The 3DS

Chaos

So the 3DS is coming out soon in the US. What are all your thoughts on the subject?

It's too pricey for me to buy on launch. And while I've always thought 3D is a gimmick, I think this system is the best use for 3D ever.

I hadn't heard anything about it until now. I think it could be very cool or very gimmicky. I'd honestly have to try it myself to decide. It really irks me when movies come out in 3D but have no business doing so. Alice in Wonderland should not have been 3D in my opinion. It made it just another 3D movie. So I don't know. I sold my DS and I doubt I'll buy another hand-held system again. i really don't play games enough to justify a new system. The one thing that keeps me wondering is Zelda:Ocarina of Time. Arguably the best Zelda title ever. I've played every Zelda title to exist and it would be really hard for me to know that I missed one.

I think the 3D could be extremely gimmicky. I'm more excited about the additional processing power. If I feel like some 3D, or I heard a game used it especially well, then I'll use it.

Really, it's supposed to be a system that you have to see to believe. I'm quite excited to play around with one at Walmart.

The price tag is probably the biggest problem I have with it. I was originally going to wait for the inevitable redesign, but there are some good games coming out for it, like Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario, Kid Icarus, and Resident Evil. Even so, it might be awhile before I get one.

And chances are I'll probably never really use the 3D. Especially if it'll save battery power.

It's also annoying if you have people trying to watch you play. I got to take a look at one in action earlier today, and if you're not in the exact place you need to be, you end up seeing triple. The system itself is very nice-looking, though. I like the screen size, and the design is very sleek, with an intuitive-seeming button layout. I'm also a big fan of the bluish color and the metallic finish, though I wish they'd given us more color options.

Personally, I'm happy with my DS Lite. It plays every game I want it to - so far, anyway - and is extremely portable. I might have to get a 3DS for Ocarina of Time, though. Not only is it the best Zelda game ever made (in my opinion), it's the game that got me into games. How can I not play it?

That strategy doesn't work on planes :P

I don't think its a big deal, having the 3D not work with other people. I'd have to turn it off, sure, but 3D without glasses would have to be personal. Something you have to experience yourself. So that's the cue to hand the 3DS to your friend.

I'm guessing it'll be the same for games as it is for movies: for some, it significantly enhances the experience, for others it's just a gimmick, and for the rest it adds to the overall game, but not in any particularly vital way. But that's what the switch is for, I guess.

Yeah, it's all about software, really. Remember those early DS games that used terrible touch screen support? It's similar here.

To be honest, I've yet to play a DS game that has great touch screen controls that could not have been done with traditional controls and isn't The World Ends With You. But that's probably my own bias speaking.

Edited by Zayde

I would agree with you, Zayde, they are few and far between.

Probably the only game that I liked having a touch screen interface in was Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver. It was easier to open the menus from the touch screen than otherwise, and it was awesome.

I can honestly say that the only contact with 3D was with a couple of movies at the Clark Planetarium. I haven't been to a mainstream 3D movie or seen a 3DS or watched a 3D TV or anything. So I'm kind of confused by what all the hubbub is about.

It's mostly a gimmick, but seriously, you missed seeing Avatar in 3D? Ouch.

I've never even watched Avatar all the way through. We tried watching it once when I was staying the night with some friends (trying to make that sound as masculine as possible, lawlhey), but everyone was asleep within half an hour. And we were laughing so much while we were awake I couldn't even follow what was going on. Did I mention it was like three in the morning? Yeah.

• 12 years later...