[SOS Theory] Wax's Missing earring description

Soother

So a few people have asked Brandon what Wax's earring is made of, and he has not given a straight answer to anyone yet (Myself included. I asked him yesterday, as I hadnt seen the question asked since SOS came out. He said he would likely take questions on it during the tour for the next book). The earring is mysteriously not described in detail, even though it has significant screen time. Right now, I am assuming that it is the new Harmony God-Metal. I would think over 300 years, such a new metal would not be available in great quantities, or the location of the source is not otherwise known to people yet (Kandra may be another story), though there may be enough of a reserve for a few Pathian earrings.

He said he would likely take questions on it during the tour for the next book). 

God Beyond, he is touring for Bands of Mourning too? And he'll probably want to do one for Calamity as well. This man is not going to see his family for more than a few days for the next 6 months...

God Beyond, he is touring for Bands of Mourning too? And he'll probably want to do one for Calamity as well. This man is not going to see his family for more than a few days for the next 6 months...

With how prolific he is, I have a hard time imagining him leaving his study except for tours. Maybe the bathroom occasionally, lol.

Peter has mentioned that the Bands tour would be mostly non-existent and the Calamity will be rather short.

I thought the earring might be vins. I don't know how true that would be, but it would be really cool if the earring followed the entire series.

Only as long as it is passed down to an antagonist somewhere across the line, just like many Wax&Wayne antagonists have paralels to Kelsier.

Only as long as it is passed down to an antagonist somewhere across the line, just like many Wax&Wayne antagonists have paralels to Kelsier.

I think it's her earring because MeLaan gave it to him and I can see Harmony wanting to give Wax something powerful. It could be useful for him to have bronze along with steel. He would be able to detect other allomancers and they wouldn't expect it. That being said if he melted it down to make a bullet there would be a problem, though admittedly I have only gone through SoS once so far.

Doomdude, you just gave me an idea (probably a stupid one). Has a "double-dipped" spike been considered yet? Like, you have a charged hemallurgic spike, then spike someone else with it? If Wax were to say, "Screw it. I'm not wearing that earring. I'll have Ranette turn it into a bullet, too," then shot an allomancer/feruchemist with it, what would happen with its charge? What if he shot a Sentry ferring with Vin's earring, and it went through and hit someone else in just the right place? Instant bronze compounder? I know, this is ridiculous speculation, but...

Doomdude, you just gave me an idea (probably a stupid one). Has a "double-dipped" spike been considered yet? Like, you have a charged hemallurgic spike, then spike someone else with it? If Wax were to say, "Screw it. I'm not wearing that earring. I'll have Ranette turn it into a bullet, too," then shot an allomancer/feruchemist with it, what would happen with its charge? What if he shot a Sentry ferring with Vin's earring, and it went through and hit someone else in just the right place? Instant bronze compounder? I know, this is ridiculous speculation, but...

Well it needs to be the right spike, you can't store bronze allomancy and feruchemy in the same spike. It's been mentioned a few times but as far as I know we don't have any WoB on it.

I still vote that his earring is a koloss spike.  Just human-granted strength, drained down to such a level that it has no real effects except as a divine communication device.  He would know if he were accidentally tapping a new metalmind or burning a new metal.  So when Wax talks about feeling stronger in the mists, the only thing that truly makes sense is that the mists (now a representation of Ruin as much as of Preservation) are fueling his spike.

SoS Spoiler

I'm referring to his original earring.  Not the new one he's been given.

I still vote that his earring is a koloss spike.  Just human-granted strength, drained down to such a level that it has no real effects except as a divine communication device.  He would know if he were accidentally tapping a new metalmind or burning a new metal.  So when Wax talks about feeling stronger in the mists, the only thing that truly makes sense is that the mists (now a representation of Ruin as much as of Preservation) are fueling his spike.

SoS Spoiler

Actually I think the two have separate mists, Brandon mentioned it before AoL came out I believe though so not sure if he decided to stick with it or not.

I believe there was a WoB that those that practice the magical arts are now more receptive/sensitive to the mists than they had been in the Final Empire days. There was confirmation of a Ruin mist and a Preservation mist, but now I guess it's a Harmony mist.

I was under the impression that it was reforged from an Inquisitor spike

Wax's original earring started as at least part of a spike, yes (source). His new earring has a description very similar to that of Vin's earring. It may just be a coincidence but I like the idea that it's the same, so if it's got enough of a hemalurgic charge left to grant Allomancy then it means Wax now has at least some abilities as a Seeker. Which might be useful for him to have in the future...

