little acts of service

Allomancy

Yesterday I pushed a guy's shopping cart back to the return for him. I was going to the return anyway, and he was elderly and looked pretty tired, so it seemed like a nice thing to do.

It was probably the pettiest and most insignificant act of charity this town has ever seen, but I felt like a radiant saint for doing it. :P

I've 'donated'* most of my weekends over the summer to helping decorate my uncle's sister's house. She is about 70, and has numerous health problems. My uncle broke his spine in the 80s, and hasn't been the same since with limited mobility, so he asked if I'd be willing to help.

Since then, I've spent most of my weekends at her house, and have painted several rooms, filled cracks in walls, fitted bits of skirting board, various heavy lifting tasks, and done a spot of gardening.

Since I completed work on her house, my uncle has recruited me to help him in his garden. My uncle and aunt have a tiny, patio'd garden, with a garage wall on one side, and the other three surrounded by conifer trees.. My first task was to cut away the ivy growing across the garage back door which leads into the garden, so I could actually get in. Then, after clearing the patio (look uncle, paving slabs!), I have spent the past two weekends at the top of a ladder, cutting the tops off the trees.

*When I say 'donate', I really mean that that branch of the family has done loads for me in the past, so when I was asked, literally the only answer I could give was 'Of course.'

• Chaos locked this topic