Taravangian

Moogle

That is a plausible line of reasoning.  I don't see any indication yet that he has seen or does see storm visions like Dalinar does.  i also don't see what role Betab plays in the whole thing.  If she did come to help, I doubt she would have done so using her true name (but that is semantics).

I agree that Taravangian is genuine in his quest.  I also think he will fail and I wouldn't be surprised if he fell at the hands of his own people.  Although karma suggests that Szeth should do it.

As to the waywardness of the post, let us call it an ode to Taravangian: A tragic figure. :lol:

Brandon doesn't write morally gray protagonists;

I agree with everything you wrote above apart from this. Brandon definitely writes morally ambiguous characters...

Kelser and Hoid are the most obvious characters to note.

Kelsier is, basically a psycophath (or at least a sociopath) and manipulates all the other characters in TFE for the sake of his own need for revenge. It just so happens that his plan is actually one that combats the evil of the Steel Ministry and the tyranny of The Lord Ruler.

Hoid is even more ambiguous, he seems to do good but is entirely focussed on the big picture and his own goals. I do not doubt that Hoid would leave someone to die in order to achieve his desires. We have no idea if his ultimate design is for good or not.

Then look as Jasnah, the whole point of her lesson to Shallan is that morality is not so easy to define. Jasnah I would say is definitely a morally grey character.

I agree that Brandon does tend to make it clear who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. This, I think, comes out of his cinematic writing style.

That said, it is not really clear in TWoK who the enemy really is.

Taravangian and Szeth, as you so eloquently say, do evil things but may not be the bad guys really.

Odium is still very amorphous and it is unclear exactly what his influence has been. But he is, undeniably a bad guy.

Sadeas is the closest thing to a true antagonist in the book, but he is no worse than any of the other highprinces, he is just more powerful and devious. He may yet be redeemed with some / all of the others is Dalinar succeeds.

I think there are plenty of morally ambiguous characters in SA. It is, for me, what makes the series so compelling.

Edited by The Count

That sounds like a pretty sound theory.  I wonder why, if he wants to unite everyone he'd want Dalinar dead?  He seems to be a force for uniting.  Maybe he only cares about Alethkar and Big T needs someone more Globally minded, and he needs a weak Elhokar to do that.

I think Taravangian doesn't want Dalinar to unite the Alethi princes because it will interfere with his own plans for a more global unity. I can't remember the quote word for word, but at the end, in his conversation with Szeth, he actually SAYS that Dalinar is getting close to uniting the princes and that is the reason he orders Szeth to kill him. I think he believes he is the only one who knows what is coming and how to stop it. It doesn't occur to him that Dalinar is also aware and trying to prepare his nation for the desolation.

Someone else pointed out in a different thread that Dalinar is known as the Blackthorn. He was a bad guy, a war general to a tyrant (from a certain perspective).

Big T might not know that Dalinar has changed his stripes. Oh sure, he certainly has spies or something watching things, but Dalinar's recent honorable behavior could all just be an act.

If Taravangian's is actually a moral guy trying to create instability, why does he tell Szeth to essentially "kill everyone in the way"? I don't see how burning through normal soldiers would have any more shock value than say, flying around and destroying shardbearers. 

Maybe Tara has been corrupted, maybe he was always a grey figure, but I really can't see him as honorable/selfless.

Someone else pointed out in a different thread that Dalinar is known as the Blackthorn. He was a bad guy, a war general to a tyrant (from a certain perspective).

Big T might not know that Dalinar has changed his stripes. Oh sure, he certainly has spies or something watching things, but Dalinar's recent honorable behavior could all just be an act.

It should be noted though, that Dalinar began his change shortly after the death of Gavilar.  He apparently had been acting the way he is now for quite some time.  Enough time for him to become renowned for honorability.

It should be noted though, that Dalinar began his change shortly after the death of Gavilar.  He apparently had been acting the way he is now for quite some time.  Enough time for him to become renowned for honorability.

Yes, but he could have been acting the whole time. Or he was shaken up by the death and this honorable side is just his way of coping and will go out the door as soon as things get too difficult.

Yes, but he could have been acting the whole time. Or he was shaken up by the death and this honorable side is just his way of coping and will go out the door as soon as things get too difficult.

No, Dalinar's been acting in a fashion opposite that of every last one of his peers.  It's *been* difficult for him.  His alliance with Sadeas only came about after every last one of the other Highprinces had rejected him.  Further, if Taravangian knows about the recent changes that Dalinar forced onto Elohkar, then he *also* knows about Dalinar giving up his shardblade (news about something that unusual is going to spread like wildfire).  And that's not the move of a man who's "acting".

(Or as Kaladin puts it later when he's mulling over the issue, at what point does pretending to be honorable essentially become being honorable?  If Dalinar's willing to give up his shardblade in order to "pretend" to be honorable, then won't *all* of his actions essentially be those of an honorable man regardless of the actual motivations?)

Yes, but we're talking about what T knows from his spies. Dalinar gave his shardblade up at the end of the book. T ordered his assassination at the end of the book, also. There's no saying whether he knew about that latest move or not.

Also, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here.

1)I hope we can start calling him Mr. T here, like in that other thread. Cause it's just too funny.

2)Mr. T orders Szeth to kill as many as he can in order to sow as much chaos as possible. This is what Mr. T needs. Not just an assassin, a a ruthless force of nature that terrifies people. Assassins have been a threat forever. This new thing though, this unnatural beast that slaughters in white, that's a very powerful unifying tool. The man seen to beat someone/something like that after it has wiped out all other competition... well let's just say Mr. T might just be handed the crown.