In either case, can't be Harmonium since I'm reasonably certain that Sazed wouldn't approve of anyone murdering people with his metal to create a spike out of it, among other assumptions required for that to be the metal used.

Edited by Weltall

I think it's her earring because MeLaan gave it to him and I can see Harmony wanting to give Wax something powerful. It could be useful for him to have bronze along with steel. He would be able to detect other allomancers and they wouldn't expect it. That being said if he melted it down to make a bullet there would be a problem, though admittedly I have only gone through SoS once so far.

I am... not sure why you wrote that as a reply to my post. My point is that if her earring gets passed along between the protagonists of different eras it would be nice for it to be passed down to a deserving antagonist for once, so it is more a symbolic connection to Vin than a "hero trinket".

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

SoS Spoiler

Indeed, he would know if he were burning a new metal. If he burnt a new metal. If the Investiture was fed directly to him through the mists, he might not. He did notice that he felt like he had extra power but wrote it off as adrenaline and thought it was all in his head. Keep in mind, he also thought it was all in his head when he felt Sazed communicating with him...

Indeed, he would know if he were burning a new metal. If he burnt a new metal. If the Investiture was fed directly to him through the mists, he might not. He did notice that he felt like he had extra power but wrote it off as adrenaline and thought it was all in his head. Keep in mind, he also thought it was all in his head when he felt Sazed communicating with him...

Also given that almost all (probably all but added almost for safetys sake) allomancers are mistings now they might not even think about different types of reserves enough to recognize that it's separate, IIRC Vin needed to take a while to realize that her reserves were separate powers after Kelsier pointed it out.

Also given that almost all (probably all but added almost for safetys sake) allomancers are mistings now they might not even think about different types of reserves enough to recognize that it's separate, IIRC Vin needed to take a while to realize that her reserves were separate powers after Kelsier pointed it out.

Oh, if Brandon's earlier comments/mild spoilers about what is now Era 3 are still true, it's definitely "almost". ;)

Oh, if Brandon's earlier comments/mild spoilers about what is now Era 3 are still true, it's definitely "almost". ;)

I've been assuming that Mistborn was a hemalurgic creation but it could be natural I guess, but even so if they don't exist at the current point in Scadrials timeline it'd still currently be all. :P

If the earring is indeed a hemalurgic spike, that means one of two things. Either;

A ) This is an old spike, from around the Final Empire

or

B ) This is a newer, more recently created spike

Option A would mean that there is very little chance the earing would actually be doing anything, as it's Hemalurgic 'charge' would've been slowly leaking out over the years. I'm pretty sure it's been specifically stated that larger spikes leak fast enough that the Inquisitors specifically tried to get them into a new host as fast as possible, for fear of lossing power. If that is the case, then there's virtually no chance that Wax's earring would do anything more than allow him to communicate with Harmony.

Option B's a little darker; the earring was made by stabbing someone recently (around the time of AoL). This could mean it still confers powers (since it's potentially still fresh when Wax gets it), but this also means that it's far less likely to be Vin's original earring. It could be (and probably is) modeled after the original, but is not the same.

Of course, it could be that there's just a process of preserving a Hemalurgic spike that I don't know about (Hah. Preserving Ruin. I see what I did there).

Edited by Cr1msonRa1n

Of course, it could be that there's just a process of preserving a Hemalurgic spike that I don't know about (Hah. Preserving Ruin. I see what I did there).

I don't have the text of Shadows of Self on me to refer to, but doesn't it say that if you coat the spike in blood it stops the decay of power/loss of charge?  Of course, then we get into questions of whether or not the blood needs to be wet, and whether or not that's feasible for long periods of time.

I've been assuming that Mistborn was a hemalurgic creation but it could be natural I guess, but even so if they don't exist at the current point in Scadrials timeline it'd still currently be all. :P

Given Harmony's influence on (most) Hemalurgic creations, that wouldn't make for much of a plot. Unless more of that alien God Metal is lying around...

edit:

I don't have the text of Shadows of Self on me to refer to, but doesn't it say that if you coat the spike in blood it stops the decay of power/loss of charge?  Of course, then we get into questions of whether or not the blood needs to be wet, and whether or not that's feasible for long periods of time.

Yes, this is in Spook's in-universe book iirc? It's pretty consistent with the MO of Hemalurgy to require you to wound or kill extra people in order to minimize hemalurgical leakage.

Edited by Ari