Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

14 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

I hope you like Virginia, @The Honor Spren! Depending on where you've been living previously, the high humidity in summer might be a shock, but the scenery is truly beautiful, at least in the areas that I lived. Rolling hills, forests, lakes, rivers--excellent habitat for lots of different wildlife. One neighborhood I lived in had a forested swamp in the middle of it, and you could find raccoons, beavers, snakes, lizards, frogs/toads, and lots of different kinds of birds there, including Pileated Woodpeckers, which are America's largest woodpecker ever since the Ivory-billed, to the best of everyone's knowledge, went extinct 70-ish years ago.

Beware, though: when it snows in Virginia, everybody basically loses their minds. School gets canceled when there's like only an inch of snow on the ground, and nobody knows how to drive safely in it unless they have experience from living somewhere like Utah or Idaho, where it snows much more often and more heavily.

Please, Florida is queen when it comes to humidity. :P 45% is what's comfortable indoors and during this summer, we sometimes see fog on the windows, it's that high. 

And though I am looking forward to a change of scenery (the trees will actually change colors in the fall :o) I'm kind of . . . scared of the snow. Only seen that stuff once in my life (if you don't count when I was a baby and lived in Utah). I am definitely not used to that level of cold.

5 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Please, Florida is queen when it comes to humidity. :P 45% is what's comfortable indoors and during this summer, we sometimes see fog on the windows, it's that high. 

And though I am looking forward to a change of scenery (the trees will actually change colors in the fall :o) I'm kind of . . . scared of the snow. Only seen that stuff once in my life (if you don't count when I was a baby and lived in Utah). I am definitely not used to that level of cold.

Yep. Sounds like you'll get along just fine in the summer. I just know whenever my relatives from Utah came out to Virginia to visit my family when I was younger, they would always complain about the humidity even when we long-time Virginia residents didn't think it was all that humid, because Utah is a desert.

As for the snow, in most areas of Virginia the snowfall is usually pretty mild. I can only really remember one big snowfall (about a foot deep?) from when I was living in the Richmond area, and I lived there for 12 years, so big snowdumps like that don't happen very often. If you go into the mountainous areas, it's a different story, though. My family spent a few years in the Shenandoah Valley, and one year my high school canceled classes for like 2 weeks straight because the school district covered a large area of rural farmland, and lots of the skinny back roads where the buses were supposed to go to pick kids up off their farms didn't get snowplowed for the longest time. I guess the school officials had this mentality of, "If not every kid can get to the bus and therefore to school, then everybody has to stay home." It would've been nice to have so much time off if it hadn't meant that we had to make up the missed time later...and if the movie theaters hadn't closed too because of the snow.

20 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

If I may be blunt, I hope it wasn't the "historical" claims made by the author, because those were nearly all either exaggerated or fabricated wholesale. 

Haha no that was just a bit of hyperbole. I know that his history is VERY skewed. I even checked with my history teacher about it!:P just changed my life cos it was an amazing un-putdownable read

Is anyone on the Shard perhaps using Habitica (habitica.com)? I've recently started to use it again, and I'd love to try out the new team-working features they've implemented, but I have no friends, soo... :P 

What is Habitica? It's a simple game, that helps you manage your tasks, develop positive habits, remember about some regular tasks and have fun while doing so! You gain EXP for keeping to your habits etc. It has mobile app for iOS and Android, so yeah... try it out if you have problems with remembering things or managing your tasks :)

25 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Is anyone on the Shard perhaps using Habitica (habitica.com)? I've recently started to use it again, and I'd love to try out the new team-working features they've implemented, but I have no friends, soo... :P 

What is Habitica? It's a simple game, that helps you manage your tasks, develop positive habits, remember about some regular tasks and have fun while doing so! You gain EXP for keeping to your habits etc. It has mobile app for iOS and Android, so yeah... try it out if you have problems with remembering things or managing your tasks :)

Looks amazing :o 

I'm downloading the app now. 

On 8/1/2016 at 10:08 PM, Kaymyth said:

I...thought so?  I swear I remember someone saying that somewhere around here, that letting threads get too long could potentially cause problems.  I always thought it was a bit weird (I know of another forum with threads in the 1,000+ pages), but what the heck do I know about forum design?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not a thing. I was always under the impression it was an aesthetic thing on not having too many replies in a thread.

If anything it did not come from the staff as a directive.

Hello from Nebraska! :D

It's humid here. And it's too flat. I miss the mountains.

But other than that it's gorgeous! And there are lots of cornfields. I am fond of corn, so that's just fine with me. :P 

Edited by Slowswift

It was hidden by the topic creator. I unhid it. I may consider removing the ability to have regular members hide their own topics as there was no reason to hide it.

Pssst Briar King, please add me in such PMs in the future. Thanks! I didn't receive one so I didn't know about it. I'm the forum ops guy.

@The Honor SprenHow about you try Oklahoma instead of Virginia? We have ice cream. :ph34r:

Highlights of band camp so far:

• "Put the body in my office." -The band director

• The band director interrupting sectionals to prank people

• Someone doing the splits in a Hello Kitty onesie while wearing a tuba

• So many death threats. So many.

45 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It was hidden by the topic creator. I unhid it. I may consider removing the ability to have regular members hide their own topics as there was no reason to hide it.

Pssst Briar King, please add me in such PMs in the future. Thanks! I didn't receive one so I didn't know about it. I'm the forum ops guy.

Oh cool I was like whatttttttt.....?

i sent in a message through my notification as it said I no longer had access to content and to "click here" for admin support. Thought I got reported and was scratching my head why. Wonder why it didn't go to ya or wonder who it went to lol

I had attended a couple panels with Max Gladstone at the Readercon, including one where he was a contestant on a Who's Line is it Anyway type "show". Seemed like a good fellow who had studied under the One True Author. 

Anyhow, this morning I got the following from Tor comparing him with Brandon Sanderson (who, to be clear, is not who I was calling the One True Author). Sigh... Will my reading pile ever shrink? It's like the US National Debt at this point!

http://www.tor.com/2016/08/01/max-gladstones-craft-sequence-feels-like-it-could-fit-into-brandon-sandersons-cosmere/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_term=tordotcom-tordotcomnewsletter&utm_content=na-readblog-blogpost&utm_campaign=9780765379429