Gaz? (possible spoilers)

Southpaw

Welcome to the forums! Watch out for horrifying delicious spikes cookies!

I'm not familiar with many theories on what happened to Gaz, but I'd guess Asmodean.

Edited by Kurkistan

Gaz is tricky. He just up and disappeared on us. I suppose it's possible that he was assassinated, though why you would assassinate a down on his luck miserable SOB sergeant like Gaz is beyond me. It's also possible he was executed, but he was around after Lamarils execution, and kind of disappeared when nothing was happening IIRC, so I don't know of any particular reason he would be executed outside of whatever he was being blackmailed over. I believe that it was hinted by Brandon that he went the way of Asmodean, so it's unlikely he is alive, but I like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Welcome to the forums! Watch out for horrifying delicious spikes cookies!

I'm not familiar with many theories on what happened to Gaz, but I'd guess Asmodean.

Gaz is tricky. He just up and disappeared on us. I suppose it's possible that he was assassinated, though why you would assassinate a down on his luck miserable SOB sergeant like Gaz is beyond me. It's also possible he was executed, but he was around after Lamarils execution, and kind of disappeared when nothing was happening IIRC, so I don't know of any particular reason he would be executed outside of whatever he was being blackmailed over. I believe that it was hinted by Brandon that he went the way of Asmodean, so it's unlikely he is alive, but I like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks! And yeah I read that quote about the Asmodean thing as well... I just don't remember any clues that would have hinted at who would want to kill Gaz... Besides everyone.

No MadRand :'D no you didn't nail it ;)

I don't think Gaz is dead actually, I have no evidence to support this but I actually liked his whole internal conflict and antagonization of Kaladin. So I look forward to his return

Sorry if this seems a little rude guys, but some people in the Stormlight Archive Forums haven't read all the books in that Other Series. I'm four books in, and don't know if what your talking about is major or not but I'd still rather not stumble upon it here.

Edited by Ethrien

What if Good ol'

Darkness

got Gaz.  He did seem to be close to seeing spren out of his non eye.  I think he inhabits all of the traits of a budding KR.  Better to nip him in the Bud before he blossoms into the leader of men he was destined to be. 

I realize it would be insane for Gaz to be worthy of his notice without Kaladin being of equal or more interest , but I'm just spit balling here...  Seeing what sticks.

Edited by agrooster

Soldiers out of favor are usually sent to the bridge crews - very few are executed. Lamaril even threatened him with this specifically, I think. So that's my leading theory, shabby as it is. 

I do, however, like the idea that he might have been seeing a spren. There is even less evidence for this than for the idea that he is now a bridgeman, but I like the subtlety. 

Sorry if this seems a little rude guys, but some people in the Stormlight Archive Forums haven't read all the books in that Other Series. I'm four books in, and don't know if what your talking about is major or not but I'd still rather not stumble upon it here.

The only reference to another book in this thread is to Asmodean who was famously mysteriously killed in WoT.  Brandon made the connection between Gaz and Asmodean by analogizing Gaz's mysterious disappearance to Asmodean's mysterious death.  However, I did not get any direct analogy from the quote saying something like a similar thing happened to Gaz as did Asmodean.  But rather, Gaz's disappearance is similar to 'who killed Asmodean' in that there were clues in the book but no express disclosure. 

Brandon said that all the info is there to figure out Gaz, but it seems that (evidenced by the lack of serious Gaz theories) the community has found those clues to be elusive.

Edit:  I see clearly now that you were directly referring to WoT, Ethrien.  I initially thought you were referring to Brandon's other books.  I now see the capitalization for "that Other Series".  Sorry for butting in.

Edited by Shardlet

Personally, and this post might be an unpopular one, I don't think it is out of line for people to have been discussing Asmodean's death, it was a parallel that Brandon himself brought up.  It is only natural for us to mention it.

I'm sorry Ethrien that you are only now getting into the Wheel of Time because with all the books out you have the greatest potential of being spoiled. But, the specific book that contains the event in question came out over 20 years ago, the statute of secrecy is kind of over.  Even still though, people in this thread didn't mention any of the circumstances of the event (the who/what/when/where/why/how of it all) and even still the event isn't a particularly important one.  It was a minor mystery, and because it wasn't particularly spoilery it became one of the most theorized, of the series.  I'm actually shocked you hadn't heard of it.

