn who has had a lot of other mistborn family members on their father's side of the family, say, and a bunch of pewterarms on the mother's side, and who ends up then being stronger with pewter (due to natural strength, not hemalurgy or anything else) than with any other metal.

47 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

well, that isn't quite true.

I meant that we don't know how each metal burn rate compare to others as far as Investiture produced is concerned.

I think the best way to phrase that question is: Do Allomantic metals have the same Investiture density? Does burning one gram of tin and one gram of steel produce the same amount of Investiture (assuming the same allomantic strength level in both metals)?

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I meant that we don't know how each metal burn rate compare to others as far as Investiture produced is concerned.

I think the best way to phrase that question is: Do Allomantic metals have the same Investiture density? Does burning one gram of tin and one gram of steel produce the same amount of Investiture (assuming the same allomantic strength level in both metals)?

ahh, yes, that is basically what I am going for.

If we spiked a Listener with Feruchemical nicrosil, could he store the spren he's bonded to and loose form in the process? Could he later tap nicrosil to strengthen the form? Could he store the spren completely, loose form, and bond another spren? Could he then change forms at will between those two spren by carefully storing and tapping nicrosil?

Another question: what happens when Connector tries to store his Connection to the time of his birth (If I understood correctly, that's how the Spiritual Age is represented)?

Edited by Oversleep

How would atium Feruchemy work for an Elantrian or somebody with Fifth Heightening - for somebody who does not age?

Would it work based on their physical or true (spiritual) age? If I obtained enough Breath at the age of 20 and then lived for 300 years, would the amount of youth I need to be 19 be equal to the amount of youth a true 20yr old need?

36 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

How would atium Feruchemy work for an Elantrian or somebody with Fifth Heightening - for somebody who does not age?

Would it work based on their physical or true (spiritual) age? If I obtained enough Breath at the age of 20 and then lived for 300 years, would the amount of youth I need to be 19 be equal to the amount of youth a true 20yr old need?

Good question! I'm not sure if you even COULD make yourself younger or older whilst being unaging, since it might be like multiplying with 0.

Yet another question: How far has Roshar's science advanced? For example, mathematics, what do they have?

Any chance of some ardents talking about math? In some Interlude maybe? It doesn't have to be someone mentioning calculus or anything, but...

Or perhaps PoV of stormwarden so we'd learn more about predicting highstorms?

Edited by Oversleep

7 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Any chance of some ardents talking about math? In some Interlude maybe? It doesn't have to be someone mentioning calculus or anything, but...

The Interlude about the two Ardents and their measurements of Spren.

NEW QUESTIONS:

Did Nightblood improved its power from its Creation ?

11 hours ago, Yata said:

The Interlude about the two Ardents and their measurements of Spren.

It sets precedent for another Interlude like that. Sadly, they do not talk about math at all. They were doing physics and it seems Roshar has experimentation method, but I'd really want to know how far their math is.

28 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

It sets precedent for another Interlude like that. Sadly, they do not talk about math at all. They were doing physics and it seems Roshar has experimentation method, but I'd really want to know how far their math is.

I rememeber that one of them said that his field of study was the math, but maybe I am  wrong.

5 hours ago, Yata said:

I rememeber that one of them said that his field of study was the math, but maybe I am  wrong.

I reread that Interlude. Yeah, she was doing math, but we learned nothing about the math itself. Physicist also do a lot of math and that's what she was doing.

I mean, measuring (super)natural phenomena is always gonna be physics. We learned nothing about how far their math progressed. Does Roshar know calculus? Statistics? How advanced their geometry is? Et cetera.

Another question (Man, I am pumping them out fast): What does count for Hemalurgic control? The total Hemalurgic charge or number of the spikes? If we let four spikes decay for a few years and then pierce a human with it, would that person be controllable? (I assume that four spikes is the minimum for a human being controlled as evidenced by koloss and Suit's words that he's limited to three boons). Does that work the same for all Hemalurgic constructs?

What does count for kandra Blessings? Similarly, if we had two spikes and let them decay for few years, would that be enough to turn a mistwraith into kandra?

Edited by Oversleep
adding a question

9 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Another question (Man, I am pumping them out fast): What does count for Hemalurgic control? The total Hemalurgic charge or number of the spikes? If we let four spikes decay for a few years and then pierce a human with it, would that person be controllable? (I assume that four spikes is the minimum for a human being controlled as evidenced by koloss and Suit's words that he's limited to three boons). Does that work the same for all Hemalurgic constructs?

I can't say for the other part of the question (about Blessings and decay) but I have the strong feel that a Hemalurgic Spike at full power or just with a little charge left is the same for the purpose of Hemalurgic control. I think it's meaningless how big is the gifted chunk, the Spike to inject those Spirit-web cause the same backdoor.

I think (but it's not a perfect proof) that the end of SoS's show quite well this point.

Spoiler

A second Spike with a quite meaningless charge is enough to put a Kandra under Harmony's control... Notice that those scene show us that a Spike made a backdoor also if doesn't gift something (Wax didn't hit a specific Bindpoint)

9 hours ago, Oversleep said:

(I assume that four spikes is the minimum for a human being controlled as evidenced by koloss and Suit's words that he's limited to three boons). Does that work the same for all Hemalurgic constructs?

I imagine four is the limit for Human based Constructs, as we see the only counter example is about a Mistwrath based Construct.... Probably there are other factors: 

for example if Allomantic Copper is helpful aganist this kind of control, an Inquisitor/Smoker would be harder to affect (but we have no proof about)

17 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I reread that Interlude. Yeah, she was doing math, but we learned nothing about the math itself. Physicist also do a lot of math and that's what she was doing.

I mean, measuring (super)natural phenomena is always gonna be physics. We learned nothing about how far their math progressed. Does Roshar know calculus? Statistics? How advanced their geometry is? Et cetera.

For what it's worth, they clearly know at least a little bit of probability/statistics, based on the graphing of the distribution of Mr. T's intelligence in WoR.

3 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

Has anyone ever tried to read the Origin of Storms by sailing west from Shinovar where the storms are weaker?

If so, were they successful?

Well, there is the story Wit tells... I think they sailed west, didn't they? Of course, who knows if there's any truth in it. And if there is, it might have happened on a completely different planet.