What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

16 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Was it any good?  I've seen trailers and clips, and I'm a bit skeptical.

My mother and I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as we do the 1990s Brandy version. My mentor teacher however turned it off after about ten minutes. I don't think it's bad, but it's not necessarily good or great either.  The CGI mice are atrocious though. Like, SO BAD. Idina's singing is great, and Camilla Cabello's "Ella" is sufficiently different enough in characterization and motivation to make her stand out amongst her peers. I'll probably post a longer review later, and I'll let you know when it's done. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Foundation on Apple TV Plus.  I'm liking a lot of how they're expanding the world, the visuals are gorgeous, the hair, costumes, and music are all good.  Not as much a fan of some of the early character and plot work, but it's only been two episodes, so it might get better.  

Spoiler

I am worried that I won't get to watch it if they keep adding the spicy romance stuff.  Plus, it doesn't really need to be there...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Movies I've watched since the last update - just assume that if it came out this year or otherwise specified, it's new for me. 

Ran (1985) - 10/10

The Suicide Squad (2021) - 8/10

27 Dresses (2008) - Old movie for me - 2/10

Cinderella (1997) - Old movie for me - 9/10

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) - 7.5/10 with a post-credit scene that bumps it up to an 8/10

007: No Time To Die (2021) - 8.5/10

The Assassin (2015) - 6/10

Gate of Hell (1953) - 7/10

Dune (1984) - 8/10

Dune (2021) - 8.5-9/10

Batman Returns (1992) - I remember parts of it, but I can't remember ever watching the entire movie - 8.5/10. 

Been watching a horror movie a week for the last four weeks because of obvious reasons and 3 and a half of them I hadn't seen.

The Babadook. This is the half in 3 and a half. Watched it years ago (around the year it released, I think) but my English was terrible and it didn't have subtitles. Now that I see it properly it's amazing. It's creepy. One of those cases where you see so many red flags for the main characters that you can't help but think the monster is the least of their problems, even after the credits roll. Even so, I kinda root for them. Like, at times it seems the movie wants you to believe they don't deserve a drop of kindness, but each of them whenever you see them without certain, influences, you can see how much they care about each other. I love it.

Santa Sangre (or Holy Blood). Didn't know what to expect from a NC-17 movie, but it was actually pretty tame, the rating is probably a thing of its time. It was, adorable somehow? Yeah, there's blood (duh) and it has its fair share of murder, but the characterization is so good, I ended up attached to the person doing the killing, and to a girl with very little screentime whose only main method of communication is simply smiling, but it works so well. And the central theme is so good. You would watch the first ten minutes or so and believe the symbol they chose to give the movie its title (it's so hard not to spoil this) is only a cheap way to get creepy points. But then it carries on throughout the whole plot leading up to the last line, which honestly makes the movie twice as good as soon as it's said. This is a new favorite of mine.

Let the Right One In. Been meaning to watch this since forever. It's probably the best vampire movie I've ever seen. Look, I love Interview with the Vampire, and I can enjoy Twilight, but there's something about removing the politics and the lore. Like there's always a secret society between vampires, or a gang at least, or some ancient being behind all of them. It's great, I live for that stuff. But then there's this. It was simply "Look, that person starves if she doesn't drink blood. We made a movie about how hard it is to live like that" and it's great, it's such a personal story, and all the more scarier than the alternative too. No explanations, you just see enough interactions to make your own conclusions, and the difficulties it brings for her and anyone that associates with her.

