Highstorms

ZeldaDad

So this topic is for anything and everything surrounding the phenomena of highstorms. Obviously, if you haven't read the Way of Kings, you probably shouldn't read this thread; spoilers will follow. As The Coppermind states: A highstorm is a particularly fierce weather system on the planet of Roshar. They happen every few days and move from east to west,starting at the Origin and continuing across the entire continent, though they weaken gradually as they cross,and are mostly broken by the mountains east of Shinovar. A highstorm has three general stages, the leading edge is called the stormwall and is the most dangerous part of the storm, being a wall of water, dust and other debris picked up by the storm, and extremely high winds, the main section of the storm has less debris although the powerful gusts of winds can still pick up large rocks on occasion, as the storm passes by it gradually calms until the trailing edge, called the riddens is simply light rain mixed with occasional relatively mild gusts of wind. At some point during the main part of the storm spheres left outside, usually in baskets secured to the undersides of roofs, are infused with Stormlight.

So that's a highstorm. Clearly not completely "natural" but the inhabitants of Roshar have found ways to deal with them. What I would like to know is what you think caused the storms? Why did they start, what is their purpose, will they ever stop, etc.?

A key aspect is the infusion of Stormlight that occurs durring the course of the storms. Why is this? Is this possibly an effect of Honor's shard similar to the mists in Mistborn? Or is it something else entirely unrelated to Honor?

I personally think it is much like the mists in Mistborn. They provided the power of a god to Vin. Stormlight is much the same, if less selectively used.

Ready, set, discuss!

Edited by Endra kin'Fox

I also have a strong feeling that the Highstorms (or whatever causes them) are related to the impermanent seasons as well. In order for their seasons to work like ours - planet tilt and all that - Roshar would have to be really off balance in a very unstable way. I have a feeling The Weeping, the period at the end of the year with light constant rain with one highstorm at the middle - is more important than we've given it credit for being.

I also have a strong feeling that the Highstorms (or whatever causes them) are related to the impermanent seasons as well. In order for their seasons to work like ours - planet tilt and all that - Roshar would have to be really off balance in a very unstable way. I have a feeling The Weeping, the period at the end of the year with light constant rain with one highstorm at the middle - is more important than we've given it credit for being.

Agreed. The really weird weather is quite the anomaly. It's nothing like the real world, or any world we know. Given the high-storms, this isn't surprising, but it is food for thought. Especially given that the seasons change with the Highstorms, IIRC.

Agreed. The really weird weather is quite the anomaly. It's nothing like the real world, or any world we know. Given the high-storms, this isn't surprising, but it is food for thought. Especially given that the seasons change with the Highstorms, IIRC.

No, that's --at least according to current knowledge-- incorrect.

The seasons (namely the weeping) influence the Highstorms, not the other way around.

The seasons (namely the weeping) influence the Highstorms, not the other way around.

Do we know this for sure or is this a "Are windspren attracted to the wind or do the cause it?" sort of question? We can tell they're related, but can we be sure which affects which?

No, Featerwriter, I believe you're right. The seasons are temporary.

Hardback, page 323

"Dalinar's stormwardens projected another few weeks of spring, followed by a return to summer. Hopefully it wouldn't turn to winter instead."

It's like this in the past too. In Dalinar's vision of when the Radiants give up their Shardplates and Shardblades, there's odd weather too.

Page 728

"Storming weather," the man muttered. "How long's it going to last? Been eight weeks already." Eight weeks? Forty days of winter at once? That was rare."

The other really really interesting thing about the Highstorm? They have some connection to the spren. When Rysn is in Shin (during one of the interludes), she notices the green grass, the soft soil, and the utter lack of spren. This seems to be because there is no Highstorms in Shin (because of the mountians).

Dalinar's visions only come during a Highstorm.

There are no Highstorms in Shinovar.

Therefor: if Dalinar went to Shinovar he would no longer get visions?

Ooh, ooh, ooh.

If the Highstorms and spren are connected,

and Dalinar's visions are linked to the Highstorms.

Then, Dalinar's Vision's are caused by spren?

Do we know this for sure or is this a "Are windspren attracted to the wind or do the cause it?" sort of question? We can tell they're related, but can we be sure which affects which?

So you mean that Highstorms not happening for a long time is what triggers the Weeping?

Dalinar's visions only come during a Highstorm.

There are no Highstorms in Shinovar.

Therefor: if Dalinar went to Shinovar he would no longer get visions?

Yes, that's more than likely.

If the Highstorms and spren are connected,

My theory is that Spren "exist" everywhere on the planet, but that they need a certain base level of ambient energy to appear/manifest which the stormlight provides.

Shinovar is simply an energetic "wasteland" due to the hightstorms being dispelled by the mountains, so no stormlight = no spren.

My theory is that Spren "exist" everywhere on the planet, but that they need a certain base level of ambient energy to appear/manifest which the stormlight provides.

Shinovar is simply an energetic "wasteland" due to the hightstorms being dispelled by the mountains, so no stormlight = no spren.

I like and agree with this theory. This is what I have thought from the beginning, in terms of spren. Many think the spren are parts of Honor's body as well(if I remember correctly). I think the storms are part of Honor's body. Maybe then connection is there. Maybe it's totally different. Continue discussion.

Hmm. Now I wonder. The weeping comes at the same time every year and is how the Rosharians keep track of years, but does it actually line up with the revolution of the planet? And if so, what about the planet's positioning causes the weeping to occur?

In terms of size of a storm, I figure they're about twice the size of a large hurricane from what I've read. Compared to the storms we get in the midlatitudes, that's pretty small. Means they're more intense, though.

What's truly interesting is that, apart from a small hint by Hoid, the evidence is fairly strong that the storms travel only East to West. If that is true, where do they go after they hit the western point of the globe? I have two potential explanations. The more reasonable one is that they travel still further, so that in reality there is a small number of storms that circle the globe, hitting Roshar over and over again. Alternatively, and somewhat more far-fetched, they could be absorbed by Honor's body. We have evidence that Honor is in the West, and windspren, potentially pieces of the Shard, follow the storms in that direction. Syl, too, felt an urge to follow them, so it's not just one kind of spren. Could Honor be somehow reforming?

On another note, the ketek in the endnote has a lot of, albeit cryptic, information on the storms. Most intriguingly, it describes them as dying. This meshes with my first theory, as storms that exist for that long must eventually falter.

Lastly, while on the topic of planets, can someone find me a quote as to which directions the sun rises and sets in? I have a hunch that the axis of rotation will make a lot of difference in the way we look at things.

I had an idea, maybe really it is the continent that is moving. Somewhere on the planet there is a gingantic storm(s) that Roshar (the continent) passes through, when it gets to the eye of the storm it ends until it enters again. this could explain why they can be calculated mathmatically and why the seasons are so short.

But then it would be perfectly mathematical. If Roshar runs into storm in an ABFDFD pattern (for time), even if that pattern is over several years, it would be noticed and predicted, perfectly.

Of course, if the storms do move slightly, and do grow and swell and shrink (as storms tend to do), then that could explain the general predictions.

But what about seasons then? Perhaps Roshar has no tilt, so really, there are no seasons, just temperature and wind changes.

I was thinking that they would have a tilt but that the continent would be moving along so that every 8weeks (or however long their seasons are) it would be in an other hemisphere where they would be experiencing a different season then the one they started in. I really don't have much to back up this idea but I just kind of thought about it when I noticed Roshar is shaped like a hurricane cloud. I still need to iron out some kinks to see if it could work.