Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I believe this theory has merit, yes. 

A couple of months ago I had an essay due in my first class of the day (which starts at 7:30!) and I arrived at the school half an hour early so I could print it from the handy-dandy school library printers. 

I got there, and all of them were vacant, so I sat down and opened up my laptop to print my paper. I proceeded to the print screen, where I gave the order and waited. And waited. And waited. I did not get that paper printed out, nor did I arrive to class on time. That was a fun day.

We can just chalk it up to Printers - 1, bleeder - 0. 

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

What is?

Specifically the following:

I always liked the idea of the Roman Imperium, how honor played a large part, and if a man would behave the same in his domus as well as in public.

You know, the idea that a politician ought to act the same in private as he would in public.

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

I'm pretty sure Greece did it earlier. I don't know who did it before the Greeks.

democracy........not exactly. Wealthy upper-class citizen men got a vote. It was apparently the long lost ancestor of our modern democracy but not exactly the same thing.

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It wasn't modern democracy, no, but it wasn't absolute monarchical rule, either. 

Sparta had a really interesting system. I don't remember all the details off-hand but they had four or five different groups that had a really interesting balance of power between them.

I'd rather a monarchy than a dictatorship.

3 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Sparta had a really interesting system. I don't remember all the details off-hand but they had four or five different groups that had a really interesting balance of power between them.

I'd rather a monarchy than a dictatorship.

I think what Sparta had was an oligarchy. 

And yeah, me too.

3 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I think what Sparta had was an oligarchy. 

And yeah, me too.

if thats the word for multiple governing bodies, then yes.

I think there were 30 people voted regularly, a council of 5 elders, two leaders who were sort of kings and.....i think there was one other leadership body.

It seems I'm in for a wiki battle over whether the series of books taking place on Scadrial should be refered to as Mistborn or Final Empire.

Context: the first Mistborn book, FInal Empire, was released in Poland as simply Mistborn and somehow people started refering to the series as Final Empire. It's very irritating but I have influence over the Polish Sanderson group and I'm part of the fansite. I think that with time I can eradicate that. But most Polish sources are some internet reviews and of course they are mindlessly perpetuating the original mistake and the wiki editior points them as proof I'm wrong.

It doesn't help even publisher goes back and forth about the naming in the blurbs.

I hate new shoes. Particularly leather school ones. 

Today I wore new leather school shoes.

And now my left foot is now a regiblister. And almost all the skin on the back of my right foot has been rubbed off.

Come on! I don't buy shoes to harm my feet, I buy them to protect my feet