Death and Life

lordofsoup

I was wondering if a synonym for Ruin would be Death and a synonym for Preservation would be Life. I was thinking this because Ruin talks about destruction as a part of life. If only Preservation ruled alone, nothing would ever change or die. It would be permanent life with no end and nothing would ever change.

Just curious, posted on facebook and it didn't get answered, not that I really expected it, but had to try.

Preservation is all about keeping the current balance so he can't create life if no life exists because that would be breaking the nature of his shard. So they aren't really synonyms. Plus almost all life goes through some kind of change, which is also contrary to Preservation's nature.

I agree with everyone, so let me take a slightly different take.

From a cosmere point of view, it's dangerous to think of Ruin and Preservation as synonyms for anything, in my opinion. Those names are the Shard's Intent. It is what that force wants to do. Ruin is Ruin, nothing more, nothing less. There is a deep cosmological significance to those names. That's why I care so much that we have other Shard names correct.

So, I find it more than a little dangerous to be thinking of these Shards as anything other than Ruin and Preservation.

• Chaos locked this topic