Can't decide. :)

Keyoke

So, I love the mistborn trilogy.   Made me a fan of Sanderson.   I also read Warbreaker (Which as great), and the novella Legion which I wish was a full length novel. :)

So, at the moment, I'm really torn between Elantris and Way of Kings.

Elantris being his first novel I think might not be as great as he future work.   Way of Kings is a huge novel, but, it's his latest, and some say his best.

So, what do I read?

Ya ya.. I'm on holidays, so, I've very undecided. :)

Thanks,

Keyoke

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the forums Keyoke. Glad to have you with us.

Either read Elantris first because it is a good warm-up to TWoK

or

Read TWoK first, then Elantris, and then TWoK again in anticipation of WoR. (I am a big rereader).

Edited by Shardlet

/>/>So, I love the mistborn trilogy. Made me a fan of Sanderson. I also read Warbreaker (Which as great), and the novella Legion which I wish was a full length novel. :)

So, at the moment, I'm really torn between Elantris and Way of Kings.

Elantris being his first novel I think might not be as great as he future work. Way of Kings is a huge novel, but, it's his latest, and some say his best.

So, what do I read?

Ya ya.. I'm on holidays, so, I've very undecided. :)

Thanks,

Keyoke

I would go with Elantris personally. I think WoK is better, so Elantris may seem not as good as it really is in comparison. Also, there are some little Elantris Easter eggs in WoK, and you don't want to miss them! ;) Edited by GreyPilgrim

I would start with Elantris and then Way of Kings for three reasons:  

1. I am a big fan of reading in publication order 
  2. It is fun to see how much Brandon has improved as a writer from Elantris to Way of Kings
  3. Words of Radiance is being released soon, and you will need that much time to truly savor and enjoy the awesomeness that is The Way of Kings

Enjoy and welcome!

I'd go for Elantris first, definitely. Although, you can do it in any order. When I started reading, the only cosmere books out were Elantris, Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker, and TWoK, so I ended up reading them in reverse publication order, and enjoyed the experience immensely.

I would go with Elantris personally. I think WoK is better, so Elantris may seem not as good as it really is in comparison. Also, there are some little Elantris Easter eggs in WoK, and you don't want to miss them! ;)

That is a really good point.  Do this Keyoke and see if you can spot the Easter egg.

Welcome!

As mentioned by others, The Way of Kings has a few little tidbits about Elantris, so if you're only going to read both books only once, then I'd recommend Elantris before TWoK.

That said, I find Elantris to be Brandon's weakest work. It's readable, but lacking. If you're a huge rereader like me, I'd recommend starting with TWoK! Don't forget to read The Emperor's Soul too!

Thanks everyone,

Though, strangely enough, I thought I had Elantris, which I do not. :(     But, I do have Way of Kings, so, I'm going to tackle that beast.   Elantris I can save for one day when we hit a dry spell with no Sanderson books on the immediate horizon.  (GASP!)

Keyoke. :)

It doesn't really make much of a difference which order you read the two in, but Elantris is a much shorter and probably easier read.

I pretty much read his cosmere books backwards without losing anything.  Keep in mind though that Kings is a major project at over 1000 hardcover pages..

The thickness isn't a big deal.    Kinda glad, I really want to lose myself in a Sanderson book.  I wish I hadn't read the Mistborn, so I could re-read and enjoy it all over again. ;)

Though, after this, I still have two novels by Sanderson to read (Steelheart and Elantris) plus a Novella..  So, I'm ok for abit.

Keyoke

Both are my two favorite. I don't think I have an opinion about which to read first. I read Elantris first just because Way of Kings wasn't out yet :D

I think someone mentioned that either are his best work, but I think now people are saying that The Emperor's Soul is his best. I guess it depends on who the reader is...

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have.  Out of Sanderson's work, I wasn't in love with that one.     I liked it, but, I felt like the book was more like a prologue to a new series.   Which, I am sure will one day come out..    I should re-read it again.    It could have been the timing too.    I'm only 20 percent into Way of Kings (Haven't had a lot of time to read) but enjoying it. :)

Keyoke

As much as I love Elantris and as wonderful it was for a beginning novel, I don't recommend it anywhere near the beginning of reading Brandon. I would put it last personally. He was so much more immature as a writer then, and it shows. I would read WoK after MB and WB definitely, though it appears that's what you've done. lol.

• Chaos locked this topic