Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

1 minute ago, Silverblade5 said:

What really pisses me off though is that people try to deny it, and that most of the Reinhard staff got away with it.  Part of the reasos why one of my favorite films ever is Escape From Sobibor. 

At least Holocaust deniers are, by and large, seen as delusional morons here in the West. Holocaust denial is actually illegal in Germany, and while it's legal here in the US, denying it just might get you beaten up, depending on how much of a chull you are about it. The right to free speech doesn't exempt them from the consequences. 

12 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

What really pisses me off though is that people try to deny it, and that most of the Reinhard staff got away with it.  Part of the reasos why one of my favorite films ever is Escape From Sobibor. 

If I was being nice I'd say Holocaust deniers just can't believe human nature could be corrupted so badly. 

Im not being nice. I don't have enough words to describe how vile holocaust denial is. 

re Escape from Sobibor - my teacher of the above-mentioned class said it wasn't a well-made film (?). But it was a successful uprising so :D

2 hours ago, Delightful said:

If I was being nice I'd say Holocaust deniers just can't believe human nature could be corrupted so badly. 

Many of them like to claim it's this, but I find it's always accompanied by other opinions that show their true colors.

When I was about 12 or 13, I watched a documentary on both world wars. At first, I thought is was super interesting; I loved finally finding out how're First World War caused the second and how we can avoid those mistakes later. Super educational. But then . . . It got to the Holocaust. They included pictures, they didn't even have to say much to say very much to convey a sense of horror. They just showed picture after picture taken when US soldiers found the concentration camps. I couldn't watch, I felt sick, I wanted to find my little sister and hug her as tight as I could.

But what really scared me was after it was over, when my extended family was talking about it. My grandpa said that it was a shame people weren't learning what they should from things like this, that history still repeats itself. I couldn't sleep well for a long time. I have an great imagination and all I could think was, What if there's another one? That is what terrifies me more than anything. My dad told me that he would take me to the Holocaust museum in DC when I was in high school, because things like this are important to know. Because we must prevent them from happening again. And now I'm in high school and going to Virginia soon. But I really don't want to know more. There aren't many things I'd rather be left in the dark about, but this is one of them. So, I don't know if there is a right age to learn about this, but I do acknowledge that it must be learned.

I guess that's my two cents.

3 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

When I was about 12 or 13, I watched a documentary on both world wars. At first, I thought is was super interesting; I loved finally finding out how're First World War caused the second and how we can avoid those mistakes later. Super educational. But then . . . It got to the Holocaust. They included pictures, they didn't even have to say much to say very much to convey a sense of horror. They just showed picture after picture taken when US soldiers found the concentration camps. I couldn't watch, I felt sick, I wanted to find my little sister and hug her as tight as I could.

But what really scared me was after it was over, when my extended family was talking about it. My grandpa said that it was a shame people weren't learning what they should from things like this, that history still repeats itself. I couldn't sleep well for a long time. I have an great imagination and all I could think was, What if there's another one? That is what terrifies me more than anything. My dad told me that he would take me to the Holocaust museum in DC when I was in high school, because things like this are important to know. Because we must prevent them from happening again. And now I'm in high school and going to Virginia soon. But I really don't want to know more. There aren't many things I'd rather be left in the dark about, but this is one of them. So, I don't know if there is a right age to learn about this, but I do acknowledge that it must be learned.

The worst IMHO is the pictures of just piles and piles of bodies....and wedding rings and shoes and I have to stop now or I'll give myself nightmares. 

*hugs*

love you guys. 

Edit: This was taking me back to Yad VaShem, Israels official holocaust memorial museum. And the main part of it is shaped like a long triangular prism, and when you get to the end of it, there's a balcony with the most gorgeous view of Jerusalem. And it's so incredibly powerful and beautiful because it says "hey there's was this unspeakable horror we went through but we survived, and we made it back home, and were alive and vibrant again". I guess that's what I hold onto when it gets too much. Somehow, we're stronger than the bad guys, and we're alive .  

Edited by Delightful

43 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Studies in the past show that those who deny acts of genocide are the ones who are most likely to assist in future ones should they occur. 

You say that the worst thing was to see pictures of piles of bodies etc. I think that much worse is to stand in a real gas chamber and see scratches done by human nails in concrete walls... this can be seen in Auschwitz. 

And to think that there are teenagers that try to add more scratches to this wall using their keys etc. Trying to scratch their names. Sometimes the lack of respect for history shocks me so much...

2 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

It's not. I was making a comment on what you said your dad said. 

Oh, okay. 

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

You say that the worst thing was to see pictures of piles of bodies etc. I think that much worse is to stand in a real gas chamber and see scratches done by human nails in concrete walls... this can be seen in Auschwitz. 

