Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

3 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Why do some people call Halloween the "Devil's birthday," if, according to Christian theology, Satan was never born and doesn't have a body? -.-

Isn't it based off of an old Pagan tradition or something of that sort? (Looking at you for answers @Kaymyth:ph34r:)

Well, if you want a lovely little comic playing all of the misinterpretations and research fails straight, you can't do better than the "Boo!" tract by Jack Chick. Just....be prepared to say "WAT" a lot. 

2 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Why do some people call Halloween the "Devil's birthday," if, according to Christian theology, Satan was never born and doesn't have a body? -.-

Isn't it based off of an old Pagan tradition or something of that sort? (Looking at you for answers @Kaymyth:ph34r:)

This might be of interest for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dziady?wprov=sfla1

Dziady was a Slavic ritual preformed twice a year (around May the 2nd and 30th of October or 1st of November, depending of the moon phase). It was about communicating with the dead and helping them finish their earthly business if I recall correctly :)

So yeah, Halloween is most likely inspired by pagan rituals. 

2 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

Didn't the DnD one get a movie adaptation?

You mean Mazes and Monsters, staring Tom Hanks as either the dumbest, or most IC, roleplayer either?

(Most IC assuming he was playing his character as outrageously dumb. Seriously, who sees a glint of something at the bottom of a pit, assumes treasure and jumps down after it?)

7 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Traditionally speaking, Halloween is known as Samhain (pronounced sowwen) in Pagan circles. The lore says that this is the day out of the year that the veil between the physical world and the spirit world is the thinnest*, allowing various levels of crossover shenanigans. Properly, it is a time to honor one's beloved dead, work divination rituals, and other bits of magick that involve chatting back and forth with folks who wouldn't normally have such an easy time communicating.

Somewhere along the line, certain subsets of Christian culture started equating it with devils and demons and such. Mostly because Christian theology generally teaches that any contact with friendly spirits is impossible, blah blah Satan something bippity boppity boo.

In practice, I've done guided meditation spirit walks to the City of the Dead during this time of year. The place was lit up like freakin' Mardi Gras, man. Why? Because the spirits of those who passed on are excited. The ones who are there are people who have chosen not to move on yet; generally they're either just not ready yet or they're specifically waiting for someone. This is the time of year when they can easily slip over to check and see how their loved ones are doing without kicking up too much of a fuss.

* It also thins up quite a bit around Beltaine, which is at the opposite end of the calendar year.  But while Samhain revolves around honoring the dead, Beltaine focuses a lot more on fertility and the waking of life in springtime.

@Delightful @Zathoth and generally @everyone_else

I just remembered I was to post the thing I drew a couple of days ago. Yeah, i screwed up, but I drew something else to make up for it.

IMG_2235.JPG

WHY SO SIDEWAYS????? As you can see, the charcoal kinda ruined it.

Spoiler

IMG_2236.JPG

A bit blurry, but here is the hierophant. Speaking into a mic carried by an imp, connected to a speaker that does not need electricity thanks to the elditch sigils on it. Oh yeah, that's a demon eye in the background.

IMG_2237.JPG

Oh god, that came out blurry. But anyway. There's Zathoths coffin. on the left is ol' Death, sittin on a beanbag chugging a beer. There are a couple of other guests, but the image cropped them. There's the necromancer.

IMG_2238.JPG

This one's to make it up to you. There's a twisted abomination attempting to ressurect someone in a graveyard. But he's just the host of another malvolent being. Death doesn't like it.

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

13 hours ago, Quiver said:

You mean Mazes and Monsters, staring Tom Hanks as either the dumbest, or most IC, roleplayer either?

(Most IC assuming he was playing his character as outrageously dumb. Seriously, who sees a glint of something at the bottom of a pit, assumes treasure and jumps down after it?)

Nono, I mean a straight up Darkest Dungeon movie version.

(Wasn't he like actively sabotaging the game or something? )

11 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Traditionally speaking, Halloween is known as Samhain (pronounced sowwen) in Pagan circles. The lore says that this is the day out of the year that the veil between the physical world and the spirit world is the thinnest*, allowing various levels of crossover shenanigans. Properly, it is a time to honor one's beloved dead, work divination rituals, and other bits of magick that involve chatting back and forth with folks who wouldn't normally have such an easy time communicating.

Somewhere along the line, certain subsets of Christian culture started equating it with devils and demons and such. Mostly because Christian theology generally teaches that any contact with friendly spirits is impossible, blah blah Satan something bippity boppity boo.

In practice, I've done guided meditation spirit walks to the City of the Dead during this time of year. The place was lit up like freakin' Mardi Gras, man. Why? Because the spirits of those who passed on are excited. The ones who are there are people who have chosen not to move on yet; generally they're either just not ready yet or they're specifically waiting for someone. This is the time of year when they can easily slip over to check and see how their loved ones are doing without kicking up too much of a fuss.

* It also thins up quite a bit around Beltaine, which is at the opposite end of the calendar year.  But while Samhain revolves around honoring the dead, Beltaine focuses a lot more on fertility and the waking of life in springtime.

Thanks for answering that. :) I like that idea much better than just an excuse for cosplay and candy. Especially since my religion also teaches that spirits of the dead can occasionally make contact with us here on earth. I love seeing similarities between different religions. 

Edited by The Honor Spren

Just now, Edgedancer said:
  Hide contents

Those kids deserve an award... and I guess 10 bugs. :P

Still Lupin is a decent enough reason to pick up the series. :ph34r:

Spoiler

Hopefully the superior quality of the story will make up for the fact (to this customer anyway) that Lupin does not take off his shirt. 

Though I find the thought of the customer reading and going "Okay, maybe Lupin takes his shirt off in THIS book" quite amusing. :ph34r: 

Repent! Repent! Judgement day is nigh!*

for real though. Rosh Hashana, Jewish New Year and yearly  day of judgement is tomorrow. 

*or to quote my brother entirely: "repent! Repent! Judgement day is nigh! Ooh bikkies**!" 

**cookies to the Americans :P

Edited by Delightful
Mumble grumble well I thought it was funny

Chocolate can only be a short-term remedy, however. Finding ways to fight off Dementors – or depression – are essential if one is to become permanently happier. Excessive chocolate consumption cannot benefit either Muggle or wizard.

I BEG TO DIFFER, ROWLING

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE, ROWLING

NOBODY ASKED FOR YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS, ROWLING 

21 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I BEG TO DIFFER, ROWLING

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE, ROWLING

NOBODY ASKED FOR YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS, ROWLING 

We must rally against this false believe! Sound the war cry!

Spoiler

5e78a2562bf7aecbc56432612360a0e157e0dc31