3d-model of an Axehound

Taln

Very nice! That is really good work.

I love how with the included artwork in the books we're able to get so much more detail and imagery for Rosharian Ecology, allowing awesome fanart adaptations like this.

Hope we can see other Roshar wildlife 3-d models in the future!

Hey, could you do more posts so I can upvote you more:)

Seriously, tremendous work. Absolutely seamless transition from 2-D to 3-D

EDIT: Have you sent these to Brandon yet? Because if no, change that to yes. In all likelihood, he'll probably feature it with a tweet or a blog post. Basically Internet Immortality

Edited by bartbug

Thanks!

@ Gamma Fiend: Me too, absolutely! As for further models, who knows what the future will bring?  :D

@ bartbug: Thanks for the tip, it's definitely worth a shot

@ Natans: I'm currently working to make the model 3d-printable. All updates on this will be posted here of course  ;)

For all who are interested: here's a link to a 360°-view of the model

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3mjpwo9yj5a2bq/turntable.mov

Have fun =)

Edited by Taln

@Botanica: Thx  ;)

@Inkthinker: I'm pretty far down the road, so it would be too late for any major changes. I am still doing some final tweaks before I 3D-print it, though, so any critics are appreciated.  :)

Yeah, I put some extra effort into the way the mandibles move when the mouth opens and closes and to make sure they would look right when it's closed. 

Wow, I bet it will look pretty cool after printing!

The only thing I would mention, then, is that the antennae might be difficult to deal with (so thin, very fragile), but you can opt to show them closed and laid back against the shell (aggression indicator) instead of perked forward and open. 

Alternatively, if you could put it together and the pieces were tough enough, little ball-sockets at the base of the antennae would make them both articulate and add a variety of expressions. Each antenna could be symmetrical, so you can print up a dozen and they can be either left or right.

I hate to be a critic, but....

Your Axehound reminds me of a German Cockroach. The segmentation on the Axehound is very different from what I would expect to see on a crustacean and closer to what I would expect to see on an insect. It looks cool, but just looking at it without knowing what type of creature it was supposed to be, I'd place it somewhere between an insect and an arachnid.

I hate to be a critic, but....

Your Axehound reminds me of a German Cockroach. The segmentation on the Axehound is very different from what I would expect to see on a crustacean and closer to what I would expect to see on an insect. It looks cool, but just looking at it without knowing what type of creature it was supposed to be, I'd place it somewhere between an insect and an arachnid.

It still looks like the original sketch, doesn't it? IIRC, Axehounds are of a somewhat different subtype than Cremlings.

@Taln: Could you make a picture of it sitting on its tail, like it does on a small sketch in linked picture?

Yeah, I agree with Sats.  It is pretty spot on with the sketches from the books.  So I would say it looks more like an axehound than a cockroach or a crustacean.  From the above comments, it appears that the original artist would agree.

@ Inkthinker: The antennae really were too thin, but I liked them standing up, which made it look curious in a way. The model isn't too big (about 15x10x7cm), so I made them just thick enough to reach the minimum wall thickness ( .3mm). They are still quite fragile, but I hope that they'll hold.  :)

post-8978-0-39116300-1393172928_thumb.jp

post-8978-0-83182500-1393172923_thumb.jp

post-8978-0-58369200-1393172931_thumb.jp

@ Gloom: The segments on the back really do look like scales, which wouldn't make you think of a typical crustacean, but I wanted to stick to the sketches 'cause they look so cool. B)​  

Edited by Taln

The only thing I would add is that when looking at details like the way in which the segments of the limbs join, or the shell segments, look into extreme close-ups of lobsters and crabs, as well as arachnids and insects. This may also come in useful if texturing.

The segmentation on the Axehound is very different from what I would expect to see on a crustacean and closer to what I would expect to see on an insect. It looks cool, but just looking at it without knowing what type of creature it was supposed to be, I'd place it somewhere between an insect and an arachnid.

Well, he's working from a single, limited reference. It's certainly one of the best attempts I've seen so far.

I will say that when designing the shelled creatures of Roshar, I look primarily at crustaceans (as per the design mandate), but I also draw influences from all varieties of arthropods, including arachnids and insects. They all share common evolutionary ancestry.

Thanks, I totally forgot to adapt the elbow joints of the front legs. The separation between the limbs really looked too extreme.

It should look better now.

post-8978-0-44690800-1393173004_thumb.jp   post-8978-0-54722700-1393173006_thumb.jp

The points, where the legs and the body join are more difficult, though. If I make the transition between the two parts smoother, the joints need more than a single body segment each, which would look awkward, I'd say.

@ Satsuoni : I'll do that, but it could take a while, for I have to redo the skin weighting for the parts of the skeleton that deform the most. So maybe in a few weeks.  ;)

@ Natans : I guess I'd have to ask Brandon/Inkthinker for that.

Edited by Taln

Thanks, I totally forgot to adapt the elbow joints of the front legs. The separation between the limbs really looked too extreme.

It should look better now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bszkk87pa237n5n/front_joint.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7ie2ehir8d23ly/front_joint_redone.jpg

The points, where the legs and the body join are more difficult, though. If I make the transition between the two parts smoother, the joints need more than a single body segment each, which would look awkward, I'd say.

@ Satsuoni : I'll do that, but it could take a while, for I have to redo the skin weighting for the parts of the skeleton that deform the most. So maybe in a few weeks.  ;)

@ Natans : I guess I'd have to ask Brandon/Inkthinker for that.

I gonna try ask =)

I don't have a 3-d printer and I'm willing to buy one model to put in my book shelves=)

Edited by Natans

• 1 month later...