Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

James turns 42 in slightly less than three weeks.

Clearly this calls for a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy themed birthday party.  Imma make Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters and see if I can find a bakery that will decorate a cake to look like a neatly folded towel.

James turns 42 in slightly less than three weeks.

Clearly this calls for a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy themed birthday party. Imma make Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters and see if I can find a bakery that will decorate a cake to look like a neatly folded towel.

If that's a bust, you could always have them write "Don't Panic" across the top in large, friendly letters. Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Buffy: 

Is there a world record for the number of times a vampire can gain and subsequently lose his soul? 

Because I think Angel would win. 

I mean, not that there's much of a contest, but the number of times he's lost his soul is still impressive. Not quite once an episode, but definitely once a season.

Buffy: 

Is there a world record for the number of times a vampire can gain and subsequently lose his soul? 

I mean, not that there's much of a contest, but the number of times he's lost his soul is still impressive. Not quite once an episode, but definitely once a season.

Keep watching.

Tarantino's fascination with racial slurs is annoying, and lately his films have gotten bizarrely fascistic.

Reservoir Dogs is solid.

Pulp Fiction's worth a watch, but meh.

I haven't seen Jackie Brown, but the occasional film nut has told me it's his best.

Kill Bill hasn't aged well, but if you haven't seen much kung fu, wuxia, or Shaw Brothers films, it's a good intro.

Death Proof, Inglourious Basterds, and Django Unchained are all garbage.

Haven't bothered with Hateful Eight.

Care to explain? I've seen many things thrown at Tarantino, but "fascistic" is a new one.

Also, the notion about fascination with racial slurs is a very interesting one. Given that his films are packed with various curse words... What's so special about racial slurs?

Care to explain? I've seen many things thrown at Tarantino, but "fascistic" is a new one.

Also, the notion about fascination with racial slurs is a very interesting one. Given that his films are packed with various curse words... What's so special about racial slurs?

He's had a run of three revenge movies in a row where, basically, all is permitted because the villain is considered subhuman.

Spoilers for violence?  I guess?  A discussion of Tarantino is kinda way outside what we're used to here.

It starts with the end of Death Proof - that last foot stomp into the head.  That whole movie had violence that crossed over into the really uncomfortably realistic (like the passengers' legs and faces in the crash at the beginning), but the last shot is meant as both a victory cheer (since they literally do) and as a punchline (the way it's edited with the credits).

Then the whole premise of Inglorious Basterds is fighting fascism with fascism.  Torturing and branding prisoners in war is recognized as a crime today, but in the WW2 era it was beyond the pale.  The default mode for war hadn't yet become asymmetrical, ruleless guerilla warfare.  But here are not spies, but an actual group of soldiers on an official mission of torture, mayhem, and assassination.  The Nazis are the easiest bad guys to get away with this with, as we know from many film and video game escapades.  Alongside their plotline, there's the much more compelling personal revenge story of Shoshanna, actually well-told and reasonable.  Then at the end, as her revenge is already the one that works, the Basterds are simply there to machine gun Hitler in the head until his skull caves in in a shot that disturbingly resembles actual mutilation seen in crime scene photos, war footage, etc.  Tarantino makes sure as well to have a shot of Eli Roth that explicitly mirrors the machine-gunning-with-rage-face shot of the Nazi propaganda picture that was playing in the theater.

There's traditionally been a view going back to antiquity that war is separate from mass murder.  There are rules and traditions in place so that it's set aside as something else - forces having uniforms, not attacking civilians, not attacking Red Cross vans, not feigning surrender or pretending to be enemy soldiers in battle.  These have all been violated countless times throughout history, but the way societies accept war as a concept, it's meant as a straight-up fight between professional combatants who are there to do their combat with each other until one side's leaders accept defeat.  The ethics Tarantino frames as something to root for here are instead simply advocating for demolishing everything and embracing this being murder.  This is a pro-war-crime film, but it's considered okay because they picked the most cartoonishly evil villains to come from actual recent history.

And then comes Django Unchained, where slavery could have been ended by Lone Avengers just killing people to restructure society.  In the cause of abolition, many tried, but that's not how social changes happen.  An economic institution around which an entire society is based is only overthrown by mass action.  If this film's hero's approach was applied to real life, it'd just be the rationale of - well, take your pick.  Loads of terrorists and just simple serial killers had such motivations.  But this is more a pastiche of Westerns, blaxploitation (the lead and his wife are implied to be the ancestors of Shaft), Roman gladiators, and bizarrely the German myth of Siegfried.  Tarantino doesn't care about the logic he's applying to a real-life horror by using it as a backdrop.

