The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

So, I have a theory I want to try to get confirmed, but when I try to phrase the question(s) it gets quite long winded.  The theory is here:

Possible questions:

Given that the Nahel Bond involves a Spren filling a hole left by a traumatic event in the spirit web of a person:

• Does the effect of that event on the person's spirit web (the "shape" of the hole) dictate which "shape" of Spren they could bond with? e.g. the square peg/round hole analogy, or the correspondence between a protein and an enzyme?
  • Does the progression of ideals reflect the adaptation of the Surgebinder's spirit web to better match the spiritual "shape" of the Spren, making a more perfect bond?
  • Conversely, does the Spren have to initially adapt to fit the spiritual hole in order to form a Bond?
  • [If yes to the last question] Does that mean that, in the case where the traumatic event was the death of a person, the Bonded Spren has become a functional reincarnation of that dead person, as far as the Surgebinder is concerned?

@Krandacth as far as I know:

18 minutes ago, Krandacth said:
  • Does the effect of that event on the person's spirit web (the "shape" of the hole) dictate which "shape" of Spren they could bond with? e.g. the square peg/round hole analogy, or the correspondence between a protein and an enzyme?

No, the human needs just to be "broken" (it's a common condition needed in many Cosmere's magics). If it's broken enough and He/she has the right attitude, He may attract the the right Spren.

Dumb example: If Kaladin was another kind of man, He would be able to attract another kind of spren once Broken.

18 minutes ago, Krandacth said:
  • Does the progression of ideals reflect the adaptation of the Surgebinder's spirit web to better match the spiritual "shape" of the Spren, making a more perfect bond?

Probably yes, maybe our wording may be wrong. But the Surgebinder becomes more and more a more compatible parner for the Spren's Ideal and a better anchor to pull the Spren in the Physical.

The next two are probably false (but I am unsure about what you want to ask there)

Edited by Yata

I think about one thing for too long and get multiple questions, so I apologize if my posts here ever seem cluttered.

• Could a Leecher (A-Chromium) drain people of other types of investiture, such as Stormlight or Breath?
  • Is there a limit to the amount of investiture a Leecher could drain from someone? 50K Breath =/= Misting Metal Reserves
  • Can a Leecher drain from Invested objects, or is it limited to people?
  • Can you leech another Leecher? He's mentioned a "Misting SWAT Team" for next trilogy, seemed relevant.
  • Aluminum Misting's can heal from a Shade's withering. Could a Leecher drain the wither from someone else?

55 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:
  • Could a Leecher (A-Chromium) drain people of other types of investiture, such as Stormlight or Breath?

Probably yes..the Chromium is stated to work as the Aluminium and we know the Aluminium may discharge many types of Investiture (but without a specific reason I am a bit unsure about Breath)

• Is there a limit to the amount of investiture a Leecher could drain from someone? 50K Breath =/= Misting Metal Reserves

This is a tricky one...actually the Leecher didn't obtain nothing from using his Allomancy on someone. Anyway we know that a certain amount of Chromium may discharge only a setted amount of Investiture (we have a WoB about Leeching metalmind and the possibility for a Leecher to remain without Chromium before the Feruchemical Charge is fully discharged).

• Can a Leecher drain from Invested objects, or is it limited to people?

Chromium Allomancy may be used on object...we have an exaple in the book (sorry but I don't remember if it was in SoS or BoM). There is a story in the journal about a Leecher and her fight with a "mysterious man" and his cursed gun. And She manage to turn of the Gun with her touch.

• Can you leech another Leecher? He's mentioned a "Misting SWAT Team" for next trilogy, seemed relevant.

Honestly I think yes...but I don't know what will happen if two leecher use their power aganit each other at the same time.

• Aluminum Misting's can heal from a Shade's withering. Could a Leecher drain the wither from someone else?

Same for the first question, if Chromium=Alluminium on other people. You may use it to heal the Shade's withering

Edited by Yata

3 minutes ago, Yata said:

Chromium Allomancy may be used on object...we have an exaple in the book (sorry but I don't remember if it was in SoS or BoM). There is a story in the journal about a Leecher and her fight with a "mysterious man" and his cursed gun. And She manage to turn of the Gun with her touch.

I feel compelled to point out that the gun very likely contained Shades, which being once people, would have had their Investiture drained by the Leecher, rather than the gun itself. Still, a fine line and one that isn't completely unique.

jW

11 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I feel compelled to point out that the gun very likely contained Shades, which being once people, would have had their Investiture drained by the Leecher, rather than the gun itself. Still, a fine line and one that isn't completely unique.

jW

You have right, I didn't considerate this....I am unsure if this matter, but my answer is not so sure as I pointed out.