I'm sorry Ethrien that you are only now getting into the Wheel of Time because with all the books out you have the greatest potential of being spoiled. But, the specific book that contains the event in question came out over 20 years ago, the statute of secrecy is kind of over.  

That's a fair point, but Asomdean's fate is only really resolved (more hinted at, anyway) in one of the more recent books.  Asmodean died years and years ago, but the loose thread was tied much further into the series.

That's a fair point, but Asomdean's fate is only really resolved (more hinted at, anyway) in one of the more recent books.  Asmodean died years and years ago, but the loose thread was tied much further into the series.

Yes but the only thing being discussed in the thread so far was the fact he died.  They didn't spoil who killed him, just that he died, if they had you would be right but they didn't so i think my point still stands. "XXX killed Asmosdean" would be covered under the Statue of Secrecy, "Asmodean is killed" is not.

If there are clues and I cannot even identify them, I'm not even going to try. Just gonna wait for it to be stated. It is exciting though. If it is not something Brandon is willing to tell us, I would hope that means it has a twist-like conclusion. 

As far as the Asmodian thing goes,..... that event, his death, was published a decade ago. It no longer qualifies as spoiler material. It is too old by far, sorry. The person who killed him - that was only published recently, but wasn't spoiled anyway. All is well.

Egwene can Channel.

Just because something was published long ago doesn't mean everyone has read up to that point in the story. New people are probably still picking up The Eye of The World everyday.

I think it would be a good idea to use spoiler tags when discussing things like this.

Doing a re-read of the WoT, I could see that the clues about his killer were actually there.  

As for Gaz, I think the clue I noticed is that Kaladin's spheres were important to him because he owed money to someone.  It may have been a tiny bribe, but he wasn't going to keep up without it.  

Fine I'm going to rip out some spoilers:

Peter Parker's spider bite gives him super powers.

They end up giving the One Ring to Frodo.

Darth Maul dies.

I don't think these things should be banned in this thread because my 15 year old brother has read Stormlight Archive and may want to talk about it, but hasn't seen Star Wars, even though he is interested. The subject of Asmodean is 10x more relevant on top of that. We can't baby everyone while discussing information that is relevant to the topic. You wouldn't say, "Oh, please don't compare this love story to Romeo & Juliet because some people don't know what happens at the end and it would be a spoiler."

So what we know ?

1- Gaz survived a wound that should have killed him 

2- Gaz had a secret that Laril knew and had to pay him bribes 

3- Gaz thinked that the shadow in his bad eye are unatural, as something moved there - Odd - 

4- Someone said that Gaz sometimes paid the brigde 4 with dull spheres 

*Edit* 5 - Sly showed interest in him  that prompt Kaladin jealous.

*Edit* 6 - He had a strange monologue about how he hated do what he did.

1-  Odd - Unusual cures are associeted with a surgebinder

2-  What secret ? Maybe a something forbidden like a surgebinder power?
3 - Coincidence? - Shallan, Jasnah, Elhokar noticed something similar {nahel spren?}
4 -  Odd - Surgebinder sign?
5 - Sly showed interest in Dalinar too, and many shader here believe he is in the path to radiance
6 - Some kind of Honor, compassion, guilt something.... that could in a way attract a spren ?

We know that there is at least one peson that was the funny hobby of kill potential surgebinder and is associeted with shadows.

This is the best I got =)
Edited by Natans

So what we know ?

1- Gaz survived a wound that should have killed him 

2- Gaz had a secret that Laril knew and had to pay him bribes 

3- Gaz thinked that the shadow in his bad eye are unatural, as something moved there - Odd - 

4- Someone said that Gaz sometimes paid the brigde 4 with dull spheres 

1-  Odd - Unusual cures are associeted with a surgebinder

2-  What secret ? Maybe a something forbidden like a surgebinder power?
3 - Coincidence? - Shallan, Jasnah, Elhokar noticed something similar {nahel spren?}
4 -  Odd - Surgebinder sign?

We know that there is at least one peson that was the funny hobby of kill potential surgebinder and is associeted with shadows.

This is the best I got =)

Wow, that is good stuff. Never put those together like that, thanks!

The only rub with that theory is that we don't see such a person in WoK.  Brandon indicated the clues were there, not in coming material.

Edit: Yes, I know that we do actually 'see' him in WoK.  But we don't see any indications of his activities.

Edited by Shardlet