Hoid taps Luck to find out where to go next

WayneSpren

I was reading some stuff in the Alloy of Law and some stuff on Theoryland, and I wondered why sometimes Hoid goes to the right places and sometimes he just stands around and leaves.

Maybe the reason for this is he is tapping feruchemical Luck. It makes you more lucky, but not absolutely. If Hoid really wanted to worldhop somewhere but didn't know where to go, he could rely on Luck to find the right place.

It wouldn't be foolproof, but maybe this is how he gets to places right before huge events occur.

The notion that he probably just taps luck and throws darts at a map or something has occurred to people before.
It's a bit too funny of an image to maintain in one's mind. We don't talk about it much.

That's sounds hilarious. I love it.

I think Hoid using feruchemy to figure out his destinations has appeared in a WoB somewhere even before the confirmation about the bead (which he allegedly didn't actually burn, but it certainly seems like he has the powers anyway).

So yeah, he's a fullborn awakener who knows Yolish lightweaving I guess. Quite the resume so far.

Is Hoid a Feruchemist, as well as a Mistborn then? :huh:

Technically, we don't know that he is a Mistborn, he has a bead of Lerasium but per WoB he has not used it. We also know from WoB that he used Allomancy in the Shallan flashback but for all we know he is just a misting (soother/rioter most likely). We do know for sure that he has access to Feruchemy via WoB again though, he could simply be a ferring. So he is at least twinborn but not necessarily Fullborn.

Releveant WoB:

Feruchemy:

Mike Cockrum

Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?
Brandon Sanderson

He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books

Lerasium:

Mike Cockrum (23 January 2013)

How many shards has Hoid received powers from, whether taken, stolen, given, etc.?
Brandon Sanderson (23 January 2013)
Well, he has a bead of Lerasium.

Allomancy WoB:

DefiantBurrito
Can you tell me what Wit put in his drink in Shallan's flashback scene?
Brandon Sanderson

It was something that you or I would probably not want to eat in our world, but that Wit got some benefit from eating...

DefiantBurrito

Something we've seen in the Mistborn books, perhaps?

Brandon Sanderson(sounding pleased) Yes, perhaps like something you've seen in Mistborn

• Chaos locked this topic