Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

6 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Right now, as they're stuck in my head and my mom won't stop singing them, thereby putting them back in my head:

I am of the opinion that every song titled " Christmas" should be burned, and then their ashes burned as well. <_< 

*me, pretty much Buddy the Elf, shuffling away*

25 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Right now, as they're stuck in my head and my mom won't stop singing them, thereby putting them back in my head:

I am of the opinion that every song titled " Christmas" should be burned, and then their ashes burned as well. <_< 

The Twelve Pains of Christmas is one that will restore your faith in holiday humor.

27 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I am in agreement. 

Further, if I hear Bing Crosby one more time...:angry:

7 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

I am in agreement. 

Further, if I hear Bing Crosby one more time...:angry:

Oh, gods, I hate the crooner songs.  I always have.  Something about that soft, mellow voice hits a nerve and I'm ready to punch the radio in the face.

1 hour ago, Erunion (The Incorrigible) said:

... Hard not to like the Trans-Siberian orchestras Christmas stuff though! At least their 'Christmas Eve/Sarajevo' is suitably epic and Christmas-ey! Try encouraging that!

I looooooove "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo" and "Wizards in Winter"!! Can't get enough of that shrieking electric guitar.

Vocal Point has an epic a cappella cover of "Sarajevo" (which is funny because "Carol of the Bells" is normally performed by an a cappella choir, and then TSO covered it instrumentally, and then Vocal Point covered their cover a cappella again! XD):

Spoiler

13 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

If you want a nice break that's still in the spirit of the season, may I suggest Relient K's "Santa Claus is Thumbing to Town"? :ph34r:

Hmm, I've heard some Relient K that I've liked before. I'll check it out sometime. :)

Though it should be noted that the post made an error: I don't hate every Christmas song, just ones starting with a color, and then only when they're stuck in my head forever. :rolleyes:

The crooner style must have seemed so intimate and personal when it was new (because early microphones absolutely needed you to belt a song out), but it's so mannered and "parent/grandparent music"-ish that it's hard to take any emotional expression in them as genuine.  For example:

Compare to, say:

15 hours ago, Sunbird said:

@Slowswift Ok, so you don't like Bing Crosby's "White Christmas," but the only other song I can think of that fits that description is "Blue Christmas." What do you have against Elvis? 

Well, I don't hate White Christmas on principle. Just the version with the annoying falsetto, and just when it gets stuck in my head and won't leave.

Blue Christmas, though... I don't like that song. Nothing against Elvis, just the song. :P 

9 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Well, I don't hate White Christmas on principle. Just the version with the annoying falsetto, and just when it gets stuck in my head and won't leave.

Blue Christmas, though... I don't like that song. Nothing against Elvis, just the song. :P 

How about "Christmas Nights in Blue" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra? 

31 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

I do not like Christmas songs in a box, I do not like them with a fox. I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere! I do not like Christmas songs, I do not like them, Twi-I-Am!

But don't you like electric guitars? Don't you like them, Orlion-you-are?

Christmas songs with electric guitars are still christmas songs.

I'm feeling really unfestive this year.

On the upside I'm still planning to turn February* into Weirdoween**

My birthday is in February, it has nothing to do with that I really dislike the holiday that takes place during said month and feel like ruining it for everyone with weirdness.

**Name pending, suggestions welcome.

Edited by Zathoth

The notion that to have a good discussion, everyone must agree on every point that is made, in the same way and for the same reasons. That's not a discussion. That's what we call an "echo chamber."

(It's worth noting that I don't really see this on the Shard, because the Shard is Best Website. Elsewhere, though...)

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

The notion that to have a good discussion, everyone must agree on every point that is made, in the same way and for the same reasons. That's not a discussion. That's what we call an "echo chamber."

(It's worth noting that I don't really see this on the Shard, because the Shard is Best Website. Elsewhere, though...)

Shard is Best Website till I've hit the rep quota and can't up vote you :P

1 hour ago, PlanetReelo said:

People who think that introversion is something which requires 'curing'. No, I DO genuinely just like to read for hours on end. No, I'm not lonely - when i want to spend time with my friends, I do. And no, introversion does not equate to shyness. 

I'm glad there's another introvert who isn't considered shy.

Most folks assume i don't want to talk to them, because my mind simply goes blank when trying to think of a reply or a topic of conversation.  And quite often, I'm off in the corner.  If anyone's ever watched TNG, you can think of me like Lieutenant Barclay.