Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

7 hours ago, bleeder said:

I use glucose tablets. They're like huge smarties, but literally chalky and gross. Low blood sugar really is the worst.

Bleh.  I'd rather grab a couple of honey sticks.

I'm not actually diabetic (I've been tested), but I've always had this reactive hypoglycemia thing, as far back as my teenage years.  I'm at the biggest risk during the first few hours of the day, depending on what I've had for breakfast.  Usually the egg I eat with my cereal is enough to keep me steady through till lunch, but sometimes if I get delayed in eating it all just goes crashy.

What is the point of alcohol? Like, what is the actual storming point of it?

Maybe I have skewed opinions. Everyone I know who drinks, I think they drink too much. But it's frustrating; if money is so tight, why waste it on alcohol and cigarettes? 

For that matter, why drink period. I do not get the appeal of bring drunk...but that makes me the weird one, apparently.

On 18.11.2016 at 2:49 PM, Quiver said:

Maybe I have skewed opinions. Everyone I know who drinks, I think they drink too much. But it's frustrating; if money is so tight, why waste it on alcohol and cigarettes? 

For that matter, why drink period. I do not get the appeal of bring drunk...but that makes me the weird one, apparently.

I also used to think that way. My opinion changed after I started to drink alcohol myself.

See, there is a whole spectrum between "sober" and "drunk". Drinking is not all about getting drunk. Sometimes you just want to get some wine with that Italian food. Anyway, it shouldn't be the point of drinking to just get drunk. There's a fundamental difference between sharing a bottle between friends and getting drunk alone. I can elaborate more but not now. Got stuff to do :)

BTW, I agree: if money is tight, it's stupid to buy alcohol and cigarettes. While I can argue why there's nothing wrong with (reasonable) drinking I don't get smoking. As one of my teachers once put it: "You stink and you pay for it." Of course, there are also health consequences but most people don't listen to health argument.

Edited by Ookla the Sunrise Watcher
and I never elaborated

28 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I also used to think that way. My opinion changed after I started to drink alcohol myself.

See, there is a whole spectrum between "sober" and "drunk". Drinking is not all about getting drunk. Sometimes you just want to get some wine with that Italian food. Anyway, it shouldn't be the point of drinking to just get drunk. There's a fundamental difference between sharing a bottle between friends and getting drunk alone. I can elaborate more but not now. Got stuff to do :)

BTW, I agree: if money is tight, it's stupid to buy alcohol and cigarettes. While I can argue why there's nothing wrong with (reasonable) drinking I don't get smoking. As one of my teachers once put it: "You stink and you pay for it." Of course, there are also health consequences but most people don't listen to health argument.

Yeah.

I admit, this might be...my family has more than one alcoholic in it, so  might just have a nit of an extreme viewpoint. But it still...

It frustrates me. I hate being told that finances are bad when someone buys a bottle of vodka. I hate people getting drunk when they could be doing literally anything else. it...

It's a personal problem. Sorry.

2 hours ago, Quiver said:

You're not the only one. I don't get it either. It tastes terribly and I don't think it would actually make me feel better.

2 hours ago, Quiver said:

Yeah.

I admit, this might be...my family has more than one alcoholic in it, so  might just have a nit of an extreme viewpoint. But it still...

It frustrates me. I hate being told that finances are bad when someone buys a bottle of vodka. I hate people getting drunk when they could be doing literally anything else. it...

It's a personal problem. Sorry.

Irish folk buying vodka?  That's just wrong in and of itself.

In all seriousness, I'm very much an everything in moderation sort of person.  Even sometimes excess in moderation, if that makes any sense.  Of course, this is coming from someone who drinks on occasion but has never had a hangover, so...

10 hours ago, Nightbird said:

This is a relatively small one, but restaurants that have no spoons. Eating mashed potatoes with a spork makes it difficult to actually get to all the potatoes.

I think we have to agree to disagree. I almost never use spoons if I can avoid it. They're weird. :ph34r:

(Exceptions for, like, cereal, obviously. Because I haven't figured out how to eat that with a form yet.)

Being unable to find the song "Everytime We Touch" by searching my music library because properly, it should be "Every Time We Touch." :ph34r:

Also, random fact: this is my 1887th post, which is the year that the first Sherlock Holmes novel was originally published.

Edited by Nightbird

Dear Patrons, 

There are at least two librarians manning the desk at any given time. Is there any way you could ask someone who is not me to help you print once in a while? Yes, it's part of my job; and no, I don't mind it in moderation; but when it feels like I'm the only one who exists when you want someone to stand over your shoulder and point out every step on the screen in real time, it does not make me happy with how my day is going. 

