Is the Steelhunt worth it?

Gamma Fiend

So I've been seeing all this Steelhunt stuff being talked about. And I know we're not allowed to talk about the information gained from it. From what I understand, it seems like we can find codes someplaces and then go online and get hidden excerpts? Sounds cool, but I ask, is it worth it? I don't really know where to find any of these codes, and don't keep up with that much Cosmere stuff that much anyway.

I'm not asking for any codes here, or trying to find out any of the information here, just wondering if this info is where actually trying to track down these codes, or should I just wait until it all becomes common knowledge?

It's up to you, really. I still think that Brandon will make the Steelhunt materials publicly available sometime after the event is over - thus giving the participants enough time to feel special, but also not excluding the majority of his fans from the fun. But if that doesn't happen, I think I am at least allowed to tell you what Steelhunt content we've unlocked so far (we get a new entry every 50 unique codes), and let you decide whether it's worth it:

• Words of Radiance - an interlude that seems to reveal a lot about the nature of spren (among other Cosmere things). The character of the interlude is a girl called Lift.
  • Legion: Skin Deep - the full chapter of the reading from Legion's sequel Brandon has done on several signings. It's the one with the date between Stephen and Sylvia.
  • Shadows of Self - the full chapter of the Shadows of Self reading that starts with Wax and Steris planning the guests list for their wedding.
  • Sixth of the Dusk - I am not actually sure what the deal with this one is. I know it's a sample chapter from a story Brandon wrote for his podcast, Writing Excuses. It's set somewhere (new) in the Cosmere, but that's all I (we) know about it.

So... is it worth it?

Does it suggest how many more things are available to be gotten? As in, will there be a point where we've hunted every last steel? Or as you find more will there just always be more material?

Also... new entry every 50 unique codes... so I'll have to collect 200 codes before I can read Sixth of the Dusk?

Does it suggest how many more things are available to be gotten? As in, will there be a point where we've hunted every last steel? Or as you find more will there just always be more material?

Also... new entry every 50 unique codes... so I'll have to collect 200 codes before I can read Sixth of the Dusk?

No the unique codes are a communal thing, everyone's codes count for the total. You only need one code.

I don't worry too much about it because they will all be released in their respective books, so far at least, so I don't need Lift's interlude as I can just wait til March and read the whole book, same for the Shadows of Self excerpt.

No the unique codes are a communal thing, everyone's codes count for the total. You only need one code.

Ooooh... so you're saying, if I can get one code, I'll both help myself by being able to read everything, and I'll help everyone by being one more drop in the "what else do we get" bucket. Oh that's cool!

Yes. Assuming you get a new code, of course - if somebody (e.g. me) shares a code with you, it won't count towards the goal. But every new code essentially adds 2% progress towards the next unlockable (at the moment of writing we are sitting at 173, so another 27 until a new piece of content). Also, regarding the total number of unlockables... I think Brandon said 10, but I am neither sure, nor can I find something to support my claim. 

Yes. Assuming you get a new code, of course - if somebody (e.g. me) shares a code with you, it won't count towards the goal. But every new code essentially adds 2% progress towards the next unlockable (at the moment of writing we are sitting at 173, so another 27 until a new piece of content). Also, regarding the total number of unlockables... I think Brandon said 10, but I am neither sure, nor can I find something to support my claim. 

Gee, what else could there be? I guess more Stormlight? He's kind of ticked all the boxes as far as his current projects go. 

Older stuff? Elantris 2?

My guess? He'll add the other chapters from the readings he has done, except in full. Every reading whose source chapter has been published on the Steelhunt page, has been incomplete. To give you a basic idea, he has read only about 10-15% (my rough estimate) of the entire Lift interlude; the reading from Legion: Skin Deep is also only about half of the entire chapter; Shadows of Self and Sixth of the Dusk are sitting at about 30% revealed. So it's very possible that there is more to Eshonai's chapter, Jasnah's prologue, and Dalinar's vision. That's another three stretch goals. I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw an excerpt from Firefight too, knowing that publishing that is on the short-term agenda. Other than those... another Shadows of Self is not unlikely, it also being on the short term. Elantris 2, I doubt - I was left with the impression that he hasn't even started that one, though he still hopes to release it in 2015 for Elantris' 10-year anniversary. 

