Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

17 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

Welp, we're going to see Warcraft here in a few days most likely. Any opinions on whether the 3D showing is worth seeing? I've never been to a 3D movie.

Eh, I prefer 2D. 3D is kind of gimmicky. I can't vouch for the quality of Warcraft's 3D version because I didn't see that.

1 hour ago, Orlion Determined said:

There's really only one movie that "ought" to see in 3d, and that's Avatar.

Any other movie is "fine" but not really essential. Sometimes it's even straight up distracting.

I agree, if the movie isn't full of vivid colours, like Avatar is, our current 3D technology is far from satisfying for me. I always choose 2D if it's available. Especially after Pirates of Caribbean On Stranger Tides. Through the darker parts of the movie I couldn't see what is going on and this movie was full of darker parts :/ Warcraft seems brighter than PoC, but the colors aren't on Avatar level.

1 hour ago, Orlion Determined said:

There's really only one movie that "ought" to see in 3d, and that's Avatar.

Any other movie is "fine" but not really essential. Sometimes it's even straight up distracting.

Derek Jarman's "Blue" in 3D!

Tomorrow I have an exam and everybody is revising... The lecturer is somebody who we have a pretty low opinion about cause he repeatedly make mistakes who somebody who learned programming for even one month wouldn't make and he refused to admit that he was wrong. And his mistakes sometimes pass the area of "stupid mistake" and fly straight into "insane mistakes".

Somebody has gone through the presentation which was on the last lecture (attendance was pretty low as it was a pretty hot time with all the courses ending) and posted the craziest excerpts. We're collectively laughing our brains out on facebook.

Something which doesn't require to know anything about programming to laugh:

The fastest code is the one which isn't executed

14 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I picked up some comic books.

This line. Wow.

"Don't objectify me. I'll make you bleed. I'm a weapon."

I'll be honest, I don't know whether that's cringe worthy, or hilarious.

I'm just sitting here imagining Nightblood saying that and cracking up...

9 hours ago, Delightful said:

I don't know, I haven't done puzzles in forever. I think I like them. Don't know if I'm any good. Real life problem solving I think I'm fairly good at. 

Programming is basically a matter of solving puzzles - you have a toolbox of functions, and you have a goal for what your code to do - the puzzle is how to arrange the functions so that you get the functionality you need. 

Regarding actually learning, there's the question of what language to learn. JavaScript is probably as good as any to try - it's used in web programming (though can be used in other places too). You can find stuff on JavaScript in Silverblade's link to w3schools. 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

About what? :o 

Her research on the Savoy Hospital in London in the 1500's. She's a professor of humanities at BYU, and the station doing the interview is also run by them.

Link, if anyone wants it. It was actually quite fascinating. 

Edited by Slowswift
Added link

5 hours ago, Quiver said:

I picked up some comic books.

This line. Wow.

"Don't objectify me. I'll make you bleed. I'm a weapon."

I'll be honest, I don't know whether that's cringe worthy, or hilarious.

That sounds a bit on the nose... and contradictory, if we want to get specific. Which comic was it?

5 hours ago, Sunbird said:

I'm just sitting here imagining Nightblood saying that and cracking up...

Clearly he considers objectification evil and thus won't rest until sentient swords are acknowledged as people too.:P

@The Honor Spren I don't know where you got that thought from, but if animals are people, then I'm gonna demand my cats to go to work or register as unemployed :P 

Also, I'm number 5 on the list of popular contributors of the week... I've never thought I'd be on that list :o :D

40 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

If animals really are people too, does that make eating any kind of meat cannibalism?? :blink:

No, because cannibalism specifically refers to eating food of the same species you are. Of course if you acknowledge animals as people and then still eat them, you'd still be a terrible person.

6 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

@The Honor Spren I don't know where you got that thought from, but if animals are people, then I'm gonna demand my cats to go to work or register as unemployed :P 

Also, I'm number 5 on the list of popular contributors of the week... I've never thought I'd be on that list :o :D

My cat finds the idea to obey the laws of her slave race to be utterly amusing.:mellow:

Good job, you earned it.;)

7 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

That sounds a bit on the nose... and contradictory, if we want to get specific. Which comic was it?

Ben Percy's Green Arrow.

Rebirth had me optimistic. Overall, #1 was alright, but lines like that -and certain moments in it- make me very wary. Percy's track record doesn't help.

Here's the thing, there's a cool moment in the book where Green Arrow is talking to a guy who the villains are paying... and offers to double what they are giving him for information. And he pull's the same trick with a group of cops.

And he explains that "I'm not rewarding bad behaviour, I'm encouraging goodness".

Thing is, we see stuff that Queen Industries does to help people. Oliver shows a montage of the various projects he's involved in; financing community parks, shelters for abuse victims and the homeless, social works programs. And Green Arrow's whole schtick requires money; it's expensive to be a vigilante!

Could flashing around such money be an issue? Absolutely! But Black Canary's reaction to it, where she is contemptous of Ollie -"How can you help the People if you're the Man"- makes me... concerned. Percy does social commentary with all the nuance of a bag of bricks, so I'm kind of legitimately concerned that we're heading towards "Rich People can't be Good People," and Oliver is going to drop all of his money and go fullstreet mode.

Which is annoying, because I actually really liked the idea of Oliver using his money in the ways he did. It helps differentiate him from Batman.