What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

@Condensation

It's enjoyable enough. Music is a good part of the structure (though it's not a musical) and the designs of the characters are fun and colorful. 

It's at its strongest when it is worldbuilding, when it seems to me like an American Ghibli production. 

But it does have a plot which, though fine, is far more grounded than the fanciful world this takes place in. 

1 hour ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

@Condensation

It's enjoyable enough. Music is a good part of the structure (though it's not a musical) and the designs of the characters are fun and colorful. 

It's at its strongest when it is worldbuilding, when it seems to me like an American Ghibli production. 

But it does have a plot which, though fine, is far more grounded than the fanciful world this takes place in. 

Okay, thanks. That does sound good.

I finished Agents of Shield and Happy Endings this week. Maybe it's time to finish up Daredevil too. But honestly, I'd like something a little lighter first.

I need a new comedy - at some point or another I've already watched Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Community, Parks & Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Black-ish, and now Happy Endings. (Being completely honest, outside of Black-ish and Friends, I started and finished the above list this year.) I could try The Big Band Theory, but I only find that funny in tiny YouTube clips. I don't actually care about the characters. So...yeah. Maybe I'll try New Girl, but from what I've seen it doesn't look that funny either. Things like Fresh Off the Boat, Modern Family, and Meet the Goldbergs are also choices, but I haven't resonated with what I've seen of them either. FOTB has some really funny moments though, but that's because Constance Wu and Randall Park are hilarious. If I want to see Constance Wu, I'll re-watch Crazy Rich Asians...which I really need to do at some point. 

Happy Endings ended...happy...but it felt very unresolved. I think it needed one more season. That's not to say I really enjoyed the show, but it was distracting, and that's exactly what the doctor ordered this year. 

Agents of Shield's final season was good and kept the momentum that Season 5 & 6 started. It never fully reached the heights of Seasons 2 & 4, but "The Excellent Adventures of Mack and The D" is a series highlight. Overall it was a bittersweet ending, but hopefully not a final goodbye for all of them. It'd be easy for characters like Mack, May, Skye, and Yo-Yo to pop up again in a Disney+ show as supporting characters for something else. 

Between a socially distanced outdoor brunch, making curry in record time, a nap, and finishing up multiple group projects, I started Stargirl this evening and I like it so far! The production value is still television level, but it's definitely a higher quality than what CW superhero shows usually have. Or maybe it's the directing. It feels more...cinematic, for lack of a better word. 

The setting of the show is modern, but the atmosphere is closer to the 1960s & '70s so it's more in line with the Silver Age of comics. This is fitting for two reasons. First is that the Golden Age has passed in-world, so now it's time for the Silver Age. Second is that the Silver Age "ended" in the 1980s with Crisis On Infinity Earths. But this time around, the CW's own Crisis On Infinite Earth's storyline starts the Silver Age. 

I'm really liking where the story is going too. Stargirl is recruiting her allies at this point, and it sort of reminds me of certain Power Rangers season, but a slower burn. The tone of the show so far is more like Shazam and MCU Spider-Man, and Into the Spider-Verse in a lot of ways. The main character, Courtney Whitmore, is a girl who knows she has powers and is so sure of status as a legacy character. She's up for the adventure, even if her allies aren't as sure. I'm sure this will be subverted later on...in fact, I'm almost positive it will be, because I may have spoiled myself on certain aspects of that. But for now, I'm enjoying the ride. 

I do wonder if this will cross over with other DC-CW shows, but I sort of doubt it. Keeping them separate for the time being is probably for the best. Supergirl is ending, Batwoman needs to refind its footing, I'm pretty sure Flash and Legends are on their last legs, and I have no idea what's happening in Black Lightning right now. (And Black Lightning's crossover with the rest of the DC-CW shows was honestly a bit of a letdown. Jefferson Pierce should have talked with Oliver Queen and Joe West about the nature of fatherhood, and how scary it is not only being a dad, but being the father of vigilantes/superheroes. (Barry may be able to weigh in on this topic, but I'd rather he not right now.))

Overall is another fun DC show that reminds me more of Shazam than what CW shows usually are (no love triangle, better - but still bad - graphics, and semi-decent acting!). If you like those things, go for it.   

(Also I had a silly thought that PS4/PS5 Spider-Man's Miles Morales and Courtney somehow end up dating for a time, and it just becomes this running gag that like how nearly every version of Peter falls in love with Mary Jane, every version of Miles falls in love with a Blonde (be it dyed or natural). Spider-Verse Miles and Gwen, PS5 Miles and Courtney...yeah, it's silly, but it was fun.) 

I watched the first three episodes of My Hero Academia last night, and I was thoroughly impressed, having never seriously watched any anime before. All Might might be one of my favorite characters ever. I want to keep watching, any general advice before I sell my soul?

Just now, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I watched the first three episodes of My Hero Academia last night, and I was thoroughly impressed, having never seriously watched any anime before. All Might might be one of my favorite characters ever. I want to keep watching, any general advice before I sell my soul?

Nothing other than to consider reading the Vigilante's manga series before Season 4 starts. There is some really important backstory for a certain character in Vigilante's that is fairly important for something in Season 4 and it will come out of nowhere if you don't read it beforehand (unless they take the backstory in Vigilante's and put it in the main story which I doubt they'll do)

Finally got around to finishing Kipo.

First season is by far the strongest, but that's because it's best when it is exploring and discovering the world it's set in. 

And since season 3 is about resolving the series conflict, it's a bit weaker in my opining. 

The resolution IS good, just to be clear. It's pretty satisfying. 

I've been watching the new Mandalorian episodes that come out every week, but I've also been rewatching random episodes of Cowboy Bebop. It's so strange because Cowboy Bebop is a show that I originally thought I was conflicted about, but now I'm weirdly addicted and keep coming back to it. I'm appreciating it a lot more than I did on my first watch through, and I'm glad I've been watching it again because the characters have grown on me so much. It also might be possible that I like it a lot more just because I'm in the perfect mood for shows about space bounty hunters :P

4 hours ago, TheWard'sGuard said:

Well, I just started the first season of She-Ra on Netflix, can't wait to see how this goes.

Reveal hidden contents

Am I the only one who thinks that Lord Hordak looked more intimidating as a silhouette?

YESSS SHE-RA IS THE BEST! It’s my favorite series ever!! totally not because of Catra :ph34r:

Yes, I totally agree! Shadow Weaver is more intimidating, than him

Edited by EmiTheNinja