Does Brandon Dislike the Southeast?

Nihilist

I've been reading Brandon Sanderson's books for several years now, and always look to see if he'll be touring within 500 miles of where I live...and I have NEVER seen a tour come as close as even Atlanta, which is about 420 miles from me. 

Does Brandon just not care to tour in the Southeast?  There are huge cities, with populations in the millions, but they never seem to make the cut. 

Im not whining, Im simply curious. 

Some of the decision process comes from where he knows there are oncentrations of fans of his work.  Send him an email on his website with your location (and perhaps a request for a signing visit close by).  This would probably help get him closer to you.

Orlando and Atlanta see pretty big spikes in sales when compared to release dates of Sanderson's books.  I have a friend who's high up on the food chain with a very large bookseller.  Most authors who pull those kinds of numbers would be racing to those locations to do signings.  Also, you can't use just demographics to determine where to tour, because of the internet.  Buy a book online and the credit for the sale goes to wherever the bookseller is located...not the buyer.  And where are most online booksellers?  Northwest and Northeast.

You just offended the entirety of Texas (except perhaps Texarkana :P) and most of the South with that statement, Two.  For the record, Texas is not the South. ^_^

There goes my attempt to take a wider view of United States geography than my "Heart of Dixie" centered perspective, which would also exclude Texas (and, oddly, much of Florida, too). :P I wonder if a person from, say, Vermont would also consider Texas to not be part of the South?

Um, Texas was part of the Confederacy.  That by default makes them a southern state.  Not necessarily southeastern, but southern.  Probably better classified as Gulf South.  Plus, he did a hit and run in New Orleans early this year.  I almost went, but the thought of driving in that traffic without a tank or walking around in that city without a concealed carry permit won the mental argument.

Edited by Aethling

<_< Culturally the South and Texas are two very different places.  Texans do not have a "Southern accent" they speak "Texan".  They definately do not view themselves as part of the South and as far as I know the South generally agrees.  Because Texas was an independent country before it joined the USA, it has a strong individual cultural identity ^_^.  Being part of the Confederacy qualifies Texas as a Southern state only to those who are outside the South and Texas.  And frankly, I don't think that anyone outside of Texas or the South gets to decide. :P

I've been reading Brandon Sanderson's books for several years now, and always look to see if he'll be touring within 500 miles of where I live...and I have NEVER seen a tour come as close as even Atlanta, which is about 420 miles from me. 

Does Brandon just not care to tour in the Southeast?  There are huge cities, with populations in the millions, but they never seem to make the cut. 

Im not whining, Im simply curious. 

Man, 420 miles is a pretty big radius.  Not sure where you fall into that circle, but I can tell you that Brandon has been to Dragon Con twice in the past four conventions - 2012 and 2010, IIRC.  Now that WoT is completed (and the WoT track no longer exists as its own entity at the con), I don't know if he'll be showing up quite as frequently.  However, as near as I can tell, he enjoys meeting the fans here, and he certainly has a good Magic crowd to play with during his downtime.

I'd say just keep an eye on his touring schedule.  I'm sure he's bound to show up in Atlanta again at some point.  (And who knows?  Maybe he'll get closer to your location than Atlanta.)

I think the publisher has most of the say on your book tour since they are paying for it. Many authors don't get paid book tourts. Considering that Brandon lives in Utah, the cost to fly him down to the south east on top of everywhere eles he is going may be more than the publisher is willing to pay for. Plus you have to factor in time for the book tours. It is time away from family and its hard for authors to get any writing done when they are on tour. So it affects their ability to produce.

I think book tours are literally, land, either go to hotel and check in or go directly to bookstore and be ready to be the center of attention for hours. Then either stay over night and fly out the next morning or catch a latenight flight to the next city. They have to factor in time for this since flights take time and the publisher probably doesn't want to pick up extra hotel days and extra days to cover food.

Im not in the publishing industry. It is what I have gotten off of author blogs.

This issue, from what I've heard Brandon say, is that the bookstores are the ones who invite him. I've talked to him about it twice, since I live in Colorado (practically next door to Brandon in Provo-area) and he almost never does signings in Colorado. He said it's usually because bookstores here don't ask for him, and it has very little to do with the convenience of the traveling.

This year Brandon has been to Atlanta (twice), Birmingham, Raleigh, Fort Myers, and New Orleans. (And Denver.) If you've missed these events, get on his mailing list and tell him what city you live in so he can send you an email when he is signing nearby.

I met Brandon in Raleigh. Although it was for the WoT signing and idk if that demographic is somehow different than his core demo, but I can't see how it would be.

Also I'm from Raleigh, NC. The South. I just had to upvote everything Shardlet said. Because he was right.

<_< Culturally the South and Texas are two very different places.  Texans do not have a "Southern accent" they speak "Texan".  They definately do not view themselves as part of the South and as far as I know the South generally agrees.  Because Texas was an independent country before it joined the USA, it has a strong individual cultural identity ^_^.  Being part of the Confederacy qualifies Texas as a Southern state only to those who are outside the South and Texas.  And frankly, I don't think that anyone outside of Texas or the South gets to decide. :P

Being a native Texan, I can say that Texas is more "Southwest" than "South", regardless of it's geographical location. The way I see it the "South" has plantations (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc... Think "Gone with the Wind") while the "Southwest" (or, typically, the "West") has ranches (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona... Think John Wayne and Clint Eastwood).

Another person who thinks Texas is definitely not the South.  And I'm from Utah/Maryland/Boston.  On the other hand, I am a fan of Pogo comics and have seen movies set in Texas.  Maybe that helps.

Love your qualifications. :lol:

• Chaos locked this topic