So, maybe next time, could you walk four feet down the desk and ask someone else? Please? 

*goes to school library to renew book one so it can be read over Thanksgiving holiday*

*is almost done with book one, so the decision is made to check out book two as well*

*is puzzled as book two is nowhere to be found*

*goes to service desk to inquire after book two*

*waits patiently as librarian looks up book two in library directory*

*is confused due to the directory saying book two is in and on shelf*

*follows librarian as she gets up, looks at the shelf where book two is conspicuously missing, shrugs, sits back down*

*renews book one, gets book three, resigned*

*sighs and walks back to class*

3 minutes ago, bleeder said:

*goes to school library to renew book one so it can be read over Thanksgiving holiday*

*is almost done with book one, so the decision is made to check out book two as well*

*is puzzled as book two is nowhere to be found*

*goes to service desk to inquire after book two*

*waits patiently as librarian looks up book two in library directory*

*is confused due to the directory saying book two is in and on shelf*

*follows librarian as she gets up, looks at the shelf where book two is conspicuously missing, shrugs, sits back down*

*renews book one, gets book three, resigned*

*sighs and walks back to class*

This happens at my library with irritating regularity. Usually (in my department) with books high schoolers need for class; people will take them without checking them out properly, so the next patron gets false hope and disappointment. 

Use your library card. Don't be a barbarian. 

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

This happens at my library with irritating regularity. Usually (in my department) with books high schoolers need for class; people will take them without checking them out properly, so the next patron gets false hope and disappointment. 

Use your library card. Don't be a barbarian. 

I don't know why my high school library has (or had?) the entire Dresden Files series, but I enjoy it.

It would be cool to work at a library. 

This one's specific to Not Always Right. The original story will be about a terrible customer doing something awful, for example, a customer who comes in five minutes before close, shops for twenty minutes, and leaves the store a mess after insulting the employee for not being helpful. The comments section will look like this: 

OP should've TOLD the customer they were closing. 
Well, yeah. Some customers will do whatever they want if you don't tell them to leave. OP should've told the customer to leave BEFORE the doors were closed. 
Twenty minutes after close = twenty extra minutes worth of pay. Stop complaining.

And, my personal favorite….

Of course the customer complained. When a customer comes into a store, you are obligated to help them, no matter how late it is. 

Sometimes I wonder if the comments section is made up of the customers that employees go to NAR to complain about. <_< 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

This one's specific to Not Always Right. The original story will be about a terrible customer doing something awful, for example, a customer who comes in five minutes before close, shops for twenty minutes, and leaves the store a mess after insulting the employee for not being helpful. The comments section will look like this: 

OP should've TOLD the customer they were closing. 
Well, yeah. Some customers will do whatever they want if you don't tell them to leave. OP should've told the customer to leave BEFORE the doors were closed. 
Twenty minutes after close = twenty extra minutes worth of pay. Stop complaining.

And, my personal favorite….

Of course the customer complained. When a customer comes into a store, you are obligated to help them, no matter how late it is. 

Sometimes I wonder if the comments section is made up of the customers that employees go to NAR to complain about. <_< 

May I invoke the golden rule of the internet? Why are you reading comments? :)

7 minutes ago, Delightful said:

May I invoke the golden rule of the internet? Why are you reading comments? :)

Because some of them are equally as entertaining as the stories posted on the site. Only problem is, you've got to sift through a fair number of cremholes posting their two cents. 

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I got blocked for delivering a pretty clever burn. :ph34r: 

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

I thought that the golden rule was "90% of internet causes cancer"? ;)

That's a pretty good description of it, yeah. :P 

26 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Please do share :D

Well, one story ended with the OP bidding a customer goodbye with "Bye-bye." The commenter in question said, "Grownupz don't use bye-bye," followed by an insult like "Go back to school" or "you're too immature for that job." 

So I told him that "Grown-ups also don't use Z to denote plurals." 

When I returned an hour later, the comment was gone. As the site mods don't seem to delete comments, I'm left to assume that either the comment was deleted or I was blocked. 

I got six likes before it disappeared, though. :ph34r: 

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I thought that the golden rule was "90% of internet causes cancer"? ;)

No that's just a modification of Sturgeons law.

"90% of everything is crud."

Usually that is just the baseline, in general a higher percentage is crud, if you are lucky the remaining percent are amazing.