The importance of reading

The Question

I was re-reading the Mistborn trilogy (halfway through WOA, now) and I noticed how frequently the characters reference reading various books. Most importantly, The Tale of Rashek and Alendi's Journal. That got me thinking about the other references to reading in The Cosmere.

Warbreaker

Siri reads to Suseborn and teaches him to read and write.

Elantris

Raodan and Galladon figure out how to fix the Aons by reading old books.

Mistborn

Alendi's Journal.

Rashek's story.

Elend is always reading.

Sazed is ALWAYS reading.

Stormlight Archive

"Way of Kings" is a life changing book to Gavilar and Dalinar.

Shallan and Jasnah spend a lot of time in a library.

Alethi men can't read

Of course, there is also the Ars Arcanums and The Letter.

It seems to me that there is a connection here. 

I thought more about this and I was curious if any books have crossed The Cosmere. Could Elend have read "The Way Of Kings?"

is it possible that some of Elend's books are in the great library at Kharbranth?

Happyman is probably right, but I kinda think there is more than meets the (Tin)eye about the connection. Consider the Worldbringers, they were Cosmere aware, writers, and religious zealots. It seems feasible that they may have traveled to Roshar for missionary work and brought their religious texts with them.

I'm re-reading Mistborn Trilogy, too. Although that much reading in the books didn't strike me as much as you, The Question, I stumbled about another thing that let me think of "cross-cosmere" similarities: 

"Lord Cladent. I have a religion for you."

Clubs frowned. "You don't give up, do you?"

Sazed looked down. It took him a moment to gather together what he'd been thinking about before. "What you said earlier, Lord Cladent. About situational morality. It made me think of a faith, known as Dadradah. Its practitioners spanned many countries and peoples; they believed that there was only one God, and that there was only one right way to worship."

Clubs snorted. "I'm really not interested in one of your dead religions, Terrisman. I think that—"

"They were artists," Sazed said quietly.

Clubs hesitated.

"They thought art drew one closer to God," Sazed said. "They were most interested in color and hue, and they were fond of writing poetry describing the colors they saw in the world around them."

Clubs was silent. "Why preach this religion to me?" he demanded. "Why not pick one that is blunt, like I am? Or one that worshipped warfare and soldiers?"

"Because, Lord Cladent," Sazed said. He blinked, recalling memories with effort through his muddled mind. "That is not you. It is what you must do, but it is not you. The others forget, I think, that you were a woodworker. An artist. When we lived in your shop, I often saw you, putting the finishing touches on pieces your apprentices had carved. I saw the care you used. That shop was no simple front for you. You miss it, I know."

Well of Ascension, Ch. 50    (emphasizes mine) 

Reading this part I was reminded of Warbreaker. I see, that it's not identical, but there are parallels. 

I could imagine that the Terris Keepers have a copy of "The Way of Kings" in their stored knowledges (especially given Hoid and Demoux as worldhoppers). 

And the Rosharan men are not really (or don't have to be) unread or un-educated, their way is different with having books get read to them. 

• Chaos locked this topic