Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

Does your houses also have "stuff nobody wants to take care of"? <_<

And no, it's definitely not within my duties to take care of it. And I won't cause I'm tired of doing things like that - I just did the dishes since nobody else did that and I'm pretty sure that if I set the table and manage the dishwasher then the rest of the dishes isn't mine to do.

The lack of humanity in a novel.  I was reading the next installment in the lost colonies series.  And the author is doing some terrible stuff to the galaxy.  While that bothers me, its nothing compared to the lack of a reaction to this happening by the characters in the novel.  Where's the outrage?  The Anger?  The sadness?

The characters seem to simply not care.  And that annoys the crap out of me, more then anything else.

Multiple choice questions.

I always end up talking myself into "All these answers could be right if the question means X".

Just let me write an essay. I hate second guessing myself, and at least that way I can outline my thought process.

2 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I always chew ice cubes when finishing a drink. Why is that bad for teeth, @TwiLyghtSansSparkles?

Because they're both brittle and cold, they can crack tooth enamel and even chip teeth on occasion. I guess that crushed ice is better for teeth than cubes, but it's still not recommended. 

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Because they're both brittle and cold, they can crack tooth enamel and even chip teeth on occasion. I guess that crushed ice is better for teeth than cubes, but it's still not recommended. 

And it makes terribly hellish noises...

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Seriously? That was one of the few really good points in Order of the Phoenix. :huh: 

Exactly! How could you forget that the entire reason for the DA's formation was because Umbridge refused to actually teach any defense??

5 hours ago, Sunbird said:

Exactly! How could you forget that the entire reason for the DA's formation was because Umbridge refused to actually teach any defense??

It's not hard to keep the two books straight. OOTP is where Umbridge refuses to teach Defense and Harry's mood swings put emo kids to shame; HBP is where Harry cheats at Potions and invades Malfoy's privacy. 

2 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Problem: Most of this support comes in the form of  long conversations, and I tend to run out of replies fairly quickly.

So did the people who talked to me, when I told them my story. They said as much, along with offering sympathy, and I was grateful for their attention. I knew that my experiences weren't universal, and that when I told people about them, they wouldn't always know how to respond. This did scare me, as I was terrified of driving these people away by giving out too much information about my life, but I didn't lose any friends. 

One thing that helped, surprisingly more than I'd thought it would, was when these people would exhibit shock or anger over what I'd been through. I'd been led to believe that my home life was above average, that my parents were fairer and more understanding than most parents out there, and so to have my friends respond to something my parents did with "They did what?!" or "Your parents are the worst and if I ever meet them, I'll say it to their faces" gave me permission to be upset about the things they'd done. That was huge. It meant that I didn't just have to grin and bear it, "forgive and forget" as my parents constantly insisted I must do, but that I could be angry about the past. 

So don't worry too much about always having the perfect thing to say, because that's not the important thing here. Just listen. And if she tells you something that happened to her, something that leaves you in shock or makes you furious at her parents or whoever mistreated her, tell her so. 

I probably should stop reading internet comments written by strangers. Especially when it's about something I like, like books or care about, like Cosmere.

But the pet peeve is people who read fantasy, fantasy, one of the main genres supposed to implement brave ideas and things not done before and things like that. And then those people complaining over anything that doesn't fit with what they're accustomed to.

"This Shardblade/Shardplate thing feels just like anime videogame". Yeah, of course, we all should stick with Gandalf and Aragorn expies. Mage is wise, powerful and for the sake of the plot cannot actually do anything meaningful and the warrior has to be... scratch that, you all know what I mean.

And God forbid if the book isn't overdosed with gritty like misery-driven-plot of Song of Ice and Fire. Then it's obviously bad and unrealistic <_<

Edited by Oversleep

40 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I probably should stop reading internet comments written by strangers. Especially when it's about something I like, like books or care about, like Cosmere.

But the pet peeve is people who read fantasy, fantasy, one of the main genres supposed to implement brave ideas and things not done before and things like that. And then those people complaining over anything that doesn't fit with what they're accustomed to.

"This Shardblade/Shardplate thing feels just like anime videogame". Yeah, of course, we all should stick with Gandalf and Aragorn expies. Mage is wise, powerful and for the sake of the plot cannot actually do anything meaningful and the warrior has to be... scratch that, you all know what I mean.

