Probably share the food. Unless it is someone who is worth more as food, then I'll just eat everything and the person.

Most people however are more useful when they can work, so I'll probably share it.

Yeah, I'd share. I'd feel awful if I just kept it to myself. Unless the other people on the island were, say, serial killers.

Well let's say this happened. You know that it will be at least 30 days before a ship arrives to help you, based on your knowledge of shipping schedules, etc., etc.

The food party can only keep your whole party alive for 15 days, and that's stretching it. You know this. You also know that the food can keep you and a few others alive for the whole time it will take a ship to get there. So what do you do?

Accept your death because you don't have enough spine to let some people die to save some?

Choose some people to live, knowing that the others will die? And make that decision every time you eat?

Tell someone else and leave the decision to them?

It really is an interesting problem to think about, and looking at it right now, I would probably choose a form of #2. I would probably rationalize to myself that I wasn't really playing God with other people's lives, it was just the perfectly logical thing to do. I imagine that when faced with the very real possibility of death, most people would pick #2 or #3.

Well let's say this happened. You know that it will be at least 30 days before a ship arrives to help you, based on your knowledge of shipping schedules, etc., etc.

The food party can only keep your whole party alive for 15 days, and that's stretching it. You know this. You also know that the food can keep you and a few others alive for the whole time it will take a ship to get there. So what do you do?

Accept your death because you don't have enough spine to let some people die to save some?

Choose some people to live, knowing that the others will die? And make that decision every time you eat?

Tell someone else and leave the decision to them?

It really is an interesting problem to think about, and looking at it right now, I would probably choose a form of #2. I would probably rationalize to myself that I wasn't really playing God with other people's lives, it was just the perfectly logical thing to do. I imagine that when faced with the very real possibility of death, most people would pick #2 or #3.

Being the spineless person I am, I'd choose option 0: Leave the house as little as possible, and never ever travel anywhere you might possibly be stranded so as to never be forced into a decision like this. :ph34r:

Being the spineless person I am, I'd choose option 0: Leave the house as little as possible, and never ever travel anywhere you might possibly be stranded so as to never be forced into a decision like this. :ph34r:

Grrrr. People like you are why I can never have discussions about things like this. :P

Like the train example (kill 50 people or 10), where people are like, "This is such an unrealistic situation." I don't even have an answer.

Grrrr. People like you are why I can never have discussions about things like this. :P

Like the train example (kill 50 people or 10), where people are like, "This is such an unrealistic situation." I don't even have an answer.

Jump on the train and pull the emergency brake. You know, assuming that you're coordinated. Which I'm not. There's a reason that my sport involves only lifting my legs. If it isn't forbidden in the scenario it's permitted. :ph34r:

That sounds like a fascinating conversation, really.

Jump on the train and pull the emergency brake. You know, assuming that you're coordinated. Which I'm not. There's a reason that my sport involves only lifting my legs. If it isn't forbidden in the scenario it's permitted. :ph34r:

LISTEN TO ME!!! LISTEN!!! THE ONLY TWO OPTIONS ARE KILLING 10 PEOPLE OR KILLING 50 PEOPLE!!! THOSE ARE THE ONLY OPTIONS!!! THE ONLY ONES!!!

Edit: Thank you Slowswift.

Edited by Guest

Option 5: Put a handprint on a volleyball and name it Wilson.

WILSOOOOON

Poor Wilson...

LISTEN TO ME!!! LISTEN!!! THE ONLY TWO OPTIONS ARE KILLING 10 PEOPLE OR KILLING 50 PEOPLE!!! THOSE ARE THE ONLY OPTIONS!!! THE ONLY ONES!!!

I reject your binary choices. There is always another way!

Edit: Thank you Slowswift.

That's a rather poorly built train, but I guess I would save the fifty by the deaths of ten. The Knights Radient would not approve. Also, I do love moral philosophy. I just really like loopholes.

That's a rather poorly built train, but I guess I would save the fifty by the deaths of ten. The Knights Radient would not approve. Also, I do love moral philosophy. I just really like loopholes.

It does depend though, if my mother is among the ten then sorry fifty people, you have to die.

Still, loopholes are a lot more fun. Take the third option, cut the gordian knot, and other poetic stuff as such.

It does depend though, if my mother is among the ten then sorry fifty people, you have to die.

Still, loopholes are a lot more fun. Take the third option, cut the gordian knot, and other poetic stuff as such.

Agreed. Every time someone says "No, you can't fish or hunt or gather berries, you can ONLY eat the food from your supplies!" my first question is "Why? Why can I only eat that food? Is everything else on the island poisonous? Is there no vegetation at all? Is this some bizarre island that's made up of poisoned plants and is surrounded by blowfish so unless we have a chef authorized to prepare fugu, we're screwed? WHY IS THERE NO THIRD OPTION, I DEMAND TO KNOW."

The important question is which group had Sanderson in it? You'll want to avoid that group.

If he has the sense to not loiter on train tracks, which group has the cutest boy/girl that you would like to ask out? And if they say 'no' or 'I'm already spoken for' you can always back the train up...

What's even worse than people deliberately making jokes about the problem and refusing to answer it? NOTHING!!

You gotta understand, when you give someone a specific example that does have a binary choice, the correct answer is not "Well, it's a binary choice, so...nope! Not gonna answer!"

>inb4 someone says that exact thing.

Edit: Not to be agressive or anything, loopholes are great, but I wanted to have a serious conversation...although admittedly, the train answer if so obvious that it isn't exactly conducive to a serious conversation.

Edited by Guest

What's even worse than people deliberately making jokes about the problem and refusing to answer it? NOTHING!!

You gotta understand, when you give someone a specific example that does have a binary choice, the correct answer is not "Well, it's a binary choice, so...nope! Not gonna answer!"

>inb4 someone says that exact thing.

Edit: Not to be agressive or anything, loopholes are great, but I wanted to have a serious conversation...although admittedly, the train answer if so obvious that it isn't exactly conducive to a serious conversation.

It might help if you gave us a choice that is, without question, binary. All of the examples you've provided so far have implicit third or fourth options, so we loophole finders can't help but find them. :P