Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

That terrifying moment when you receive a PM from an Admin you don't interact with labeled 'Sorry and Congratulations.' What does it mean? Am I in trouble? What did I do? Did someone pass away and leave me their account? Nope! Apparently I won a contest. That's never happened before.

And my mouse is dying, dang it. I need to find new batteries.

I thought the same thing. :P

I'm back from Shavuot!

Three days with all family and no internet wears on you.....I love them but yikes I'm happy to be back online.

Agreed! That's one movie that I like better than its book, and there are very few of those. (Interestingly, in all instances of this, I saw the movie first and then read the book.)

I guess being JK Rowling is kind of like being Donald Trump... No matter what you say, someone will defend what you said.

It took me a minute to figure out where "Baa raa mew" was familiar from, but I think I've put my finger on it--isn't that what the sheep say in the movie "Babe"?

BAHAHAHA. The world needs more dancing walruses. (Er, walri?)

Kaymyth is right. Just wait until you start Angel's self-titled spinoff, which launches at the end of Buffy season 3.

The Prestige is pretty good!

I liked I Am Number Four movie better than the book.....and saw the movie first.

I also liked the eragon movie when I first saw it. (Not amazing not awful). Then I read the book. Then I watched the movie again and went whaaaaat did they do???

Edited by Delightful

That terrifying moment when you receive a PM from an Admin you don't interact with labeled 'Sorry and Congratulations.' What does it mean? Am I in trouble? What did I do? Did someone pass away and leave me their account? Nope! Apparently I won a contest. That's never happened before.

Yeah, same here. :lol:

Also, my front yard is a lake/mosquito breeding ground.

I'm back from Shavuot!

Three days with all family and no internet wears on you.....I love them but yikes I'm happy to be back online.

The Prestige is pretty good!

I liked I Am Number Four movie better than the book.....and saw the movie first.

I also liked the eragon movie when I first saw it. (Not amazing not awful). Then I read the book. Then I watched the movie again and went whaaaaat did they do???

WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT ONE. *grumbles something about cutting to Durza on a bat*

EDIT: Also, WHAT THE STORMS DID THEY DO TO ANGELA?

Edited by Master Elodin

I don't even remember movie Angela :o

Tbh Paolini ruined her for me anyway when she got no backstory in Inheritance. She's now Plot Device to me.

But that's the amazing part! You have to figure it out! Do you know what who she is? :ph34r:

EDIT: In the movie she was Glittery Swamp Lady.

Edited by Master Elodin

So I finally got around to watching Zootopia with my kids. I have to say, with all the "best Disney movie EVAR" reviews I was expecting better. I mean it was pretty good, but I didn't find it as impressive as most people I guess.

One big problem I had with it it the not so subtle racism theme being fatally flawed by the setting and environment of the movie itself. I looked up some reviews and yup, some people saw the same problem I did.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/03/zootopia-review-a-muddled-mess-of-racial-messaging...-and-cute-animals

Fitting excerpt:

Racists appeal to sham biology to make their points about which group is inferior, and Zootopia - believe it or not - actually deals with this. At one point Judy Hopps talks about how predators are biologically given to violent behavior, and it’s really offensive to her predator friends but get this - she’s right. In the context of the allegorical world being built she is 100% correct. In the past predators did kill other animals as part of their biological imperative. They do come from a heritage of violence and savagery. Despite the film’s attempt to make the appeal to biology look wrong, its allegorical base affirms the most racist assumptions about black people - they come from savagery. They have these instincts in their blood.
Edited by The Invested Beard

So I finally got around to watching Zootopia with my kids. I have to say, with all the "best Disney movie EVAR" reviews I was expecting better. I mean it was pretty good, but I didn't find it as impressive as most people I guess.

One big problem I had with it it the not so subtle racism theme being fatally flawed by the setting and environment of the movie itself. I looked up some reviews and yup, some people saw the same problem I did.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/03/zootopia-review-a-muddled-mess-of-racial-messaging...-and-cute-animals

Fitting excerpt:

I haven't seen zootopia yet; this......sounds like a fair analysis.

Fitting excerpt:

So that's why the movie kept popping up on TV Tropes with links like "Innocently Insensitive" and "Family Unfriendly Aesop." I haven't seen it, but hearing that it tackled racism, I'd always assumed that the metaphor went the other way--predators being the oppressors and prey being the oppressed. And I daresay it may have worked better, had that been the case....

I recently moved to an 11-acre piece of property in Idaho and have two cows, a mother and her daughter.

I'm not thrilled about the move, but I'm doing okay.

Yes and he left a fairly unhappy warriormark behind.

So that's why the movie kept popping up on TV Tropes with links like "Innocently Insensitive" and "Family Unfriendly Aesop." I haven't seen it, but hearing that it tackled racism, I'd always assumed that the metaphor went the other way--predators being the oppressors and prey being the oppressed. And I daresay it may have worked better, had that been the case....

Yeah that's the impression I got. They really should have swapped the positions. Even so, the biological aspect still would have been an issue though as it would have inversely pegged racists with a biological trait that made them that way. Linking ideologies with biological hard coding is always a bad idea.

Yeah that's the impression I got. They really should have swapped the positions. Even so, the biological aspect still would have been an issue though as it would have inversely pegged racists with a biological trait that made them that way. Linking ideologies with biological hard coding is always a bad idea.

Yeah, there's a point when every metaphor breaks down, and that one breaks down if you squint at it too hard. Maybe different types of feuding animals would've worked better. Or something. Not entirely sure how to salvage it.

I think maybe this is just the logical end point of all the anthropomorphized animal stuff that cartoons dish out. I know it's probably not fair of me to hold a movie about talking animals to the consistency of  reality and logic, but once you start telling me there's a human message to the story and I should heed the deeper meaning (which most of the positive reviewers do) I can't help but speak up.