WoK crem = Elantris slime?

Mike

I was just pondering the nature of crem the other day (like you haven't...) and I was wondering if it may be related to the Elantrian slime. I forget what that stuff was exactly, but wasn't it related to some magic occurring, but with the Dor mostly not working, it all died? I think of it as some decaying bits of Skai... Anyway, what if the crem is like that, being nasty deposits of Almighty-flesh being dumped out during the highstorms. Any thoughts?

It's possible, but I got the idea that Elantris-slime was caused by dead microorganisms (they shone when the magic was strong, but died and turned to the slime when it wasn't) whereas the crem was a more inorganic thing, like clay dissolved into the rainwater. I find it hard to believe that two pieces of the same original shard would vary so much when shattered themselves...

I was just pondering the nature of crem the other day (like you haven't...) and I was wondering if it may be related to the Elantrian slime. I forget what that stuff was exactly, but wasn't it related to some magic occurring, but with the Dor mostly not working, it all died? I think of it as some decaying bits of Skai... Anyway, what if the crem is like that, being nasty deposits of Almighty-flesh being dumped out during the highstorms. Any thoughts?

IIRC, the slime was a fungus that fed off of light/energy or something that the elantrians gave off. When they became zombified, they stopped doing this, the fungus started dying (and expanding/festering)

Now, that's not to say the crem isn't somehow related, but I would think that it's likely somehow a bit different than the slime

IIRC, the slime was a fungus that fed off of light/energy or something that the elantrians gave off. When they became zombified, they stopped doing this, the fungus started dying (and expanding/festering)

Now, that's not to say the crem isn't somehow related, but I would think that it's likely somehow a bit different than the slime

IIRC, in the deleted scene from Elantris (posted at Brandon's website) the glow was originally supposed to be from Seons that reproduced (and somehow became really small in the process; how this relates to the overarching cosmology is vague, to say the least). Most of that scene, however, was developing a "magical" way for Dilaf to be defeated in the end---a way that was really, really anti-climatic and inappropriate and which was dropped for very good reason. In the rewrite, it became the fungus.

Note that I have no idea what this means for the theorizing we are doing here. Just something I thought should be brought up. Fortunately this little tidbit isn't canon, so we are as free to ignore it as Brandon is :).

• Chaos locked this topic