UK Cover for Words of Radiance

callumke

51MzkXCAsbL._.jpg
(source)

This is better than the UK TWoK cover, but not as good as almost any of the other UK covers.
This however seems to be quite a big spoiler! Clearly a man in Shardplate, but what is that he is holding? A spear? Perhaps a Shardspear?

Hi Kaladin, nice to see you on both covers.

It is worth noting that the source is just Amazon UK, I can't find an Orion press release or source anywhere to confirm it or get a higher-res copy. This may not be final, its hard to tell.

It sure looks like a Shardspear! There's room for it to be an amusing coincidence though. Shardblades are inspired by fantasy art, so it's possible an artist created one accidentally, just trying to do "stylized fantasy spear on a book cover" and not realizing he'd just drawn a Shardspear that may or may not even happen in the series.

It is compelling that it is a spearman in reasonably fancy armor.  Armor of that style would be terribly cumbersome to a spearman who fights the way Kaladin does.  Shardplate however would be an exception to that.  As to the visor, shardplate has a visor.  Dalinar refers to it a few times.  Also, as to the fancyness of it, most of the adornment of shardplate is added by the person who has the plate.  I suspect that it is not crazy fancy without the bearer's added embelishments.  I also can't see Kaladin blinging it up if he got some plate.  It very well could be Kaladin in plate.  As to the spear, that would be a cumbersome spear to wield in battle. If it is as heavy as it looks then it would seem to be more useful as a pike.  However, if it were a shardspear... :)

51MzkXCAsbL._.jpg

(source)

This is better than the UK TWoK cover, but not as good as almost any of the other UK covers.

It is worth noting that the source is just Amazon UK, I can't find an Orion press release or source anywhere to confirm it or get a higher-res copy. This may not be final, its hard to tell.

do we have different pictures? =)

As FireArcadia wrote: no

Aside from Mr. Ahlstrom's information:

I'm not really sad that I will buy the original book again :). This cover seems very similar to the cover of Part two of TWoK in the UK-edition.

51ZsT9cP-uL.jpg

Some small differences: The man looks older (it can't be Kaladin, he mustn't look like that). The spear has not a crystal/gem at one end (with this gem, it looks more like a shardspear would do) and the blade is a bit different. And: On the cover of Part two one don't see that the person has feet like a frog.

Sorry, I couldn't withstand the itch to post this, though we already know that the cover gives no spoiler. :)

• Chaos locked this topic