3)Whether Mr T. believes Dalinar to be the Blackthorn or the new honorable man he is now, he's still competition. You can't have two people 'Unite Them'. Mr T is already committed to his goal and he's been working at this for a while. His bet is 'all-in' at this point. No half-assing it or hesitating. He MUST be the only person to unite the land, knowing what only he knows.

At least that's what I've been assuming Mr T's line of logic has been.

dalinar is honorable, but from the outside it can all seem a ruse for political goal. And T certainly has no way of knowing of his visions. as far as he's concerned, he's just another warlord of alethkar. and as far as being an honorable one, lord harrowmont from dragon age was an honorable guy, but still giving him the crown resulted in political paralysis and hisolationism. being honorable don't mean you can do the job. So as far as T knows, killing dhalinar is still for the best.

And that's the main reason doing evil for a good cause is wrong. I mostly agree with the consequentialistic point of view, so killing one thousand people to save a million would actually be a good thing. Problem is, there is no such a thing as omniscience, and you can't be sure of your judgment. So, if you try that way, you know for sure you're doing evil, but you don''t know whether the goood will happen or not.  you are likely to kill one thousand people and fail to save anyone. or you save that million, but will build up tension that will result in a bigger war later. or maybe those million people weren't going to die anyway and you just killed your thousand for no reason. or maybe you almost manage it, but are stopped by someone who is equally good oriented but disagrees with yourr strategy - or simply don't know about it. Maybe someone else has a better solution and you're hindering him (which is the actual case here).

So, doing evil for a good cause is wrong, because 99% of times it don't work and it only makes things worse.

But yes, I symphatize with T anyway.

Yes, but we're talking about what T knows from his spies. Dalinar gave his shardblade up at the end of the book. T ordered his assassination at the end of the book, also. There's no saying whether he knew about that latest move or not.

Also, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here.

As for I'm sure that the chapters are chronological Dalinar had already given up his Shardblade when Szeth received the order to kill him from Taravangian. Given that there exists an instant form of communication (spanreeds), Taravangian could have got the information already (surely he has his spies on the Shattered Planes).

Musing: What if Dalinar giving up his Shardplate made him unworthy in Taravangian's eyes? What if this action is the reason for Taravangian to want to have Dalinar "removed"?

In conjunction with that Meg, I'd point out that the final Dalinar/Kaladan scene occurs in the book after thet Szeth/Taravangian scene.  And that the final Kaladin/Dalinar scene is the same day that Dalinar gave up his shardblade.  The time frame for communication becomes more crunched.

Does anyone else here think that is was a very good thing for Taravangian that Szeth showed up on one of Taravangian's good days?

In conjunction with that Meg, I'd point out that the final Dalinar/Kaladan scene occurs in the book after thet Szeth/Taravangian scene.  And that the final Kaladin/Dalinar scene is the same day that Dalinar gave up his shardblade.  The time frame for communication becomes more crunched.

How do we know this? There are no clear chronological markers in the book from what I've been able to tell. I always felt like the dates of the Death Chants in the Epigraphs served to give a general time-frame, but that breaks completely down later in the book when the Epigraphs jumps months ahead in time while several chapters take place the very same day.

Does anyone else here think that is was a very good thing for Taravangian that Szeth showed up on one of Taravangian's good days?

You think he might have somehow been able to plan for it? If not, what do you think would have happened if he turned up on one of his bad days?

Edited by Aether

As for I'm sure that the chapters are chronological Dalinar had already given up his Shardblade when Szeth received the order to kill him from Taravangian. Given that there exists an instant form of communication (spanreeds), Taravangian could have got the information already (surely he has his spies on the Shattered Planes).

Musing: What if Dalinar giving up his Shardplate made him unworthy in Taravangian's eyes? What if this action is the reason for Taravangian to want to have Dalinar "removed"?

Interesting.  I think that what slated Dalinar for execution was his effectiveness.  If the Alethi were going to be well led, Mr. T had to put a stop to it.  For one thing, it would be harder for Mr. T to be the only leader left.  For another, a younger Alethi leader would be a more logical candidate to take over. 

Mr. T could have been reacting to Dalinar and Sadeas working together, but I actually think that he is reacting to the Highprince for War arrangement.  I think Mr. T has spies close to Elhokar.  I wonder whether he also has cryptics spying on Elhokar.  They could even have seen the confrontation w/Dalinar and passed the information to Mr. T somehow. 

Good point, because according to my own theory "Justice", "Recorded in Blood" and "Trust" should have happened on the same day. And though I claim spanreeds and spies, it seems unlikely (even to me) that Taravangian really already knew about Dalinar's decision when Szeth reached him.

I don't think he can choose his good and bad days.

Why the tests every morning, if he could choose?

I agree with Hoser. If you are working to unite the people (thus ending war), the last thing you would want is an Alethi High Prince Of War. Perhaps Mr. T thought Dalinar could be "converted" because of his recent actions, but it hen he finds out Dalinar wants to be High Prince of War. That, on its face, seems to go against Dalinar's recent public action. Mr. T knows the what, just not the why.

How do we know this? There are no clear chronological markers in the book from what I've been able to tell. I always felt like the dates of the Death Chants in the Epigraphs served to give a general time-frame, but that breaks completely down later in the book when the Epigraphs jumps months ahead in time while several chapters take place the very same day.

You think he might have somehow been able to plan for it? If not, what do you think would have happened if he turned up on one of his bad days?

I thought of this too. I think he calculated that even on a bad day he could manage to say "Don't kill me" and hold a stone in the air.