Wow. I didn't even know there were papers on the economics of human sacrifice.

It's not about the actual sacrifice, per se, as much as it is about questions of "When is it acceptable to voluntarily lose the value/wealth that a human being can produce?" Or something like that. Pros and cons, but not actually focusing on the emotional part of taking another human's life. I've read up on some issues like this in the past that look at economic values of things we consider taboo now.

I've found myself going into a lurking phase, :ph34r:  where I just read through threads, but never have anything to say about them. Is this a normal sharding phase? :huh:

Totally normal.  If and where you want to jump in, go for it.  Eventually something will grab you.

Waiting on my download of this paper on the economics of piracy from the school network.

...Found out a few minutes later I accidentally downloaded a paper on the economics of human sacrifice instead. Well. Okay.

This is all I could think of while reading your post.

Sparks: "I have a book for you."

Debbie: "What is the book called?"

Sparks: "A modest proposal."

Debbie: "By Whom?"

Sparks: "Jonathan Swift."

Debbie: "And what is the book about?"

Sparks: "...Eating babies."

Edit:

AHA! Found it.

Edited by Iron Eyes

"It is easy to do what is wrong, to do what is bad for oneself; but very difficult to do what is right, to do what is good for oneself."

"By oneself the evil is done, and it is oneself who suffers: by oneself the evil is not done, and by one's Self one becomes pure. The pure and the impure come from one's self: no man can purify another."

"The hunger of passions is the greatest disease. Disharmony is the greatest sorrow."

"He who does what should not be done and fails to do what should be done, who forgets the true aim of life and sinks into transient pleasures -- he will one day envy the man who lives in high contemplation."

"Let a man be free from pleasure and let a man be free from pain; for not to have pleasure is sorrow and to have pain is also sorrow."

The consolations of philosophy are rich.

I've found myself going into a lurking phase, :ph34r:  where I just read through threads, but never have anything to say about them. Is this a normal sharding phase? :huh:

Everyone else is too nice to tell you, but it sounds like you've been possessed by void spern. I suggest plenty of bed rest and several glasses of fresh squeezed lime juice ;)

“Your death will soon be on you: and you are not yet clear-minded, or untroubled, or free from the fear of external harm, or kindly to all people, or convinced that justice of action is the only wisdom.

Look into their directing minds: observe what even the wise will avoid or pursue.

Harm to you cannot subsist in another’s directing mind, nor indeed in any turn or change of circumstance. Where, then? In that part of you which judges harm. So no judgement, and all is well. Even if what is closest to it, your own body, is subjected to knife or cautery, or left to suppurate or mortify, even so that faculty in you which judges these things should stay untroubled. That is, it should assess nothing either bad or good which can happen equally to the bad man or the good: because what can happen to a man irrespective of his life’s conformity to nature is not of itself either in accordance with nature or contrary to it.

Think always of the universe as one living creature, comprising one substance and one soul: how all is absorbed into this one consciousness; how a single impulse governs all its actions; how all things collaborate in all that happens; the very web and mesh of it all.

You are a soul carrying a corpse, as Epicetus used to say.” --Marcus Aurelius, Meditations.

And I'm not moving to Mesquite, TX, either. Tomorrow I'll print and fill out apps to IL and WY, since they like to kick it old school. :ph34r:

Probably for the best. If there are enough of those stupid trees to name the town after them, it's probably not that great of a place to live. :mellow:

Thanks, Lark! Who my phone thinks should be Alarm.... for some reason. :huh:

Probably for the best. If there are enough of those stupid trees to name the town after them, it's probably not that great of a place to live. :mellow:

This is true. I'm still hoping I hear back from Neenah. It used to be that id consider it a bad thing that I didn't hear back for so long....but I didn't hear back from Indianola for over w month, so I think this is just how public libraries do.

Unmmmm is anyone else watching the Nintendo Direct cos it is HYPE

"Bill? Bill! BILL! BIIIIIIILLLLL!" XD

Also, Pokken! Wooo!

NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!

Come on, Cloud? Seriously? We need another sword character? *Is obviously going to download him anyway*

Id rather have like Zidane, Vivi or Chrono if we are getting a Square Character, oh well.