Maybe just the object with a Cognitive componenct may be target because they are quite similar to being, I say this because I find a possible counterexample to the thesis of drainable object.

Nobody ever mention to use a Leecher to discharge Metalminds or Spikes (also if in this case may be to avoid killing someone when the Spike is no more Hemalurgic)

Edited by Yata

Would Full Lashing work in vacuum? (I mean, we're not sure whether it really works by manipulating atmospheric pressure)

EDIT (since I see no need to write another post down there):

1 minute ago, Kurkistan said:

RAFO.

I hope three years have moved it into non_RAFO theoritory :)

Edited by Oversleep

3 hours ago, The Only Joe said:

If the same person had awakened two swords with the same command, as close to the same time as they could, would the two swords turn out identical?

I think there's a WoB that the Breaths used to create Nightblood in some way interpreted the Command, which implies that a different set of Breaths could have come to a slightly different conclusion. Maybe that's is part of why you're asking the question though.

40 minutes ago, Eki said:

I think there's a WoB that the Breaths used to create Nightblood in some way interpreted the Command, which implies that a different set of Breaths could have come to a slightly different conclusion. Maybe that's is part of why you're asking the question though.

I always figured that "interpreting" had a lot to do with the mental picture visualized by the awakener when they say the command. If that is right, then the 2 swords would turn out differently no matter what, because they were made by different people's opinion of "evil"

Edit: didnt notice the question said same person

Edited by The One Who Connects

27 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I always figured that "interpreting" had a lot to do with the mental picture visualized by the awakener when they say the command. If that is right, then the 2 swords would turn out differently no matter what, because they were made by different people's opinion of "evil"

Definitely. The question was about the same person making two swords though. The mental picture of the awakener is probably the most important thing, but with sentient beings like Nightblood, maybe the Breaths themselves have some kind of influence too... I don't know how, though, but that's what the WoB I'm thinking of implies.

7 hours ago, Eki said:

That is part of why I'm asking. Thanks! I didn't know he'd commented on that.

Could you specify what the density of the Shard-material is? I mean, we know that Shardblades are about 2-3 times lighter than the same sword made of normal metal. Is Shard-material lighter than wood, for example? Because I don't know whether Shardarrow would be lighter or heavier than a wooden one.

Another question: If there was an Awakener, a dead body and a Cognitive Shadow, would it be somehow possible for the Awakener to Awaken the body and imprint the Shadow on it (effectively resurrecting the CogShade)? Perhaps if the Awakener was Connected to the CogShadow and/or could communicate with it by Hemalurgic spike?

Edited by Oversleep

10 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

What attribute(s) would a Hemalurgic spike made of Lerasium steal?

It's be RAFOed before...but maybe as the other 2 Godmetals we saw. It's will steal everything like Atium with some other side effect dependant of Preservation's Influence.

QUESTION:
Honor was surprised when the Spren began to gift Surgebinding abilities. But He was pleasantly surprised or unpleasantly surprised ?

Edited by Yata

1 hour ago, Yata said:

It's be RAFOed before...but maybe as the other 2 Godmetals we saw. It's will steal everything like Atium with some other side effect dependant of Preservation's Influence.

QUESTION:
Honor was surprised when the Spren began to gift Surgebinding abilities. But He was pleasantly surprised or unpleasantly surprised ?

Ah, I should have guessed it had been RAFOed already... Whoopsie! ^^;

Hmmm... How did Trell create a Godmetal at all? I'm sure we have a WOB saying that can only occur when a Shard Invests heavily in Scadrial....

10 hours ago, Yata said:

QUESTION:

Didn't he say something which amounts to "they were the answer to help humanity rebuild"?

Also, if he were suprisied unpleasantly, he wouldn't leave visions urging to recreate Knights Radiant.

16 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Didn't he say something which amounts to "they were the answer to help humanity rebuild"?

Also, if he were suprisied unpleasantly, he wouldn't leave visions urging to recreate Knights Radiant.

I have to check better,thanks you.

About the second one...he may be suprisied unpleasantly because the conseguence may be bad, but once you triggered them. You use your new tool also if you don't want it at the beginning.

As far as we know it's like any other metalmind, you have no privilege to pull/push your metalminds. Well if you are a compounder probably your metalminds keep a lot of charge and they are more harder to pull.

But did you ask for a Iron Compounder for some specific reason ?

7 minutes ago, Yata said:

As far as we know it's like any other metalmind, you have no privilege to pull/push your metalminds. Well if you are a compounder probably your metalminds keep a lot of charge and they are more harder to pull.

But did you ask for a Iron Compounder for some specific reason ?

No, just the example I thought of.

Thanks!