Was the whole "not feeling pain" thing Miles's perk?

kroen

its probably not that he doesn't feel pain, its just that pain is now meaningless to him. he's been injured so many times that he has the mindset where pain doesn't bother him.

either that or he heals so quickly that he doesn't have time to feel pain.

He probably felt a ton of pain due to his definitely not risk free job, being a layman. Wax mentions that he took a shotgun to the face once, and that's unimaginable pain. It was probably due to this pain he felt every injury that turned him mad, maybe.

you may not be able to stop feeling pain, but you can get so used to it, you don't notice it.  Same with any feeling.

How aware of your tongue are you?  You get used to its feeling, and forget about it.

Again, that's not how pain works in our world. There are people who have migraines for years and the 1000th migraine is that as painful as the first one. And we've no indication that pain works differently on Scardial.

Edited by kroen

good point on that account.  One of the biggest issues is that we don't have many accounts of people suffering gunshot wounds over and over and over again.  Miles did.

Maybe he found a mental exercise to help block out the pain?

Edit: could well be thats a perk of the condition though.  I only know of this universe from alloy of law, and shadows of self.

Edited by mattig89ch

It could also be something to do with how magic works in the Cosmere, specifically with the perception of the magic by the user.  Other healing magics only heal what the person "thinks" they should be able to heal.  Perhaps Miles thought that after being hurt to often that his pain centers should be damaged, and the next time they were the pain centers didn't grow back correctly. 

Pewter savants stop feeling pain. I suspect Miles has a similar thing going on, since he's continually taking in health. But it's not inconceivable that it's a perk. We don't really know what those are/do. Didn't Miles used to feel pain? Do you always have your perk, or do you only get it after using your powers enough?

Questions, questions...

Again, that's not how pain works in our world. There are people who have migraines for years and the 1000th migraine is that as painful as the first one. And we've no indication that pain works differently on Scardial.

but you get used to having them.

Double gold perk is that he can heal so fast that he can take immediately lethal shots(like to the face) without dying

That's just compounding, not a perk.

is there a direct quote? we might want to make sure. 

if I remember correctly, gold compounding would only give lots and lots of health. it wouldnt matter how much health was stored up, a shotgun blast point blank to waynes head would kill him.

But I might be wrong. or misquoting. 

Rusts, compounding has nothing to do with that inherently either. A normal gold ferring can achieve this with enough storage of health and tapping at massive quantities quickly as they are shot in the face. It's just not as feasible for a ferring to have that much health saved up compared to a gold compounder twinborn.

As long as enough of the brain is left to maintain the compounding and they aren't instantly dead from something like a shardblade they should still be able to heal (and even then if fast enough external sources of healing like regrowth can save you from shardblade death, if you can get yourself someone so kind. No metallic art we know could do it though).

Edited by natc

Alloy has a number of references to Miles feeling pain in the past, but he grew past it. Here's one:

One took Miles on the cheek, ripping skin. The cut regrew itself immediately. No pain. He only faintly remembered what pain felt like.

So if it was a perk, you aren't born with the perk and it needs time to manifest itself.

Well, I'm going through the alloy of law again, and I just came across a bit about Miles' abilities.  The quote is something very close to "He didn't feel cold, and didn't feel pain".  This is just after Mr. Suit assigns the two known as push and pull to Miles' crew, and right before he leaps down into the pit where its men are setting up the machine for robbing cars, and his leg tries to break on impact.  So its a part of that super healing ability of his.

You were mostly right kroen.  Its not a perk of his abilities, so much as it is part of his abilities.

You were mostly right kroen.  Its not a perk of his abilities, so much as it is part of his abilities.

We don't know that for sure, though, which is kroen's point. Bloodmakers like Wayne might feel pain even while tapping from their goldminds, and we just don't have enough PoVs to know for sure.

I am more than willing to believe that you can be a Savant in compounding gold. Because Pewter Savants already don't feel pain so that takes the least assumptions to be accurate. Becoming a savant just needs you to holding a lot of investiture consistently, like Miles does with Ferochemic gold. Occram's razor and all that.

Which makes you wonder what the perk might be if not that. Probably a good question to ask at an event since it's unlikely to get RAFO'd (unless Brandon's planning to have another gold compounder in a later book) and might give us a better idea of how these perks work.

I wonder if Brandon has a list somewhere of all the possible combinations, or at least all of the really interesting ones that he might want to bring up over the course of the series. So many possibilities...