What the heck?

Lightflame

The latest Penny Arcade is a childish attack on Brandon Sanderson. Seriously? What the heck? This boggles the mind. And apparently they haven't even read his books, they just heard about them from fans.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/09/30

Grr. This makes me want to use my internet rage.

Edited by firstRainbowRose
please avoid use of profanity. I know it is frustrating, but please keep in site rules.

Someone on Reddit said the comic is inspired by Brandon being popular with some coworkers, but not others.

It's definitely not as good as the Pat Rothfuss / Kvothe one, which was funny whether you liked the book or not.

The stupid thing is that the points are kind of valid - if the first panel hadn't been so blatantly confrontational, it probably would have been funny.

Heck, replace the 2nd and 3rd lines of the third panel with "Sanderson's books", and the comic works.

Also, the proper term for one of Brandon's fans is a Sanderfan, not a Sandersonian.  Sandersonian is an adjective.

Edited by Sir Read-a-Lot

/>Yeah, this was pretty annoying. We need an outlet where we can express our displeasure. I have a carton of eggs and couple rotten apples.

I'll grease the (awakened) rope and polish (metal) stake. Where do we meet ? :)

Also, they mention workplace division in comic commentary itself.

I found it funny. I don't think it was an 'attack' on him like a lot of people seem to think. It seems more of a joke about hearing fans talk about him all the time about how great his magic systems and world building is...

I've figured it out! Those of us who didn't find it funny have never been in the situation it describes: we've never been around someone hyping Brandon's books at uninterested people. Which means we've never done it ourselves. So when we say we didn't find it funny, we're outing ourselves for not hyping Brandon enough.

I just thought of it as not funny and an attempt to get Sanderfans to go there and bring up their views. 

And it got us talking about it and is posted here and on reddit, and has more people that don't read their comments going there and adding to their views. 

It was not funny or entertaining, but it was effective. 

I just felt embarrassed because I may have actually said things like that to people (at least in trying to convince them how awesome his books are).

Edit: Hey, at least we can all take comfort that such a facade would never work on a 17th sharder.

Co-worker: "Yeah...worldbuilding..magic...blah..blah"

17th Sharder: "I know! So do you have any ideas on the feruchemical properties of Lerasium?"

Co-worker: <head explodes>.

Edited by Serendipity

Keep in mind how horribly annoying a Sanderson fan sounds as they blab about "magic systems" and "worldbuilding", two things most people don't give two crap about. I didn't find it offensive, though it wasn't terrifically funny either. Really more of a case of He Panned it, Now he Sucks in action.

My issue is that there is a difference between panning something and calling it vomit inducing.

I didn't find it a criticism towards sanderson's books, but towards some of his overzealous fans. Well, I tried myself to get other people to pick up his books, but I am careful to not insist, as I know other people won't be particularly intersted.

Anyway, I found it totally lacking any kind of humorism. It just wasn't funny. It didn't even look like it was supposed to be funny. And not because it was picking on sanderson, I generally like satire on stuff I like (the wheel of time article on the italian unycyclopedia is probably my single favourite article there, and I started enough mock threads in this forum myself). I simply found it kinda stupid and lacking whatever special twist is required for humorism. Too bad, the subject of the joke had good potential.

I'm surprised how many people here haven't had to listen to annoying, overzealous fans.  You could even put a fair number of posts on these forums under that category.  I think it's ultimately a matter of perspective.  Plenty of authors get away with vaguely defined magic systems and/or shoddy worldbuilding, and some of them still write great books despite that.  Brandon himself argues that the main reason to define the magic system is that it makes using the magic to resolve situations feel less like deus ex machina.  There's plenty of readers who don't want nitty gritty details, and instead just want the overarching story and characters.

Edited by Cheese Ninja

I would argue that a well designed magic system does contribute to better storytelling, partially because it eliminates much of the deus ex machina, but also because (invoking Sanderson's Laws) a "scientific" magic system forces the characters to work within the exact confines of the system's abilities and limitations, which ultimately leads to more creative, interesting, and alive characters.

• Chaos locked this topic