Hello from Virginia - and I have a theory about Shallan and her father

Arachiel

Anyone else from VA, anyone?

Anyway, does Shallan have a Shardblade??

I just came across this little quote while rereading the book that I must have inexplicably skipped first time through because I did not remember it at all: 

Before she could consciously think of what she was doing, she was struggling with her sleeve, trying to get the Soulcaster out. It was the only thing she had resembling a weapon. No, that was stupid. She didn't know how to use it. She was helpless.

Except...

Storms! she thought, frantic. I can't use that. I promised myself.

She began the process anyway. Ten heartbeats, to bring forth the fruit of her sin, the proceeds of her most horrific act. (p799)

Obviously, that sounds like a Shardblade. And this seems to imply, with "the fruit of her sin," that she obtained it from

her father, who she killed.

Does anyone have any theories on who he might be and who he was involved with? How did he come across both a Shardblade and a Soulcaster, and still be of such low ranking? It was mentioned that the men he was apparently involved with had strange diamond tattoos on their hands. Could they be related to those creatures Shallan (and supposedly Jasnah) sees? I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Welcome, Journie. Up until last year I lived in Virginia (for about 4 years).  What town are you in?  I was in Alexandria and Woodbridge.  As to your first question:

Yes.

I don't think the cryptics have anything to do with the Ghostbloods collectively.  I suppose there is potential for a Ghostblood to be bonded to a cryptic.  As to theories on your other questions, they are many and varied.  And, since WoR (Words of Radiance) is Shallan's flashback book, I suspect that we will get much info about these questions.

• 9 months later...