The VVitch. This has to be the scariest one out of the four. I have to commend a movie that manages to make me distrust literal children. It's so dark though, I had to turn off the lights so that the background was even darker and I could actually see (usually it's the opposite, I don't like watching screens in the dark because everything is so bright it's torture for my eyes, but this one felt just right). But yeah, this is one where I feel like the main idea was to make a simple representation of what people believed back then, how they lived, and what would happen if everything they fear was more than just stories. There's so much distrust, so much trauma too. I never know if what I'm watching is actually happening, or if a character in their grief and faith has started seeing things. This one just kept me guessing all the way through and none of the options were ever good. It comes to a point where I was just thinking I'd settle for a single character surviving.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Eternals tonight. I have a lot of complex feelings on it, but not because of things people may originally assume. This movie is more akin to a Snyder DC movie than a Marvel one, with both the good and the bad. It's acted well, but put together awkwardly by sheer value of the story told, and I didn't really connect with the characters. The one character I did connect with had offensively short screen-time, so that didn't help. This movie will be controversial for Marvel at best (and seeing some of the reports, it already is), or loathed at worst. It was a risk in a year where Marvel took a LOT of risks (first three live action D+ shows, two of which covered heavy topics; a theater/Disney+ combo movie release that landed them in some hot water; and their first Asian-American leading movie). I'm not sure how Marvel will feel about it, but I think the director and franchise is worth keeping around, as they have diversified the MCU in far more than one way. 

Eternals feels similar to Star Wars: The Last Jedi to me - it will challenge people who don't want or like to be challenged, and it won't go the way people think. But ultimately, I think that's for the best for the franchise and the brand. 

Although give me a couple of days, and I may change my mind. 

Did a bit of a rewatch on Pirates of the Caribbean. The original trilogy remains among my favorite movies and I really wish an expanded universe had come out of it. The amount of characters and mythology introduced in the third one left me wishing for more. Books, games, and stuff. But they were discarded just like that sadly. 

On Strange Tides is fun. It ignores the previous ones but that means it doesn't mess with them either. It's not too memorable but it's good popcorn material and I like to rewatch it from time to time. 

Dead Men Tell No Tales is also a fun watch... It would be a lot more enjoyable if it didn't put so much effort into rewriting the first three. Will and Elizabeth had the most amazing ending one could have wished for so that this movie can deny it happened and instead pretends they failed. All so that the kid can have an adventure. There are better ways to involve the kid with pirates without retconning stuff. And then there's the post-credits scene. That... happened I guess. I'm sure they'll come up with something (if they don't decide to just not use it) but right off the bat it would not only retcon even more stuff from the first three, but it also contradicts the movie it belongs to. I don't know, it just feels lazy. I'm just hoping for a reboot at this point. The series has potential and clearly Verbinsky knew it. The ones after are just using the name and Depp without the care involved. 

binge watching half of Season 10 of Walking Dead on Netflix

then for regular stuff for DVD and blu ray 

DVDs

X-File Season 3

Robotech Second Macross Saga 

Fast and the Furious 4 to 9. alot to catch up on

Booksmart

for blu ray. regular blu ray and also 4K blu ray

Halloween's Extended Edition from the new 4K Blu ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Demon Slayer season 1. It was fun, I like how Ufotable handled character designs here. Also the visuals for magic (if it is indeed magic) were awesome. The aesthetic is really cool, I love the main four, the pillars sure know how to make a terrible first impression but they'll probably grow on me eventually. On to the movie.

2 hours ago, mentally ill said:

burn notice looks really interesting

It's a fun show!!

My Top 10 Movies First Watched In 2021:

Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

Ran (1985)

Sword of the Beast (1965)

F9: The Fast Saga (2021)

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

The Magnificent Seven* (1960)

Dune (2021)

Zack Synder’s Justice League (2021)

Jaws* (1975)

Spider-Man: No Way Home

Runner-ups:

In the Heights (2021)

Seven Days in May (1964)

Dune (1984)

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019)

Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning (2021)

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)

Top Shows First Watched in 2021:

Modern Family

WandaVision

Falcon & the Winter Soldier

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Final Season

Hawkeye

Superman & Lois

Watched Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings with my siblings.  We all enjoyed it.  My mom actually came in and watched the second hour, and upon realizing who the villain was, said in surprise 'that's the bad guy?  He looks like a nice man.'  I think that this is hilarious, and also I see exactly where she's coming from, and if it was a surprise reveal, I would have been shocked.

• 2 weeks later...