LIst of those who have an Investiture

Gloom

Okay, lets see how much we can agree on.

Known Investitures: These shouldn't cause any arguments.

Kaladin Stormblessed

Shallan Davar

Jasnah Kholin

Szeth-son-son-Vallano

Suspected Investitures: Most of the arguments here will probably be that they should be in the category above.

Elhokar Kholin

Dalinar Kholin

Possible Investitures: Yeah, that's right, I said it.

Rock (Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor)

Okay, maybe not Rock, but then again....

Rock can see spren, he has strange scruples, and he fed Sadeas chull dung. Sounds like he qualifies to me ;)

Feel free to add more or blast me for those suggested. I'm sure I forgot someone.

These shouldn't cause any arguments.

Yeah.  That'll work. 

I'm unclear about what you mean by investitures.  I think everyone on Roshar has a base investiture from all 3 Shards. 

Some have developed additional investiture, which is what I think you're talking about. 

I believe the base investiture can manifest as talents:  Shallan's art/memory thing, Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin and maybe original Szeth's original fighting skills, Jasnah's scholarship (maybe), Rock's seeing of spren. 

I assume people who wear or carry invested items (Shard blades, Shardplate, Soulcasters, modern fabrials) don't count. 

By actions, some have formed bonds and additional investiture: Kaladin, Shallan and presumably Jasnah. 

Szeth may be Windrunning through the use of the sword which wouldn't count, but the hatred and imagined screaming may go beyond irrationality into investiture from Odium.

Dalinar has the glowy things, the internal voices and the visions.

Taln: a Herald: yup

The other heralds who have been alive for thousands of years

Hoid: limited forseeing, lightweaving (when he tells Kaladin the story) has investiture, but maybe not from Honor, Cultivation or Odium

The travelers looking for Hoid?

The Nightwatcher?

The voice and face in the storm

The Shinovar Lifebrother

The Unmade

WoR spoiler

The greatshells in the Reshi sea

The dragonwasps

Future candidates:

Elhokar sees spren and Dalinar thinks highly of him. 

Adolin, despite his antipathy toward Kaladin, seems quite honorable in general and toward the prostitute.

Moash

Teft - a leader in his own way

Rock

Navani

Do the Parshendi, with their abilities count?

What about the Aimians?

Does investiture from other sources than Honor count for anyone but Szeth?:

Taravangian

Sadeas

Amaram

Is this what you were looking for, Gloom?

I was looking for those who have been invested with power. I don't know what source says that everyone has a base investiture in Roshar. Never saw that.

Heralds are kind of a no brainer, but they count, as do 17th Sharders on Roshar

Purely supernaturals like the Night Watcher and the face, or fauna like great shells don't count even though they likely are invested.

People who carry invested items can count, but their items don't. So just because Sadeas has Shards, doesn't mean he's invested, but just because Elhokar has them doesn't disqualify him.

Hoid counts

Humans invested by Odium, should there be any, count. Creatures invested by Odium don't

Racial abilities don't count. If an Aimian gets invested beyond his racial abilities it would count. Same for the Parsh.

I don't know who the Shinovar Lifebrother is.

I could definitely see Adolin eventually getting an investiture.

I think I'll have to see more of Scar, Moash, and Teft before I'm decided on them. I think at least one of them will die in WoR.

Navani I could see, I could also see Renarin becoming a Radiant.

I don't know that Szeth wasn't invested through Honor. I think a person becomes invested through an action that aligns with an ideal. My thoughts are that Szeth did something honorable in the past that granted him his investiture, but his use of it and failure to hold to the ideals keeps him from growing in power.

I have to ask what definition you are using.  Investiture in the Cosmere is a very specific, technical term.  A metalmind contains a type of investiture.  Nightblood does as well.  Magical things in general do.  IIRC, people who are using magic have abnormally high levels of investiture, such as Allomancers burning metals.  It seems likely that Elantrians are constantly invested.  It would be why they glow.  I don't see why Windrunners or other surgebinders would be invested, though, except when they hold Stormlight.