And to think that there are teenagers that try to add more scratches to this wall using their keys etc. Trying to scratch their names. Sometimes the lack of respect for history shocks me so much...

Oh my. :mellow:

2 hours ago, Mestiv said:

In Israel there's a country-wide program that takes high school students on trips to Poland to see the places where the holocaust took place. I went in 11th grade and I can still see those scratches on the walls. For some reason, they were what disturbed me the most. It felt very real and visceral and made me picture the people who made them.

It was an intense experience, to say the least.

6 hours ago, Orlion Determined said:

I find the best way to remove a quote is to first select and delete all the text inside. Then press enter to go to a new line - this causes the box to collapse somewhat. Then press backspace, and then it should disappear.

When we had WWII literature period in our set texts (you know, the mandatory books you go over in class?) I was a little depressed. Especially when you read not descriptions, but accounts of the survivors, the books they written. I can't exactly describe what I want to say, but the most depressing wasn't going over all the death and inhumanity that was happening.
The truly terrifying was that familiarity of death, nearness of it. That it was haunting over every word they said, every action they took and every event that happened. It was seeping from everything.

On a lighter note, I don't know whether I should buy White Sand. Before you all scream at me that I totally should, I want to add that I don't know whether I should buy White Sand now.
See, the Polish publisher of Cosmere books said they won't publish a graphic novel (cause they do books). There is a plan to interest some comic book publisher in translating it, but none of us has ever done something like that (trying to get someone interested in publishing something). And even if we manage to do it, there is no guarantee they will translate it 1) right and 2) consistently with the books.

It seems that I should just get my White Sand in English and be done with it, right? I could read it just fine, but my mom also reads Sanderson and I don't think her English is good enough to read it...

Edited by Oversleep

Angel: 

I must say, I like Cordelia much better in this series than I did in Buffy. And it's not that she's gone through any more meaningful character development than she did in that series; I think it's just that she's finally come together as a character. Know what I mean? In Buffy, she felt less like a fully realized character and more a stock character with some interesting traits added in. Now, they feel more like part of her personality and less like something added in. 

Plus, she managed to befriend ghost!Dennis. I won't say that's not awesome. :ph34r: 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

4 hours ago, Iron Eyes said:

Still so good...

main-qimg-527cbeca6d5ab2127118ace7d469b0

I only now fully understood the joke, after all the times I've seen that comic and been amused. Over the duration of the class, was it the class which caused the change in opinion or was it something else? There is a correlation with the time spent doing the cause, and the change in opinion of correlation implying causation, which would have implied the cause of the change in opinion was the cause. But as a stats student, he knows that correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, so it is possible that the class was irrelevant and there was some other reason he changed his mind. 

Of course, in this situation, if there was no other factor in that period of time which might have influenced the opinion, then you could conclude with a fair amount of certainty that it was most likely the course that caused the change.

18 minutes ago, Haelbarde said:

I only now fully understood the joke, after all the times I've seen that comic and been amused. Over the duration of the class, was it the class which caused the change in opinion or was it something else? There is a correlation with the time spent doing the cause, and the change in opinion of correlation implying causation, which would have implied the cause of the change in opinion was the cause. But as a stats student, he knows that correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, so it is possible that the class was irrelevant and there was some other reason he changed his mind. 

Of course, in this situation, if there was no other factor in that period of time which might have influenced the opinion, then you could conclude with a fair amount of certainty that it was most likely the course that caused the change.

He must not remember much of the class, though, because knowing his own train of thought would definitely prove causation.

9 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I haven't been to Poland but......

okay I have no words. I'm just gonna sit here and cry. 

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

On a lighter note, I don't know whether I should buy White Sand. Before you all scream at me that I totally should, I want to add that I don't know whether I should buy White Sand now.
See, the Polish publisher of Cosmere books said they won't publish a graphic novel (cause they do books). There is a plan to interest some comic book publisher in translating it, but none of us has ever done something like that (trying to get someone interested in publishing something). And even if we manage to do it, there is no guarantee they will translate it 1) right and 2) consistently with the books.

We  can always do an illegal fan translation :P when I'll have the money I'll buy WS in digital version in English, then if there is  a polish printed version I will buy it too :P

13 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

Does anyone have any idea what graphic novels are like on the kindle? I tend to buy my books that way recently, but I'm concerned about White Sand. Will it look good on a kindle?

It probably depends on which Kindle you have.  I'd never go for a graphic novel on my Paperwhite, but then I buy all my Cosmere books as real books anyway.  No idea what it'd look like on a Fire.