Disregarding consequence and morality and simply killing and terrorizing your enemies to get your way is fascistic.  Plain and simple.  In his earlier movies where it was criminals and villains killing each other this wasn't connected to reality yet.  But World War II and American slavery?  This starts to actually advocate real things.  What it advocates is "Yeah!  Dirty war.  There are no rules.  Kill stuff 'till it's over."

And curse words don't kill and subjugate people en masse.  That's the difference.

Today this terrible and enlightening revelation fell upon my mind in its full abstract glory, while I was doing a calculus test:

You are only doing it right if after staring long enough at the numbers and formulae, you feel things staring back. If I had choosen the path of a mathematician, I am sure I would be able to hear them whisper by now.

EDIT: no, I am not on drugs, and I am also not that sleep deprived. I've just found the truth.

I believe some people summoned me to answer this. I do read this thread rather religiously if I am online. Sometimes I just don't have time to respond.

I... don't know if I've ever felt like that. Usually what happens is the euphoria where you simply know it is correct, simply because you've done every step correctly.

Also not enough people have recognized this post of Josh: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/54324-random-stuff-ix-rogue-admins/page-58?p=450634#entry450634I feel like it is our finest work. (Josh and I are in the same place. Prepare for memes.)

I highly recommend his magician drama The Prestige.

Agreed! That's one movie that I like better than its book, and there are very few of those. (Interestingly, in all instances of this, I saw the movie first and then read the book.)

Ah, I just love overly pedantic Tropers erasing my edits. <_<

Rowling's mention of the "Great Sasquatch Rebellion" WAS full of Critical Research Failures and it does SO belong on that page. <_<

I guess being JK Rowling is kind of like being Donald Trump... No matter what you say, someone will defend what you said.

I played a lot of Warcraft II back in the day.  I enjoyed clicking on the background sheep until they said, "Baa raa mew" and exploded.

Yes, the sheep explode if you click on them too much.  It's fantastic.

It took me a minute to figure out where "Baa raa mew" was familiar from, but I think I've put my finger on it--isn't that what the sheep say in the movie "Babe"?

BAHAHAHA. The world needs more dancing walruses. (Er, walri?)

Buffy: 

Kaymyth is right. Just wait until you start Angel's self-titled spinoff, which launches at the end of Buffy season 3.

(Josh and I are in the same place. Prepare for memes.)

And only the dankest will do. Also, we keep getting asked when the site upgrade is coming. Official Response: 

soon-my-friend-soon_o_175785.jpg

Or, in this case, "the person calling her wrong made a factual error of their own, so their entire complaint is invalid." THAT'S A LOGICAL FALLACY, GUY. <_<

I know this is a serious complaint, but. I've recently been watching a Let's Play/Abridged series where characters argue about sociological stuff, including logical fallacies, so I'm kind of giggling at this right now.

I believe some people summoned me to answer this. I do read this thread rather religiously if I am online. Sometimes I just don't have time to respond.

I... don't know if I've ever felt like that. Usually what happens is the euphoria where you simply know it is correct, simply because you've done every step correctly.

That is why I am not going to become a mathematician. Between that, my strange dreams and the wings incident, I could very well become a living transplanar portal after trying too hard to find a solution to an equation.

But is that the sensation wasn't because I've found a pattern. It was because I couldn't find it, and suddenly felt like I was looking at a hole in reality without finding what fills it. Only looking through... looking through the void...

I may not be exactly as outwardly eldritch as 'Zathoth or Voidus, but my universe is still a stranger place than most.

It took me a minute to figure out where "Baa raa mew" was familiar from, but I think I've put my finger on it--isn't that what the sheep say in the movie "Babe"?

Kaymyth is right. Just wait until you start Angel's self-titled spinoff, which launches at the end of Buffy season 3.

That's what I've heard.  I haven't actually seen it, but I'm pretty sure that's where it's from.  But mostly I was gleeing over the fact that you can make pixellated livestock explode by clicking on it enough times.  I know.  There's something very wrong with me.

:D  Which reminds me, I need to go through the episode lists and make a crossover map for Twi so she doesn't accidentally watch things in the wrong order.