The third magic system

Oversleep

so what, stormform is just some starting form to kick off Voidbinding? First you merge with stormspren to achieve stormform to summon Everstorm which carries enough of Odium's Investiture to make proper ten types of voidspren?

Because it doesn't make sense otherwise. Stormform granted ability to shoot (em... cast? what is the verb?) lightnings. If that's not Voidbringer form... Generating lightning bolts is just some offshoot of summoning the storm?

so what, stormform is just some starting form to kick off Voidbinding? First you merge with stormspren to achieve stormform to summon Everstorm which carries enough of Odium's Investiture to make proper ten types of voidspren?

Because it doesn't make sense otherwise. Stormform granted ability to shoot (em... cast? what is the verb?) lightnings. If that's not Voidbringer form... Generating lightning bolts is just some offshoot of summoning the storm?

Voidbringer forms are just listener forms of power. What I am saying is that "voidbinding" is a more specific magic system that is not directly linked to listener forms, which I believe Brandon didn't consider a magic system when he answered there are only 3/30 magic systems on Roshar

The Everstorm is new, though. We don't know how it happened in the past, though Jasnah does I think, but the Everstorm didn't transform the Parshendi in previous desolations.

jW

Surge fabricals being the 3rd system seems too similar to the radiant system. I think the WoB is a trick, it says that a "part" of it fabricals, not that it "is" fabricals. The third system could involve fabricals that let someone create some kind of bond with the trapped spren.

Also can you have a magic system that is fully "mechanized", i.e. doesn't need a sentient user. The "fabricals" in mistborn aren't their own system, so the surge fabricals probably aren't as well.

Edited by Fallen Rope

I personally, don't want Eshonai to become a KR and I don't think that she will become a KR.

From previous books, we know that not every main character of Sanderson is almighty magical and invested. Think about it, we have 5 champions so far, mentioned in the 'prophecies' - The Assassin, The Surgeon, The Warlord, The Explorer and The Thief. (let's just ignore all the other more obvious characters like Jasnah, Renarin, Lift, Elhokar and so on..)

3 out of 5 already are moving fast at becoming full KRs. Szeth might or may not become one, but he's using Nightblood. Eshonai should simply remain a Listener and discover other forms of power unrelated to their evil gods or something like that. Main point is - too many KRs is something I am sure that Brandon will not do. What he does best is diversity.

We need Listeners, soldiers, duelists :P, Nightblood <3, etc.. who should learn to fight their own unique ways... too many KRs viewpoints feels boring right to me... :)

I was thinking about this earlier this morning when listening to the WoK interludes with the people measuring spren (Sorry, since it's the audio book, I don't have references).  They proved that if you measure a spren and record the size, they are "locked" that way.  I'm guessing this would have something to do with this sort of fabrial.  If you can lock it's size, could you lock other things about it?  If instead of erasing the measuments as they did in the story, what if you changed them?  Would the spren change too?  This might very well be the key to the fabrial construction for newer/better shard items.

You know, I've been wondering. Are the Shardblades unable to change size because they're dead, or because their measurements, shape, and appearance are all perfectly described in tons of books?

You know, I've been wondering. Are the Shardblades unable to change size because they're dead, or because their measurements, shape, and appearance are all perfectly described in tons of books?

I believe Shardblades and Shardplate can change. But the change is much much much much much slower.

I believe Shardblades and Shardplate can change. But the change is much much much much much slower.

But if they're spren, CAN they change with their measurements observed and recorded?

EDIT: Pattern was fixed when Shallan drew him, right? Does that mean if someone (like, say, Shallan) draws Syl, she'll be stuck in whatever form she's in at the time? The implications for Fabrial Science (aka Direct Spren Manipulation) are super interesting!

I really want to know how the Fabrial Science system works. I'm betting it'll involve circuit diagrams. If the image in the back of WoR is a diagram for the Fabrial Science system (and not Voidbringing), then the lightning bolts between the glyphs could represent magical current and how it flows :D

Edited by Nyali

• Chaos locked this topic