Theory: The17th Sharders are 17th Sharders

Two McMillion

What do we know about the 17th Shard as of The Way of Kings? We know a couple things. We know (assuming the letter was indeed written by Hoid) they're hunting for Hoid. We know Hoid left a false clue for them to chase after, which is probably good for them, because they wouldn't know what to do with Hoid if they caught him. Now, I submit that we already know of a group of people who meet these characteristics. It's us.

Here at the 17th Shard, we chase Hoid around the Cosmere, trying at every stage to guess his next move so we can be ahead of them. We're probably following quite a few false clues, but that's okay, because the fun is in the chasing, right? What would we ever do if we caught Hoid? That would mean no more theories, no more guesses, no more secrets, no more fun. We don't WANT to catch Hoid. We want to chase him. The conclusion is inescapable: the 17th Sharders are, in fact, 17th Sharders.

The only remaining question is which of you were the ones visiting Roshar. Hmm...

I do want to clarify that he didn't request that we be called the 17S.  When we went to him originally it was with the name of "Hoid's Compendium", and we explained that the reason we chose that was because Hoid was a world hopper and represented all of Brandon's works.  He then said that Hoid wasn't the best example, but rather there was an orinization of world hoppers.

He also said even back then that there were world hoppers in the books that had time on screen, but we wouldn't realize they were from another world without seeing the book or scenes from their point of view, so there is that....

quick handy tool for differentiating between them (the seventeenth shard in the books) and us (the 17th shard) is the use of words in reference to the in book seventeenth shard, and numbers in reference to us.  

ie: we are the 17th shard, Hoid is being chased by the seventeenth shard.

At least, that was the standard when I used to come here, before I randomly left for reasons unapparent to myself at the end of last year... although I'm not sure how I feel about throwing this in here after firstRainbowRose commented without mentioning it.

• Chaos locked this topic