Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

2 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:
1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

@Quiverthere appears to be a Kim Possible shaped hole in your soul. Fill it.

I do not know why my mobile won't let me respond outside this quote.

...Edgedancer quoted a reply from Twilyght, dated an hour ago, responding to something I posted 11 minutes ago...

WE HAVE CROSSED INTO STRAIGHT UP EUCLEDIAN GEOMETRIES, GUYS. 

Just now, Quiver said:

...Edgedancer quoted a reply from Twilyght, dated an hour ago, responding to something I posted 11 minutes ago...

WE HAVE CROSSED INTO STRAIGHT UP EUCLEDIAN GEOMETRIES, GUYS. 

Such is the way of the mobile. Do not question you machine overlords. Remember what happened in Night Vale.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Pat Rothfuss.

Sanderson's Warbreaker is also excellent. I have it on PDF from Brandon's site, if you want it.

I have been meaning to read Kingkiller Chronicle, I really liked Rothfuss' short story "The Lightning Tree". Thanks for the suggestions I'll probably read that next. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for Warbreaker, it is actually my favorite of Sanderson's work and near the top of the list of my all time favorite books in general. I have all of Sanderson's work except for Alcatraz as I could never really get into the first book.

18 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

I have been meaning to read Kingkiller Chronicle, I really liked Rothfuss' short story "The Lightning Tree". Thanks for the suggestions I'll probably read that next. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for Warbreaker, it is actually my favorite of Sanderson's work and near the top of the list of my all time favorite books in general. I have all of Sanderson's work except for Alcatraz as I could never really get into the first book.

You know, when I started posting here, 'Warbreaker is Best Cosmere' was a minority opinion; everyone seemed to vote for Mistborn of Way of Kings in that regards.

I've held Warbreaker as Best Cosmere from day one, so. I get hipster cred. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

Those are both shows I vaguely remember growing up. Never watched W.I.T.C.H (though I'll admit to some curiosity) but I did see some Kim Possible, and, um...

...Okay, I admit it. I felt really embarrassed for liking it at the time? Bear in mind, I was in my early teens, and already really self-conscious and embarrassed by the fact that I preferred female leas. And while I wouldn't describe Kim Possible as a girls show -not at all!- at the time, I was too embarrassed to admit I liked it?

I do sort of want to catch up on it now that I'm older and wiser though. And obviously, I've gotten over my embarrassment slightly, which is why I'm currently watching Jem and the Holograms:ph34r:

I mean it does have ""girly"" elements like concern with fashion and popularity - not that that's only for girls but in terms of stereotypes and embarrassment - but I was rewatching random episodes lately and I was (pleasantly) surprised by how much of that there was. I mostly remember Drakken and Ron being hopeless, and Kim fighting Shego and being generally awesome and action-y. 

3 minutes ago, Delightful said:

I mean it does have ""girly"" elements like concern with fashion and popularity - not that that's only for girls but in terms of stereotypes and embarrassment - but I was rewatching random episodes lately and I was (pleasantly) surprised by how much of that there was. I mostly remember Drakken and Ron being hopeless, and Kim fighting Shego and being generally awesome and action-y. 

Again; I was a lot younger, and a lot less secure. The fact that my brother was kind of derisive about the fact that I liked playing female characters in video games, and my own self-conciousness made me sort of embarrassed. Irrational, but, eh. That's teen years for you. 

33 minutes ago, Quiver said:

You know, when I started posting here, 'Warbreaker is Best Cosmere' was a minority opinion; everyone seemed to vote for Mistborn of Way of Kings in that regards.

I've held Warbreaker as Best Cosmere from day one, so. I get hipster cred. :ph34r:

I've been in that boat from the beginning as well. Warbreaker was actually my introduction to Sanderson. The only other work by him that I hold in similar regards is The Gathering Storm.

With that said, you have earned this badge, wear it proudly, or don't, whichever is cooler.
Uy7Vc.png

Edited by Iron Eyes

3 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

I've been in that boat from the beginning as well. Warbreaker was actually my introduction to Sanderson. The only other work by him that I hold in similar regards is The Gathering Storm.

With that said, you have earned this badge, wear it proudly, or don't, whichever is cooler.
Uy7Vc.png

One step closer to Gary status. :ph34r:

Random funny thing I just read:

He could have summoned two dragons! Or five! Not three. That would be ridiculous.

Four would be doable, but why on Earth would you summon four dragons when you could have five? Two offers symmetry without being so close to five that one feels compelled to wonder "why not five", and that's not a question you want people asking.

Six might seem like a better number than five, but then there would be no center Dragon. With two dragons, you don't need a center dragon, for they share an equal partnership. With any more dragons than that, however, there needs to be a clear hierarchy of dragon command. For that, you need a center dragon, and therefore must have an odd number of dragons. This is simple fact.

Seven dragons might seem better still, for it is both an odd number and greater than five, the previous best choice. One would be mistaken, however, for seven is the exact minimum amount of dragons required for dragon political parties to form, and there's still just the one central dragon. The other six dragons will split into two groups, each group with their own economic and social policies and demands of the central dragon. Dragons aren't particularly good at democracy, and a dragon civil war is inevitable with any number greater than, or equal to, seven.

Back when I was rewatching X-men:Evolution I have invented a factor of conversation's degradation.

On youtube it works like this: Read one of the comments. Then read the reply to it but without clicking "show all replies". If the factor is low, it would be related. If the factor is high, not only would the reply be unrelated, but the topic it could be related to is also completely unrelated to the original comment or the video.

For example, original comment would be "I wonder how Kitty phased through Wolverine? Wasn't adamantium unphasable?". Then (without unfolding the rest) you see a reply "The Earth is alive and that's why plants go up, to reach the Sun God."

It's not verbatim, but I actually have seen such thing.

Edited by Oversleep

5 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

Sometimes when I'm on my mobile I see your pic and think it's Quiver for a second if I don't look closely.

yeah, and I get myself mixed up with Edgedancer a little. I was iffy about changing again so soon but I might just anyway. 

edit: Does this work better?

Edited by Delightful

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

yeah, and I get myself mixed up with Edgedancer a little. I was iffy about changing again so soon but I might just anyway. 

edit: Does this work better?

Well, I don't think you are me, so it's probably working. :P

Out of curiosity, have you actually read the comics with Ironheart?

Edited by Edgedancer

28 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Well, I don't think you are me, so it's probably working. :P

Out of curiosity, have you actually read the comics with Ironheart?

No....I don't have money for comics and my library doesn't have a ton....I've also only read the first Ms Marvel :( 

Just now, Delightful said:

No....I don't have money for comics and my library doesn't have a ton....I've also only read the first Ms Marvel :( 

Eh, that sucks. To be fair there isn't all that much to Riri right now, only really her deciding she wants to be the new Ironman because... well she wants to, her brushing off the fact that she stole the parts for her first suit from campus and then taking it on some test flights. (and I think stoping a prison break out or something like that)

First issue or first volume?

Just now, Edgedancer said:

Eh, that sucks. To be fair there isn't all that much to Riri right now, only really her deciding she wants to be the new Ironman because... well she wants to, her brushing off the fact that she stole the parts for her first suit from campus and then taking it on some test flights. (and I think stoping a prison break out or something like that)

First issue or first volume?

so not terribly much of her yet. I won't feel too FOMO :P

um.....volume? I think. She saves her friends brother from some guy in a basement with a codename.