Everyone is just saying hello, but I wonder about Kal's dad.

Buggy Onion

Welcome, Buggy!  Glad to have you with us.

I think that Lirin is the person Kaladin looks up to the most.  After how things went with Roshone and the sacrifices that Kaladin sees his parent making, Lirin becomes the person Kaladin admires the most.  Kaladin seeks to honor his parents sacrifice by putting the interests of his family ahead of his own.  Kaladin now wants to be like his father.  When Tien is drafted out of spite for Lirin, Kaladin again puts family before self and promises to protect his brother in order to mitigate a consequence of the Roshone ordeal.  Then, Kaladin fails and Tien is killed.  In the meantime, Kaladin has become a skilled warrior, unlocking his natural talent for the spear.  Unable to again face his failure to protect Tien, he re-enlists.  In doing so, he ultimately compounds his perception of his father's disapproval by continuing to choose to be a warrior.  That is some powerful mental juju that is tough to overcome. 

Thank you for this comment Shardlet.

I do wonder what Lirin would do in a conversation with Kal?   Do either of them feel that Kal can continue on his path to become a surgeon.  What does it mean to be a Windrunner.  Besides, Kal is believed to be dead.

Edited by Buggy Onion

I think Kaladin coooould continue his studies.  But, I think he is going to be more needed elsewhere.  I think it is more likely that Lirin will eventually acknowledge that you can kill to protect thus validating Kaladin's new path in life.

• Chaos locked this topic