I'm ruined!

I had figured that my first post here would be regarding something like which Order is Lopen or something like that but no. I am ruined for other books! I finished Words of Radiance right after The Way of Kings and now I'm reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman and I can't even tell if it's a good book or not. The Stormlight Archive is an HD-technicolor-kaleidoscopic-and-many-other-adjectives piece of awesomeness. Other things are going to seem very gray for a while.

Don't worry. This community is pretty soft on new members. While I myself lurked the Shard until I got my hang on things, I don't believe any of us will judge you for being inexperienced.

Plus, it is fun to know what people think before reading the main theories and recent Words of Brandon.

The same thing happens to me. I can't figure out what I want to read lately. The Wheel of Time also fits into my pattern of reading my favorites, then not wanting to read anything else. Have you read the other Cosmere books?

I thought about exactly that! Cleansing the palette. But then how would I do that? Not read!? Absurd! LoL. Maybe do a re-read of something. But I have to read something every day. As I'm sure most here understand.

I feel I am doing other books - and myself - a disservice if I start them too soon after a Brandon one. I would rather engage in some other activities than risk disliking a book I could potentially like had I read it another time.

No, I haven't read any of his other books. In fact, I haven't been reading much Fantasy at all in quite some time. Except for A Song of Ice and Fire which I've read three times. A confluence of things have brought me back. Mostly my favorite high-school English teacher who is my friend on Facebook. He recommended The Way of Kings and some others and then gave me some books including the first three Wheel of Time books, Codex Alera, some Stirling and Sixty-one Nails by Mike Shevden. When he recommended those books he didn't have to loan me I put a bunch on hold then started reading The Eye of the World. I got to the part where they are separated and the Gleeman is protecting the boys so they can run. At which point ALL the books I put on hold came in! So now I'm trying to hammer through them to get back to that. But with as unutterably good as the Stormlight Archive is, you can guarantee I will be getting to his other books!

You're absolutely correct, sir. I agree. Except the "other activities" thing. Hehe! That's why I figured re-reads. I am certain that it is a disservice. I started Oryx and Crake and wasn't feeling it at all. So I stopped and eventually came back and ended up liking that series quite a bit. I knew I wasn't in the right place for it at first. So it is definitely worth giving a book a chance against something like the SA by not reading it too soon after.

I like searching the Coppermind ... That sounds like an advertisement. 

Sometimes, when I just need something short and strange, I visit gutenberg.org, a collection of etexts and things in the public domain. Search "astounding" into the search bar. There are a bunch of magazine things published in the 1930s filled with stories. The stories are mostly very science-fiction-y, like traveling to Venus where there are perfect people living in a perfect society to stamp out a giant breed of mosquito that are sucking people's blood. And it's all set in the mid 1900s. They're great, mostly clean, and very colorful. :)

I like the one labeled "From the Ocean's Depths" here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29607/29607-h/29607-h.htmIt has a sequel somewhere else. It's strange, but what else from there isn't? Beware though - the vocabulary can get a little tough occasionally.

Good luck with your quest. That's one of the worst things about reading Sanderson. You can't stop.

I'm like this kind of all the time. I have trouble picking up anything that isn't superb. Between Sanderson, Rothfuss, Butcher, and Erickson almost nothing else holds a candle. I can manage a few series of lesser caliber it isn't easy.

And nothing has the raw vibrant almost Miyazakiesque imagery of the Stormlight Archive. Every author has their thing, but as a Synesthetic I crave those colors on a visceral level. Cold and light in fiction make them feel more real due to the quirks in my brain. As I'm sure people will notice if I ever get published.

I didn't like Night Angel all that much. The First book is pretty good, but the second book isn't nearly as good, and the third one squeezes in and rushed through a ton of information that should have warranted a whole other volume. Lightbringer, on the other hand, is really good and very much in the vein of what Sanderson does. I haven't read the other series you mention. I'll have to check them out.

I'll add my vote for the Lightbringer and Kingkiller. And anything by Jim Butcher.

Maybe I'll try to get back into Iron Druid at some point. Read the first one and liked it, then didn't get into the second one for some reason.

But yeah most fantasy is hard to get into after reading Sanderson and some of these others.