Every native Rosharian having a base investment comes from extrapolating from elsewhere in the Cosmere, so I don't want to go into detail here. 

Mr. T mentioned the Lifebrother to Szeth at the end. 

I think Szeth did something very honorable, but maybe in Shinovar, where no spren could see it.  What he is doing now seems quite dishonorable and he knows it.  That, I think, is what has him hating himself.  It is, I think, that corner case of a binding that is culturally sanctioned, but not noble, and therefor not honorable.  At this point he seems to be on a path that serves Odium, possibly leading to him becoming Odium's champion.

You think Szeth gets his Windrunner abilities based on past actions, I think it's from the sword, but have no evidence to support it.  If there were no mysteries, then there would be no reason to read the books, so that's a good thing. 

I have to ask what definition you are using.  Investiture in the Cosmere is a very specific, technical term.  A metalmind contains a type of investiture.  Nightblood does as well.  Magical things in general do.  IIRC, people who are using magic have abnormally high levels of investiture, such as Allomancers burning metals.  It seems likely that Elantrians are constantly invested.  It would be why they glow.  I don't see why Windrunners or other surgebinders would be invested, though, except when they hold Stormlight.

Okay, Roshar is different in some aspects in regards to Investiture from what I can tell.

He talked about the link between his magic systems. One of the core principles is 'investing'. In a lot of his systems people are through some mechanism invested with magic powers. In Elantris through the Shaod, In Mistborn it's genetic, in The Way of Kings it depends on what someone has done.

Now, If we follow this quote up with this quote....

The Seventeenth Shard members use the term of Invest for all of those type of things. However, what they use in world is different on each world. For example WoK is infuse.

We know that people and things get infused with Stormlight, but not everyone can be infused, in fact we know of barely a handful of people who can do this. These are the people I'm calling invested.

Chaos

Is there a Cosmere-specific term you use to describe, say, a Shard's power inside someone? For example, people on Scadrial had little bits of Preservation in them that made them sentient (and, with enough Preservation, Allomancy). This obviously doesn't make these people Slivers or Splinters, so I was just wondering if you had a word for it.

Brandon Sanderson

In my own terms, I refer to all of this as types of investiture. The degree, and effects, can be very different - but those people are invested. I term this Innate Investiture, and it is similar to what happens with people on Nalthis. That is also innate.

or innately invested if you prefer.

I believe that (but have no additional evidence to present because Brandon consistently RAFOs questions on investiture) investiture is earned through action that fall in line with one of the ideals.

First Question: Yes, ten is a number of mythological import in the world. The Ten Fools are, essentially, the opposites of the Ten Heralds--who each represented an ideal. (Those ideals were later adopted by the orders of Knights Radiant, so yes, there is a connection--but there's a step between them.)

The ideals are tied to the ten Heralds, as is the magic system of Roshar, so it would make sense to me that investment is tied to the ideals as well. The more closely you are tied to the ideals, the greater chance you have of receiving an innate investiture. But, I believe that the initial investiture is a result of actions, not beliefs. This is why Kaladin could receive his initial investment without having any knowledge of the ideals. Same goes for any number of invested individuals. So I'm not using a Cosmere definition at all, but more of a Roshar centric definition, at least as I see it from the evidence I have been able to find.

Edit: Corrected error pointed out in the following post.

Edited by Gloom

Oops, error on my part. The forty-one ideals followed by the ten orders of Radiants which were related to the ten Heralds..

Thank you WIndrunner, I've corrected the error.

Edited by Gloom

I would like to suggest Roshone as a possible.  I found the scene with Roshone at his dinner table to be particularly suggestive.

"Roshone fell still, skewer held limply in his hand, brillant green eyes narrowed, lips pursed tight.  In the dark, those eyes almost seemed to glow.  Kal had to stop himself from cringing under the weight of the disapproving gaze."

We have had enough examples of glowing being associated with power or at least extra ability that this scene made me rather suspicious.  Add in that Roshone is arguably the single most relentlessly bitter and hateful character introduced so far that I think it possible that he might have a bit of investiture from Odium.

• Chaos locked this topic