And God forbid if the book isn't overdosed with gritty like misery-driven-plot of Song of Ice and Fire. Then it's obviously bad and unrealistic <_<

I see this too "Allomacy feels like Im reading a video game".. Because Tolkien forbid that you find inspiration from anywhere but his work, Robert Jordan and maybe, if you are feeling daring, possibly the works of Michel Morcook and the old weird fiction writers.

49 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

4 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

I see this too "Allomacy feels like Im reading a video game".. Because Tolkien forbid that you find inspiration from anywhere but his work, Robert Jordan and maybe, if you are feeling daring, possibly the works of Michel Morcook and the old weird fiction writers.

I have a book called Fondling Your Muse, a parody of writing advice books. In it, the author, John Warner, has a chapter on "Recipes for Your Success," which is a four-page spread of recipes for bestsellers. There's one for Contemporary Romance Quiche, which calls for "3000 tons cheese (Velveeta brand preferred), 400 tons treacle, cardboard, and 1 towel (for weeping)." The author is then instructed to let the cheese "thicken and congeal" and to "fashion character-like things out of cardboard and roll in cheese, then drizzle in treacle. Serve with one weeping towel per reader." Pretty funny stuff. 

Anyway, at the beginning of that chapter, Warner compares readers to babies. "They like the white mush, and sometimes the off-white mush, but if you try to serve them the green mush, you'll wind up with a mouthful of strained peas in your face." He advises the writer to "stick to the white mush." It's meant sarcastically, this being a parody and all, but there's a good deal of truth in what he says. Just look at how often yet another book about yet another conflicted assassin in a fantasy-type setting falling in love with their intended victim yet again rises to the top of the charts and gains a thousand glowing reviews. 

I'm not saying originality is bad, not at all. Just that so many readers seem to find comfort in the familiar that it can make originality a hard sell. Which is storming frustrating, for those of us who want it. 

9 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I have a book called Fondling Your Muse, a parody of writing advice books. In it, the author, John Warner, has a chapter on "Recipes for Your Success," which is a four-page spread of recipes for bestsellers. There's one for Contemporary Romance Quiche, which calls for "3000 tons cheese (Velveeta brand preferred), 400 tons treacle, cardboard, and 1 towel (for weeping)." The author is then instructed to let the cheese "thicken and congeal" and to "fashion character-like things out of cardboard and roll in cheese, then drizzle in treacle. Serve with one weeping towel per reader." Pretty funny stuff. 

Anyway, at the beginning of that chapter, Warner compares readers to babies. "They like the white mush, and sometimes the off-white mush, but if you try to serve them the green mush, you'll wind up with a mouthful of strained peas in your face." He advises the writer to "stick to the white mush." It's meant sarcastically, this being a parody and all, but there's a good deal of truth in what he says. Just look at how often yet another book about yet another conflicted assassin in a fantasy-type setting falling in love with their intended victim yet again rises to the top of the charts and gains a thousand glowing reviews. 

I'm not saying originality is bad, not at all. Just that so many readers seem to find comfort in the familiar that it can make originality a hard sell. Which is storming frustrating, for those of us who want it. 

(Is this where I tell everyone to read Perdido Street Station?)

I think it ends up into "Are you writing because you want to tell a story or are you writing because you need to pay the bills?" Sure, some writers probably love the white mush, I am not judging them too harshly for it, but at least try storm it DX

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

The series of Vivaldi concertos known as The Four Seasons is part of a larger 12-concerto work called "The Battle Between Harmony and Invention."  Even in 1725, it was understood that's the battle in popular art - you can only go so far towards the popular and familiar, and you can only go so far in introducing new ideas.

I admit I like novels that are vaugley familiar.

They don't always have to be the same exact thing every time, but familiar concepts.

I'm sure that's a terrible thing to say from an artistic point of view.  But from a consumers point of view it makes sense.

Edit: If your interested in a musical with some really out there ideas on what comes after this life, I'd invite you all to listen to Paul Shapperah's album 'A Slenderman's Musical'.

Edited by mattig89ch
Adding my 2 cents

On 10/22/2016 at 8:47 PM, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Clearly what we really need is a book about a bodyguard who is protecting the intended victim of an assassin, slowly grow to realize that their ward annoys the crem out of them and is a terrible person, and then wind up trussing her up and delivering her to the assassin encircled in a big red bow.