The funny thing is I have read like 50 fantasy books all because Game of Thrones is taking forever.  I read the Wheel of Time and was like wow GoT is not that good.  Read Sanderson and that only strengthened my contempt! 

I have read Staveyl(Emperor's blades trilogy), Anthony Ryan (Bloodsong trilogy), Rothfuss(name of the wind trilogy) and Django Wexler (this is a flintlock fantasy, magic and guns) which are all pretty entertaining.  

Wheel of Time is also highly recommended but very very long.  The others I listed above are shorter.  Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles seems to be the one that is most universally praised.

Sanderson is the best world builder/magic system creator there is.  If you are deciated go for Wheel of Time but at the rate Brandon publishes books you may find yourself setting them aside for his newest one.  So try one of the shorter trilogies Ilsited if that will be a problem for you.

I find that switching genres is the best way to "cleanse you palette".  

For anyone looking for something to read until Bands of Mourning comes out...I just finished the Nexus trilogy by Ramez Naam...it was pretty good...action packed cyber punk scifi...if you really want to get into something totally different than Sanderson try Haruki Marukami.

"So...I just finished reading "Wind up Bird Chronicle".  - "Really?  How was it?" -  "Really good.  Marukami is a great writer." - "So...what's the story about?" - "I have absolutely no idea! But it was amazing!"

I have the problem that I'm running out of good high fantasy books at the bookstores. Basically, most high fantasy is either written with a very strong black-white scheme (like the "post-tolkienenians" or the late Terry Goodkind books) or working with very dubious main characters (I'm not talking about characters with dark sides, I talk about characters whose most sides are dark). Also, most worlds and magic systems resemble each other to the point it almost pains me.

I have the problem that I'm running out of good high fantasy books at the bookstores. Basically, most high fantasy is either written with a very strong black-white scheme (like the "post-tolkienenians" or the late Terry Goodkind books) or working with very dubious main characters (I'm not talking about characters with dark sides, I talk about characters whose most sides are dark).

True. Still, Sanderson is guilty of having mostly clear-cut good/evil in his stories, even if not as much as others. I myself prefer the idea of mostly good or decent people becoming enemies by force of circunstance.

I find that switching genres is the best way to "cleanse you palette".  

For anyone looking for something to read until Bands of Mourning comes out...I just finished the Nexus trilogy by Ramez Naam...it was pretty good...action packed cyber punk scifi...if you really want to get into something totally different than Sanderson try Haruki Marukami.

"So...I just finished reading "Wind up Bird Chronicle".  - "Really?  How was it?" -  "Really good.  Marukami is a great writer." - "So...what's the story about?" - "I have absolutely no idea! But it was amazing!"

I've only read Kafka on the Shore, but this so much, it is a fantastic book, but I have no idea what it was about.

Also, Lightbringer, I am reading The Black Prism at the moment, I like it, a lot.

Thanks to everybody for their input. You've added to my known reading list. My reading list ultimately encompasses everything so I split it. Hehe. For my part I can tell you all to never bother with The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Ugh. Horrible! I moved on to The Lies of Locke Lamora and that is quite enjoyable. Haruki Murakami is wonderful. I've read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and about six others of his and what is said here is totally accurate. I don't know what any of them were about save for perhaps 1Q84.

I actually liked The Magicians series but yeah nothing in the Sanderson caliber. I have this problem too after finishing Shadows of Self I was like ok now what. I am currently reading WoT and it is pretty good but I find I need a little break between the books. I usually switch to Sci-Fi just re-read The Martian and Ready Player One. One huge advantage though is you can expect something from Sanderson at least every 6 months or so. Check out the Mistborn books! 

Also one I haven't seen mentioned yet  I liked a lot was the Powder Mage books by Brian McClellan who just happened to be a former student of Brandon. 

I just read The Martian and Ready Player One in the last month or so. I'm the same age as Ernest Cline so RPO was a total wayback machine for me. I loved it. Now I'm watching all the movies and reliving the 80s. I'm thinking that I'm just going to tackle Brandon Sanderson chronologically the way I do every author. I will have read his oeuvre by this time next year. Thanks for the recommendation!