This says there are 9 or 10 goodies and some of them will be "pieces of art."  Maybe more Epic Files like in the Books-a-Million/Target editions?

I also doubt there will be anything from Elantris 2.  The impression I've gotten from recent readings is that he doesn't have plans to start it anytime soon (it will be an in-between book).  I also don't think the plan is for it to come out during 2015 anymore.  He has said he wants to keep to two books a year and Shadows of Self is under-contract for March 2015 and Stormlight 3 is supposed to be that fall/holiday season.

(I think we have nine or ten of them in all. Some will be pieces of art, others will be chunks of writing from other upcoming books.)

It also says 'other upcoming books'. I'd love it if it works the way Argent thinks. It'd be great to have full chapters of Dalinar, Jasnah and Taravangian but I don't think we're going to get more WoR. Not in text anyway, but we'll probably get some artwork.

@@WeiryWriter, Elantris #2 2015 is actually possible. It's one of things I asked him during one of the Chicago signings - he said he would still like to have it done then, but is not certain he'll be able to. But he wants to.

Excellent! I do hope he is able to do it.

Wait, are you boy-Darnam or girl-Darnam?

(we should also be careful not to stray much further away from the topic. Shame on you, Rose, you should have told us)

Edited by Argent

Wait, are you boy-Darnam or girl-Darnam?

Heh, thanks, I should have said. I am male.

Steelheart: (Edna voice from The Incredibles) NO CAPES. No but really, it's something to keep in mind. He might be more likely to reward something that requires a bit more effort.

Scribbler: Mayhaps. Maybe I can think of some way to employ Rithmatics... carry around a Line of Vigor on a piece of paper, pretend to "draw" it, and find some way to have it zip across the floor away from me?

Awakener: Interesting. So... wear a cloak with a hood and patched cuts, tassels at wrist and feet (wrapped tightly around myself), and maybe a scabbard to look like Nightblood? A rope belt? Anything else I'm missing, and does anyone have ideas for how I could fake some Awakening?

I could also just spray-paint some garden wire metallic blue, glue coins to the end, build the whole thing into a chest-piece, and pretend to be a coinshot... it might be tricky to make the lines really GLOW blue. I might be going with a friend, perhaps I can task him with holding a flashlight.

EDIT: Because I forgot to address the Szeth idea. But but but... I like my hair...

Edited by Darnam

I think your best bet is the awakening or scribbler.  I mean, gray pants, white button up shirt, and gray sweater vest (I think).  Put chalk in your pokets, and tada!

Vasher, you're pretty spot on.  Dark clothes.  Otherwise, you could do gray pants and a bright shirt.  Or, if you want to go totally awesome, gray clothes, gray hair, gray skin -- easy lifeless!

Kay. I'll start work on a costume to wear (only way I can think of to be strongly sure he'll hand me a unique code). Mistborn has been done to death... any suggestions?

Just because it has been done to death doesn't mean Brandon won't give you a code. My sister's mistcloak won her a code and the Steelheart poster advertizing the signing. (and her cloak still makes me think of Chewbacca more than Vin.) Of course no one else dressed up unless they were hiding the costume under their seat untill they got in line for the signing part, so maybe it was from lack of competition... :wacko:

Are there any codes floating around Australia, or do we just miss out?

I live in the Philippines. I don't think we'll be winning new Steelhunt codes any time soon, Kadrok, not unless Brandon gives some away online.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who can participate in the hunt! :-)

And please hurry up because I want to see the new Cosmere-related info sooo bad...